Search results

1. ScooterMcTav

Hissing "Static-y" Sound - One Channel - Jolida JD302BRC

Thanks for the feedback folks. Ran it back up to temperature yesterday afternoon and the issue did not recur. Interesting that sockets can get dirty, even with tubes in them. I will add socket cleaning to my periodic maintenance. And no, I do not have a tube tester. Fortunately, I am...
  2. ScooterMcTav

Hissing "Static-y" Sound - One Channel - Jolida JD302BRC

Afternoon all, Listening to some vinyl on my tube system today, and at the end of my fifth record, I had noticed a hissing/static-y sound coming from one channel when they stylus was on the runout. I use only the power section of the amp (in bypass mode) and have it fed by a separate preamp...
  3. ScooterMcTav

Vibrations! Agh! Agh!

Thanks for the ideas folks. Did a few things in the interim including spiking the speakers. This seems to have had the most immediate impact, as it decoupled the speakers from the floor, seriously reducing the vibrations transmitted to the wall. Also used some closed cell foam on the bracket...
  4. ScooterMcTav

Vibrations! Agh! Agh!

So, I’m struggling with isolating my TT from vibrations being caused by my music and am looking for some DIY ideas. Previously, my unsuspended TT (an Elipson Omega) sat on a wall shelf screwed into two wall studs. This sits roughly 3.5 feet above the floor, and is located between my fronts...
  5. ScooterMcTav

The Poor Man's KT88

And now some longer term use feedback. Working from home today, and thought I'd spin some vinyl. For the first time on my tube rig I dropped on the RSD release of Fountains of Wayne "Welcome Interstate Managers". Not sure if I believe in tube break-in, and possibly it is just a really nice...
  6. ScooterMcTav

The Poor Man's KT88

The amp can handle both types of tubes - although nominally designed for EL34 and equivalent tubes (biased at 400mv), the EH KT88 were biased at 500mv, and sounded great. Only difference was a bit more hum from the transformer. Apologies, but cannot give a comparison in this specific case...
  7. ScooterMcTav

The Poor Man's KT88

They were the reissues.
  8. ScooterMcTav

The Poor Man's KT88

For me in Canada, the GL KT77 would have cost more than the EH KT88. Looking for a budget tube, this wouldn't have worked. This being said, the JJ KT77 would have cost the exact same amount as the EH 6CA7. Problem is (as mentioned) the poor quality. I had a quad of JJ EL34 stored - pulled...
  9. ScooterMcTav

The Poor Man's KT88

Just wanted to share a recent experience. My Jolida JD302BRC can use a variety of power tubes including those usually compatible with EL34 (EL-34, KT77, 6CA7) and the higher powered KT88, 6550, etc. The amp just needs to be manually biased with a multimeter. When I first got the amp, it came...
  10. ScooterMcTav

New and Exciting - Bias Drift

Hi Petercapo, Even with the bias lights tweaked, I still use the multimeter to set voltages. So with my backup EL34 in the amp, I've manually biased them to the correct 400mv. To my mind, the bias lights just provide an indicator of something wrong happening. The multimeter fleshes out the...
  11. ScooterMcTav

Nope, I had a backup set of TS6550 (one of which went bad in storage), and a set of JJ EL34. Was surprised to see the price of the KT88 appear to have gone up over the last number of years. Has me wondering if a set of EH 6CA7 might be a reasonable affordable option.
  12. ScooterMcTav

Thanks Petercapo, The 302 has the same guts as the 502 (confirmed with Jolida) so it can safely run the KT88/6550 variant of tubes as well. The mod to the LED was done professionally to move it to light up at 500mv. So no worries there. Only difference I've detected when running the KT88 vs...
  13. ScooterMcTav

Hello all, I've owned a Jolida JD302BRC for about three years. For 2.5 of these years, I've run a second-hand set of EH KT88 power tubes. Currently using it in bypass mode as a power amp only. Amp used to get used very regularly, and I never had biasing problems. Mine has the EZ bias LEDs...
  14. ScooterMcTav

Advise on speakers selection (Ruark, KEF...)

Your post caught my eye, as I have had a set of Forte in my setup at one time. They were very dynamic and lively speakers that greatly improved once I made some mods to the cabinets and horns. Horribly resonant unbraced boxes that benefited from some absorptive material on the interior panels...
  15. ScooterMcTav

So what's this "Naim" thing all the kids are talking about?

Hope you enjoyed the title - not too many kids these days into hi-fi, though we can continue to try. Looking for an upgraded integrated for a system I use at my cottage (currently a surprisingly capable Pioneer Elite A-20), and wanted to try something different. I've had audio friends speak...
  16. ScooterMcTav

What's British in your system?

Loved looking at my old posts in this thread. The more things change, the more I keep adding or upgrading British gear in my various systems. Living room - B&W 683, MF A3 integrated, MF X-Ray V3 CD player Office - Proton 1100 preamp (NAD), 12AX7 Mullard NOS tubes, MA Silver 6 Cottage -...
  17. ScooterMcTav

I like English speakers

We all like British speakers....else why are we here? Some of the electronics are pretty damn good too.
  18. ScooterMcTav

Rega Apollo

Thought I'd bump this - talked to a local shop who said repair would typically be $250-300. However, since I had touched it, he said he couldn't guarantee me any price, and I would need to "blank cheque" it for him to look at it. So cracked it again, and it looks like I was plugging the six...
  19. ScooterMcTav

New to me Integrated Challenge

G'day all, Currently getting rid of excess gear with the intent to acquire one good SS integrated for my system. This will be paired with a set of Monitor Audio Silver 6. Challenge I have is that I cannot seem to find any voicing I like. I've tried more modern receivers (Musical Fidelity...
  20. ScooterMcTav

Forte Problem

Well I took a break from working on the cabs, and thought I'd spend a few minutes looking at the drivers. Dug up a nice vintage Kenwood I had for the bench test. So I brought the box of drivers and the xover into the house, and stated to hook them up to the xover and the amp. What surprised...
  21. ScooterMcTav

Forte Problem

Hi Moray, That was my thought too, but with the drivers all showing neither open or closed circuits, and the xovers having no open circuits, I was a bit stumped.
  22. ScooterMcTav

Forte Problem

Morning all, I have a pair of original Forte that have never made it into regular rotation, but were great second speakers in a dual speaker setup for certain types of music. These were purchased cosmetically challenged, but mechanically sound, and had the Crites tweeter upgrade done...
  23. ScooterMcTav

Rega Apollo

Further note - plugged it in, and it had the full lit display. Moved the head roughly to the middle, powered it off and on, and got the Rega Apollo display. Opening the lid generates a door open signal, closing it displays initialize, though nothing appears to be moving (no spindle spin on...
  24. ScooterMcTav

Rega Apollo

Hi all, So I bought an old Rega Apollo (1st gen - the wide bodied ones) knowing it had a disc read issue. Sure enough, CDs would start to play, then would stop 20 seconds or so into the disc. Trying the most logical easy solutions, I cleaned the lens. Nope. I then opened it up, and cleaned...
  25. ScooterMcTav

Arcam A85 - DC Offset issue

I realize that 17 year old pieces are not as vintage as we normally see here, but have been stumped with a problem with my used Arcam A85. First off, I really like the piece. Not the most powerful integrated I own, but it has a lovely balance of solid sound, and detail without becoming...
Back
Top Bottom