Search results

1. mars_volta

Advent Legacy woofers in Boston A150?

I picked up a pair of Boston A150 IIs that are missing the original woofers. Not finding much for OEM replacements, I bought a couple of Advent Legacy II woofers on the bay. From what I remember, they are nearly identical to the Boston A100/A150 woofer. 10" paper cone with 3 rings, vented pole...
  2. mars_volta

Onkyo TX-SR674 HDMI repair

I have an Onkyo TX-SR674 from about 2006 that is my main home theater receiver. It developed the HDMI output issue like many other models from that era. Turns out there are a bunch of 100 ufd caps on the HDMI board that go bad. I replaced them all with new 16v caps. $ 0.24 ea. from digikey. The...
  3. mars_volta

Amazon Fire stick

I finally ordered a Fire stick when they dropped to $24 last week. I recently joined Prime and wanted to watch Mr. Clarkson again. :) I have to say that I am impressed. I've been running a WD Live TV plus for years and recently added a Rpi 3 to take over the Kodi/Mythtv front end. The WD was...
  4. mars_volta

Rpi PHAT DAC

Just set up a Raspberry Pi Zero W with a PHAT DAC and installed Volumio. I am very impressed for $20 !! I used to stream shoutcast all the time about 15 years ago and didn't realize how much I missed it. I did some comparisons between the Rpi playing FLAC and the same cd in my Parasound cd...
  5. mars_volta

ADS L300C

Picked up some ADS L300C for $5. Classic ADS sound. These little guys can rock!
  6. mars_volta

Pinnacle PN8+

Picked up these little Pinnacles for a couple of twenties. They are giving the ADS L620 a serious run for the money! I've very surprised at how much power they can take. The low end extension is excellent and not boomy at all. The ADS has a bit warmer mid bass with more top sparkle. The...
  7. mars_volta

DBX 2231 EQ problem

I recently picked up a DBX 2231 EQ and found it has a problem. Channel 1 is real weak and the 400 hz slider causes static (like continuous pink noise) and the input gain to act crazy if I lower it below the zero line. If I turn on the 6db range switch, it works fine. Does anyone have a schematic...
  8. mars_volta

Chester Bennington suicide

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/report-linkin-park-singer-chester-bennington-commits-suicide/ RIP
  9. mars_volta

Dayton iMM-6 Mic + AudioTool on Android

I've been messing around with the iMM-6 mic I recently got. Bought the Audio Tool app and installed the cal file. Works great. I've pink noise tested a few of my systems and its interesting! My Sony MDR-7506 are the flattest and smoothest. The L1530s come in second (this is in a room), and the...
  10. mars_volta

Inherited a bunch of Victrola 78s

I inherited a box of 78s from my Grandfather. There are several Victrola books full of albums and several other books full. Looks like I need to get a Victor talking machine. ;)
  11. mars_volta

Merry Christman to me! ADS L1530

Just got back from a cannonball run to get these. Now to get them in the house. :banana:
  12. mars_volta

JBL L100T incomplete value

I am looking at a pair of JBL L100T speakers that have possible fair cabinets and grills. They have been used in a protected outside environment for some time in MN. The woofers and tweeters went 'bad' and were replaced with other speakers. I am thinking of offering $100 if the cabinets aren't...
  13. mars_volta

First pair of Acoustic Research! AR-2ax

Rescued a pair of AR-2ax today. First gen- cloth surrounds, cast woofer, orange dome tweeter. A little beat up but I think they are older than me so.. Hooked them up and no sound from the mids or tweeters. I worked the pots in back but nothing on either speaker. Woofers seem fine and put out...
  14. mars_volta

Adcom preamp not sounding good

I've been using an Adcom GFP-565, GFA-555 and an Adcom CD player for quite a while. They sound fantastic but I've noticed sometimes the right channel isn't at bright as the left. I recapped the amps input board already. I kept telling myself its my imagination then finally I bypassed the poly...
  15. mars_volta

Picked up BK ST-140 amp and Pro-5 preamp

Picked up a nice B&K Pro-5 preamp and B&K ST-140 power amp. Can't wait to hook them up and listen! Is this B&K company related to the BK Butler Tubeworks Mosvalve guitar amp company? Both use mosfets to get a tube sound. I love my BK Tubeworks 962 power amp.
  16. mars_volta

Ohm Model H

I picked up some Ohm Model H from an alley a while ago and of course the foams were shot and they have severe water damage on the bottoms. :no: Thankfully all the drivers work and sound good. Re foaming the drivers for now. One cabinet is much worse than the other. Not sure what to do with it...
  17. mars_volta

JBL L166 A

I've been working on a pair of JBL L166 A's I picked up a while back. Of course the foam was shot and there's a few nicks in the wood but otherwise they are very nice. Even have the manual. The serial numbers are apart by about 15 and the L-pads on the newer one are different. Neither of them...
  18. mars_volta

Picked up a Marantz PMD510

I came across a nice Marantz PMD510 for a good price. I haven't had a working deck in 20+ years. Time to dig out those old Dr. Demento mix tapes!
  19. mars_volta

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8

In my studio rack, I have been using a recapped Delta 1010LT with a PCI to PCI-E low profile card with Ubuntu 14.04 and Ardour. No problems at all. I've been wanting to go USB to get out of the PCI stuff and found one of these FTU cheap on CL and thought I would try it out. Seems ok with windows...
  20. mars_volta

My system from 1992

I found this old picture from 1992 when I was in high school. Looks like Megadeth and Metallica cds on the floor. I think the speakers were either Sony 3 way 12" or a 2 way bookshelf and diy sub. Sansui TT, Sharp cd player, Fisher dual tape deck and hi fi vcr, Sony receiver. IIRC, I used a...
  21. mars_volta

Mystery Misco tower speakers

I picked these up at the thrift store today for $12. Saw them across the store and ran. Badge on the front says "Misco". Minneapolis Speaker Co. They look custom built and from what I could feel, the drivers were decent. I could tell the tweeter was quality at least. In the cart they went. Got...
  22. mars_volta

M-Audio Delta 1010LT Capacitor replacement

Not sure if this is the right place for this. I use a Delta 1010LT 8 channel audio card in my home studio. I recently upgraded all my equipment including the PC. I discovered the Delta channel 1 was acting up and had bulging power rail caps. Some of the inputs distorted easily and the outputs...
  23. mars_volta

Carver PM 300

I'm going to pick up a Carver PM 300 tomorrow. I plan on using it in my new rack of studio stuff. 1U space, balanced ins, looks nice. Can't wait to try it out!
  24. mars_volta

Boston A100 II vs Snell Type E II

Just curious how these would compare. I know the Snells are a bit more crafty but I'm wondering about the sound. The tweeter on the back really intrigues me. :scratch2:
  25. mars_volta

Klipsch KG 4.2 loose resistor

I picked up a nice and cheap set of KG 4.2 oak from an older lady. I tested them and they worked ok. When I threw them in the car, I noticed something loose inside one. Got them home and pulled out the passive. There was a resistor laying in the bottom of the cabinet! Completely unsoldered from...
Back
Top Bottom