Search results

1. kevintaft

The tale of two Pioneer SA-400 survivors (like Allied 935 and Knight 935)

That white powder corrosion is difficult to remove. I removed the transformers and soaked the my entire chassis in hot water and bathroom hardwater cleaner then scrubbed with toothbrush and eventually dremeled the material I could reach then painted (again what I could reach) with Inline Tube GM...
  2. kevintaft

Burning in Allied 935

Burning in Allied 935
  3. kevintaft

Knight 935 Integrated

Here is the edited drawing - thanks Dandy!
  4. kevintaft

Knight 935 Integrated

I know this is an old thread but the lack of information of these solid little amps and my 6 month journey restoring mine - I thought I would share my experience for the next guy lucky enough to rebuild this well made Japanese amp from the late 60's and early seventies. Construction and layout...
  5. kevintaft

Rebuilding Merrell SA30/National STA-24 ultralinear small output amp - To be continued

Rebuilding Merrell SA30/National STA-24 ultralinear small output amp - To be continued
  6. kevintaft

Deciding on my next integrated amp, what will it be.....

Deciding on my next integrated amp, what will it be.....
  7. kevintaft

Just Finished VOM 1428 Boutique Amp Rebuild

Yeh once you replace some of the aging electrolytic caps and some of those ceramic couplers (although the couplers are not absolutely necessary if you love the sound already) you wont be afraid to play it all day long. I agree its a sleeper and one of my favorite amps....
  8. kevintaft

Chris - I too had a hard time negotiating the capacitor arena to make it safe and clean as possible, this is what I did: C1: Mounted a JJ 150uFx250Volt cap on top C2: Mounted a leftover from old project Nichicon 150uFx200Volt under the chassis C3: CE Manufacturing 80/40/30/20x525V can on top...
  9. kevintaft

Just finished EJ Kozette XAM (HK A300)

Oops, yes EJ Korvette....
  10. kevintaft

Just finished EJ Kozette XAM (HK A300)

Just finished my XAM from EJ Kozette, a HK A300 hiding in Plain Jane clothes. Fortunately it was functional when i got so i was able to test the precondition vs the final config. Average output power before distortion about 10 to 11 watts per channel . Not bad given the Iron that the A300 comes...
  11. kevintaft

Just finished (ok several months ago) my beloved 6BQ5 P-P 14 watt/Channel VOM 1428. A purchased from Ebay and my first EL84 experience in a stereo amp (I've rebuilt several German Radios from the late 50's and early 60's with single ended EL84 outputs and fell in love with their sound). I...
  12. kevintaft

Schematic Links, Tube retail links, local tube testers

Check the top of this page, http://www.vintage-radio.info/heathkit/index.htm, maybe yours is in there i could not find just thirty six - Good Luck
  13. kevintaft

Waiting for the Loewe Opta Magnet 6745W from Germany....

Waiting for the Loewe Opta Magnet 6745W from Germany....
  14. kevintaft

When it rains, it pours...

The EH 7591 are big bottles - a little bigger than the RCA, they sound good and I played them for several months on my office computer/entertainment center but honestly while they did sound good, the old school RCA from the 60's do sound better. The EH's are a great backup but the RCA's are...
  15. kevintaft

When it rains, it pours...

Love Scott, I have an LK72-B that required very little restoration. (Power supply caps) the other American Radionic Caps where in good shape. Changed the selenium rectifier to a silicon bridge and got some New Electroharmic 7591 and vintage RCA and a couple of tube rolls later its my daily...
  16. kevintaft

Vintage Voice of Music 1428

Around tax time this year I purchased a Voice Of Music 1428 tube amp. All original including VOM 6BQ5, 6EU7 and 12AX7 phono tube (except for one Channel Master that was obviously replaced many years ago) The plan was to make this a boutique amp since the topology was pretty simple (albeit in a...
  17. kevintaft

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Pink Floyd Radio on Pandora Newly (partially) Restored HK A500 through AKG K142 HD headphones and Bose 301 Series III speakers. I've been pushing Pink Floyd Radio (Pandora) from my smartphone through the AUX and Tuner inputs.... I'm hooked...
  18. kevintaft

Help: my integrated tube amp has a heartbeat

Did you fix your heartbeat? My HK A500 developed it too right after I finished partially restoring it with 7591S tubes from JJ. I could never get the preamp DC bias for the filaments much hotter than about 24 volts and after about one day of fooling around listening and taking voltage readings...
  19. kevintaft

Resurrectd A500 Amp plays music and has heartbeat

All new caps except one filter cap in the first stage and the coupling caps. Just got my Orange Drops will put those in and consider changing that last filter cap from the previous owner. Thanks for the input...
  20. kevintaft

Resurrectd A500 Amp plays music and has heartbeat

My newly resurrected HK A500 amp just started to exhibit a heartbeat phenomena. The new 7591S tubes I put in (not standard, HK A500 designed with 7355 output tubes) have blue glows that light up in cadence with the heartbeat sound. Just through the little plate access hole in the side of the...
  21. kevintaft

HK A500 works with JJ 7591S

I got back into tube recently after many years of solid state. I started off with a Chinese made amp from Musical Paradise (MP-301 MK3) that works quite nicely and can use a multitude of pre amp and output tubes. At 6.5watts I use it mostly with headphones on my computer and XM at my home...
Back
Top Bottom