Search results

1. J

John Day's Back Horns

Close! Yes, tht is the gist of it. There are 45 degree corners front top around to the sides, and the black box doesn't go up so high to pinch the 90 degree turn, or quite so far back. It is also 45 degreed when it hits the top and the back, as well as all along th slot at the bottom of the...
  2. J

Little Pinky (Dressed and Undressed)

Oops,confused 'em with an expensive German pentode with high transconductance. I'm s l i p p i n g John
  3. J

12HL7 pentode has 10W plate dissipation and transconductanc of 30,000uMHO, close to the 40,000 of the classic WE437. I discoverd it in the Sylvania tube manual and Joe Roberts confirmed that John Camille had turned him on to that tip. Cheap and readily available, unlike the 6197. Sorry, no...
  4. J

Best CD player used for under $400

I've authorized my sons to offer $20 for a big old Sony PS with RCA jacks on the back. My older son said, "Dad, $30 is too much, they go for $15." I can be a nice guy and a skinflint! John
  5. J

John Day's Back Horns

Backhorns Sorry, Ron, no have drawings to put up. However the front has an upward V baffle inside, with the woofer at the top. The V is packed with stuffing in the middle, where the tweeter sits. The wave expands down the sides of the V after spilling over the top. At the bottom of the...
  6. J

Pinkness and travel David, Yep, sorry to drifting off-topic, but I wanted to let folks know to look in on us. The website is up. It's my first ever, so very simple, but it has pics of us on the bikes with gear. Little Pinky, Little Pinky, Little Pinky... There, back on topic. John
  7. J

John Day's Back Horns

These use an Eminence Beta-8 pro midrange for good bass to 50 Hz in larger-than-usual horns, that load to the floor. The Selenium slot tweeters (plastic version) are very linear and reliable between units. Crossover is 2nd order electrical/4th order acoustic at 3.5K due to units roling off. Oil...
  8. J

Well, Been a long time since I posted... We're going around the world for a year, and you can follow us (my wife and kids and me) as we bike Europe this Summer, backpack Asia in the Fall and Catch the wonders-down-under for "winter". Here are pictures of Little Pinky, my one stage push pull...
  9. J

6336 amp schematics/designs needed

6336 Amp issues Look at the thread "John Day's Big Blue" for some details on ONE way of doing that. The 6336 eats a lot of curent, but dissipates 30W per plate, and has an indirectly heated structure, so no hum pot needed. I made a couple of amps with it, the Blue Magoo detailed above was the...
  10. J

They're going "nuts" over at Audio Asylum >>

Toshiba 3950 Swenson mod update Modkateers: The latest and best mod evolution is now posted at "best CD player used for under $400" thread. It is way simpler than the Vinnie mods, and sounds better. Instead of having 21 dB less output, it has 3dB less and respects absoulute phase. It...
  11. J

Toshiba 3950 mod evolution Swenson mod revisited: The problem we had with the Swenson mod was the very low output level, less than 1% of stock. Hope you have a hot pre-amp! We suspected that the attenuation was on the DAC chip, which has that capability. However, disabling the clock on the...
  12. J

Vinnie and Swenson mods, and more... Look at the thread "best CD player used for under $400". That has the links to the Vinnie and Swenson mods, but chronicles the experience gained from modding 4 players and comparing/remodding/repairing/etc. over the past 6 wks. or so. The power supply mods...
  13. J

Toshiba 3950 phase Fred, The op amp on the Toshiba SD 3950 is configured to invert phase. Assuming the phase is not inverted exiting the DAC, Lee and I (mainly Lee, OK) have concluded that this player inverts phase. We are connecting it with speaker wires reversed. This isn't true for the...
  14. J

Toshiba 3950 The Toshiba project has proceeded pretty well so far. Lee and I have been experimenting to find which cap subs really affect the sound, and the best op amp and op amp bypass cap, since it is fed by a voltage regulator only. The next question is if we can get the DAC to revert to...
  15. J

Rework station access for Tosh 3950 mods Luther, A kind offer, but things have now worked out OK for me. See my last post summarizing the audio stage mods to the Toshiba 3950. You might just do it for YOU. They'll probably send you AD8066 samples if you ask them from work. John
  16. J

Toshiba 3950 and more... David, That's where I've fallen down a bit... I got one cabinet built and stuffed/tuned for the JBL 123A woofers I have from some L-100 speakers. However, the line is too long and narrow to tune-up properly for the original D123, being about 6dB down by 50 Hz at...
  17. J

AD 8066 op amp for Toshiba 3950 David, I COULD read the numbers with magnification! The AD 8066 (AR version) is $3.50 or so from Analog Devices, with $12 shipping, so it's expensive to get one. I tried to get samples,but their computer was smart enought to know I wasn't a real company and...
  18. J

Best CD under $400 David, Well, obviously I'm not out of audio as a hobby, and I've waxed just a bit facetious of late... If I'm not sharing too much, Mark Lyon, who owns Audio Systems here in town wants me to make him a Toshiba 3950 for his secret personal use at home. Obviously this is...
  19. J

Best CD under $400 David, Yeah, my ears just aren't good enough to appreciate the good expensive players anymore; must have caught too much AC somewhere along the way. John
  20. J

Best CD under $400 I don't know what I was thinking, putting up all that info about that cheap little Toshiba 3950. That's not what you need! You gotta have a big, heavy, Rolls-Roycelike, Stereophile Class-A Sony X77ES CD player, complete with silver and Teflon wiring in the output stage and...
  21. J

Toshiba 3950 DVD Player More news on the mods... I got a second deck and did the Swenson mod on it. This mod can be found at http://johnswenson1.home.comcast.net/3950_mod/Toshiba_3950_3960_mod_intro.html This mod taps the signal between the DAC and the op-amp, but after a 5k resistor and...
  22. J

Toshiba 3950 mods I bought one of these last weekend @ Best Buy for $65 including tax. I did "Vinnie's" mods, which you can find on Audio Asylum searching "Toshiba 3950 Vinnies mods". It consists of about $30 from Digi Key and he recommends some non polar Black Gates in the audio couplings...
  23. J

Toshiba 3950/3960 mods Check this link for a good intro to modding these players. http://johnswenson1.home.comcast.net/3950_mod/Toshiba_3950_3960_mod_intro.html
  24. J

Toshiba SD3950 DVD Muchos Garcias, Rick! For those of us less confident in doing a total rebuild, the output caps are c910 and c912, which can be replaced with anything better, and the values don't have to be high. Even .47 uF should be fine into 100K load. This really leaves a lot of options...
  25. J

Toshiba SD3950 DVD Player I was at that Bottlehead meet with ThatchEar and agree that the Toshiba was good for cheap, but bright... Where can that bypass mod be located? I've been hearing about it and it sounds like a great mod, especially if it mitigates the bright sound.
Back
Top Bottom