Search results

1. ScooterMcTav

Hissing "Static-y" Sound - One Channel - Jolida JD302BRC

Afternoon all, Listening to some vinyl on my tube system today, and at the end of my fifth record, I had noticed a hissing/static-y sound coming from one channel when they stylus was on the runout. I use only the power section of the amp (in bypass mode) and have it fed by a separate preamp...
  2. ScooterMcTav

Vibrations! Agh! Agh!

So, I’m struggling with isolating my TT from vibrations being caused by my music and am looking for some DIY ideas. Previously, my unsuspended TT (an Elipson Omega) sat on a wall shelf screwed into two wall studs. This sits roughly 3.5 feet above the floor, and is located between my fronts...
  3. ScooterMcTav

The Poor Man's KT88

Just wanted to share a recent experience. My Jolida JD302BRC can use a variety of power tubes including those usually compatible with EL34 (EL-34, KT77, 6CA7) and the higher powered KT88, 6550, etc. The amp just needs to be manually biased with a multimeter. When I first got the amp, it came...
  4. ScooterMcTav

New and Exciting - Bias Drift

Hello all, I've owned a Jolida JD302BRC for about three years. For 2.5 of these years, I've run a second-hand set of EH KT88 power tubes. Currently using it in bypass mode as a power amp only. Amp used to get used very regularly, and I never had biasing problems. Mine has the EZ bias LEDs...
  5. ScooterMcTav

So what's this "Naim" thing all the kids are talking about?

Hope you enjoyed the title - not too many kids these days into hi-fi, though we can continue to try. Looking for an upgraded integrated for a system I use at my cottage (currently a surprisingly capable Pioneer Elite A-20), and wanted to try something different. I've had audio friends speak...
  6. ScooterMcTav

New to me Integrated Challenge

G'day all, Currently getting rid of excess gear with the intent to acquire one good SS integrated for my system. This will be paired with a set of Monitor Audio Silver 6. Challenge I have is that I cannot seem to find any voicing I like. I've tried more modern receivers (Musical Fidelity...
  7. ScooterMcTav

Forte Problem

Morning all, I have a pair of original Forte that have never made it into regular rotation, but were great second speakers in a dual speaker setup for certain types of music. These were purchased cosmetically challenged, but mechanically sound, and had the Crites tweeter upgrade done...
  8. ScooterMcTav

Rega Apollo

Hi all, So I bought an old Rega Apollo (1st gen - the wide bodied ones) knowing it had a disc read issue. Sure enough, CDs would start to play, then would stop 20 seconds or so into the disc. Trying the most logical easy solutions, I cleaned the lens. Nope. I then opened it up, and cleaned...
  9. ScooterMcTav

Arcam A85 - DC Offset issue

I realize that 17 year old pieces are not as vintage as we normally see here, but have been stumped with a problem with my used Arcam A85. First off, I really like the piece. Not the most powerful integrated I own, but it has a lovely balance of solid sound, and detail without becoming...
  10. ScooterMcTav

NAD 7140 Preamp Section Not Working

Hello All, There were actually two threads similar to this already on AK, but I do know we like to have folks start their own threads. And really, thread #1 was full of folks who are way smarter than me, while thread #2 was a guy who just cleaned his controls and got things working...
  11. ScooterMcTav

Tell me what I am hearing - Altec vs Monitor Audio

...so I pick up a lot of vintage stereo equipment from a guy via local classifieds. My main item I wanted in the lot was a Thorens TD-166, but it also came with a Kenwood KR-6400 and a set of refoamed and potentiometer-repaired set of Altec Lansing Model 5. Had a good listen to them on my...
  12. ScooterMcTav

Single Full Range Driver Selection

G’day all, I have recently come into possession of a single-ended tetrode Musical Paradise MP-301 integrated. Though I originally thought it might sound good with my Klipsch Fortes, it did not. As I’ve pretty much concluded that I will use it as an office system, I was considering building my...
  13. ScooterMcTav

Yamaha CA-610 II Speaker Relay

Hello all, Found the above mentioned receiver at the local electronics recycler, and was hoping to get it fired up to test head-to-head against my Sony STR-5800. When doing initial checks (power on, and DC offset checks), I did not hear the normal noise of the speaker relay switching on, and I...
  14. ScooterMcTav

Polk RT5 Rattlefest

Hello All, Recently stumbled into a set of Polk RT5. Nice medium bookshelves, and the folks over at Stereophile were suitably impressed by them: https://www.stereophile.com/content/polk-audio-rt5-loudspeaker Anyways, I hooked them up to my tube setup, and I noticed they sounded "rattly" and...
  15. ScooterMcTav

Sony TC-K15 - Weak channel with hum

Morning all, I was pleased to locally fine a nice vintage Sony aluminum-fronted deck to match my STR-5800SD receiver I used in my living room system. It was sold for a whopping $5 as "not working" and my natural assumption was that the belts were shot, and worth a flyer. So picked it up...
  16. ScooterMcTav

Sony STR-5800

So have been looking for a vintage piece to sub out a Musical Fidelity a3.2 from my second system. I’ve owned this same integrated twice, and although I love its gobs of power, I hate that I need to use an EQ with it for decent bass in my room. My local vinyl guy posted a vid today showing the...
  17. ScooterMcTav

Went and Did this Yesterday....

Added in the Fortes yesterday. Had demoed these at the seller's house early last year, and passed on them. Problem was he had them in a hard room hooked to a Carver pre/power, and they just didn't sound good. However, I know that my room can soften edgy speakers, and the tubes seem to get the...
  18. ScooterMcTav

Vintage Speaker Alternative

Although I have flirted with vintage speakers (CVs, Smaller Advents, Ohm Walsh 2, Polk Monitor 7, Klipsch Forte) in a quest for some solid bass, I always end up disappointed with the high end performance. None of the old boxes seem to deliver the precision up top newer speakers do. That being...
  19. ScooterMcTav

Decisions, decisions

So as usual, I am churning speakers looking for the magic set. I currently have some wildly different contenders I am considering locally, and would like the thoughts of others. Fortunately, all fit within my budget. As a side word, I do have a set of Monitor Audio Silver 6 which I do love...
  20. ScooterMcTav

Monitor Audio "Bronze 2" - Help required

Any help IDing these would be appreciated, including specs. These look to be at least four generations old (Bronze, BX, BR have come since), but I am having a hard time finding specs, as all "Bronze 2" searches come up with current Bronze 2 models. Can anyone confirm the specs on these for me?
  21. ScooterMcTav

Spelunking the Depths of Thump

As I was listening to my Smaller Advents the other day, I realized that vintage speakers can return a decent top end, yet give us some of that vintage thump we like. This got me to thinking, what other vintage speakers might be out there that have equal to (or better) HF performance than the...
  22. ScooterMcTav

Cerwin Vega 12TR

Yet again, I have moved along another set of CVs, yet now have my eye on another set. They are from the early days of CV (like my old A-123), so I know they will have a much different character than the modern ones. The set are 12TR with front and rear firing tweeters, a front mid, and a...
  23. ScooterMcTav

Need Wood, a silver face, and MC phono stage

I sure am diggin’ my silver/wood system set up in my living room right now. Of course there is nothing wrong with the Musical Fidelity a3.2, and it’s got gobs of power for the Smaller Advents. But I do wonder if there is a nice silver face/wood trimmed integrated out there with an MC phono...
  24. ScooterMcTav

Just curious...

...as to why my 2 year old Wharfedale Diamond 10.6 are sitting unhooked in the basement, and I’m listening to Beethoven’s 9th SACD on a set of Smaller Advents. And loving it. Ideas?
  25. ScooterMcTav

Monitor Audio - Brand New Monitor Series Announced

New in my email box this AM. These appear to be the sub-Bronze replacement for the MR series, and have poly cones and a "black" C-CAM coated tweeter...
Back
Top Bottom