Search results

1. ChefE

Cassette tapes VS HVAC system

I mounted four Napa Valley 100-cassette tape holders onto the wall. The space on the wall is perfect for the holders size. However that wall is also the corner of the utility closet and the cold air returns. Inside the utility closet is the air handler/ furnace. The inside wall area is where the...
  2. ChefE

Infinity 2500 tweeters lack sound, woofers work?

Hello. Years ago I acquired a pair of used Infinity 2500 speakers from a thrift store. These were the second Infinity speakers I've owned. I used them for a year and then they went in and out of rotation with other speakers. They worked good last time I used them. However the other day I hooked...
  3. ChefE

Qe EMIT vs other "EMIT" tweeter?

Photo 1 "EMIT" tweeter. Photo 2 non "EMIT" tweeter Notice the subtle differences above and below? I have two Infinity Qe speakers. Each was acquired as a single speaker from different thrift stores. It took about 8 months till I got the second speaker. They look similar, but there's...
  4. ChefE

Blue Slime on Power Cord Prongs?

Hello AK. Tonight I put together a different bedroom system just for the fun of it to play some Black Friday Record Store Day vinyl. I noticed on the JCPenny MCS Series VTR Component TV power cord, the base of the plugs prongs have a blue slime around them. I've never seen this regarding stereo...
  5. ChefE

Multiple Turntable Switch Box

Hi. I'm curious. Does anyone manufacture a selector switch box specifically designed for turntables, multiple turntables? A separate component as a hub for individual turntables, even when using a phono preamp, with or without ground wires, and RCA interconnects/cables/jacks. Similar to a A/V...
  6. ChefE

Why grill just the midrange or the tweeter?

Hello. I'm curious to know why is it so many models of home speakers have separate grills only covering the midrange driver, or just the tweeter, sometimes both, used on 3-way (or more) speakers. For 2-way speakers, the tweeter? Why not protect the woofer too? I'm not referring to the main...
  7. ChefE

Who's In- Who's Out: 2017 Major Brands Stop Making Stereos

I still listen to 8-track tapes in 4 channel. I love my cassette deck(s), all 14 of them. Vinyl records- yep, tons! Stereo is on every day at some point. As my audio addiction/hobby/collection grew so did my desire for knowledge of all things audio related. I remember the "golden years" when I...
  8. ChefE

All Mitsubishi Interplay Systems- problems and solutions?

Hello all. A while back I acquired a Mitsubishi Interplay X-10 System including the wood cabinet with glass doors, but without speakers. It was purchased from flea bay and the seller listed it as "it works good now as it did back then". Well..... he lied. The radio works good, minus dirty pots...
  9. ChefE

Help! What's this inside Onkyo TX-DS797 with pulsating output.

Hello. From GW I got an Onkyo tx-ds797 a/v receiver. Came home and cleaned it inside and out, then hooked it up with some sources and speakers. I got sound by "direct" only. Otherwise sound output on all channels from analog or digital sources yielded a intense rapid pulsating sound- not high or...
  10. ChefE

That thing is HUGE! What's your largest receiver?B

The Golden Age of Audio made some monsters. The HD Age has brought some big'ones too. Vintage gear such as the Wintec R-1120 makes the big Sansui QRX-9001 look small which trumps a newer Nakamichi R-1 in comparing size. As does a Yamaha RX-V1400 and the like because every feature conceived is...
  11. ChefE

Balance Knobs- who actually use it?

My stereo receiver has a balance knob. That one has a balance slider. That one has a dial. Do I use them? No. Yes. Sometimes I use 'balance' control to test each side for sound. Then it goes back to the middle position for the remainder of its life without use. It's not like today I'll just...
  12. ChefE

Various Stylus Under A Microscope, DJ, etc.

I used a AMScope at 3x and eyepiece WF15X with LED lighting overhead. Photos by my iPad 4 placing the lens to the eyepiece. I did not use the IPad zoom feature. Maybe I should have as well as additional points of reference/views. Two photos for each stylus- straight down and from the left side...
  13. ChefE

What's Happening in 2017?

Seems a few years have past since any mention of fest. What is going on in 2017?
  14. ChefE

Amplifier recommendations for Infinity 2500 speakers?

Hello AK. I have a set of Infinity 2500 speakers. I've searched the Internet for information and specs. Turns out there is not much info or peoples experience with the 2500's. Found out they are 4 ohm and rumored to have been created specifically for a Southern California chain of stereo shops...
  15. ChefE

Help Identify This Cover or Envelope (Black Light)

Hello all, Yesterday I brought home 3 boxes of record alblums. 1 box mixed soul, funk, jazz, techno and disco; 2 boxes of 80's records. Good ones. Mixed in the stack was this by itself....a vintage black light style poster that's a envelope or record cover jacket or record protector. The only...
  16. ChefE

McIntosh Cassette deck?

Did McIntosh ever make a cassette deck/ player for home audio? I've seen them OEM for a Subaru, but that's not what I'm asking.
  17. ChefE

How do you clean the pots in a Yamaha CX-1 Preamp?

Hello. Im a second owner of a Yamaha CX-1 preamp which has some scratchyness when I turn the volume and tone controls. The pots are ALPS I believe and are sealed- How do you deoxit them or clean them inside? Also the preamp- sometimes the speakers will all a sudden give a loud "pop" sound when...
  18. ChefE

Advice needed regarding phono inputs and a mixer for home use

Hi. This post is regarding home audio use only. Not professional. I have a few turntables (2x Technics SL-1200mk2, SL-5300, SL-J33) and a Pioneer DJM-300-S deejay mixer/ phono preamp. I connect the mixer to a vintage stereo receiver with phono inputs via RCA cables. Even tho the mixer is a...
  19. ChefE

Audio components prefix: RX and SX

I am curious to know why so many different brands have the same letters for the prefix of the models name? Y is "X" so popular? Examples: Yamaha RX-1130 Sherwood RX-4109 JVC RX-903V Hallicrafter SX-24 Pioneer SX-737 Rotel RSX-1057 Pioneer VSX-D510 ZZZZZZZZ-I'm tired.
  20. ChefE

Is this normal: Sansui 8900ZDB power supply

I recently acquired this Sansui 8900ZDB. It works 100%. But while cleaning the inside, I noticed the power supply looks a bit disheveled. Is this normal?
  21. ChefE

Help Speaker ID: Accord

I came across these speakers. The grill badges say "Accord". No where else is any identifying names. They are 'vintage' two way speakers with some extras built on/in. Fairly heavy. Seem well built. My internet search concluded lots of cars, but these speakers -zero results. Does anyone...
  22. ChefE

Speaker Glue?

What kind(s) of glue should be used to help seal the cabinets (interior/exterior) of acoustic suspension speakers and ported speakers that the joinery has loosened?
  23. ChefE

Toshiba SA-7150 vs. Luxman R-117

I'm thinking about getting a vintage'ish new stereo for my main rig. These two have caught my eye but I have no experience with either. How well are they built, sound, prone to issues, got parts available and are there technicians who know how to fix them, etc? However I have owned a Toshiba...
  24. ChefE

Components affected by household issues or run hot, Help Needed

Hello AK. I love music. I love my gear. I want to keep loving it but some run more hot than others. Vintage gear and later such as my QB recapped Sansui QRX-777 reciever (sometimes lights wane in brightness), all original Sansui G-7700 receiver (now has a hummm), Yamaha RX-1600 A/V receiver...
  25. ChefE

Feedback for a JVC JT-T77 Turntable

Hello. Is $400 a decent to good price for 'perfect condition' and 'like new' 1972 JVC JT-T77 Hall Effect Direct Drive turntable and JL-C77 cabinet, including original box with packaging and paperwork. No tone arm included. I'm not familiar with JVC turntables. What do you all think?
Back
Top Bottom