Search results

1. bonaccmj

What CD Player Do You Use?

Wow, I rarely log into Audio Karma anymore, but I just saw this thread I started (can't believe it was almost 7 years ago!) and I'm glad to see people still sharing their CD players. I know a CD renaissance like vinyl has been enjoying is unlikely, but I'll always stand by the format. I figured...
  2. bonaccmj

Entry-Level High End Power Amps... Need Advice

Beautiful M2x build!! I hope to one day build the First Watt F5 Turbo, I think that's all I'll ever need as far as really really nice amps go. Until then, I'll play around with inexpensive gear like one of these amps. We'll see how close I can get.... Thanks for your input!
  3. bonaccmj

Entry-Level High End Power Amps... Need Advice

Hey everyone, I'm getting bored sitting around in quarantine, and so I'm giving some serious thought to purchasing an old (but good) solid-state power amp. I don't need one, but I'll do it just for the sake of fun and hearing something different than what I've got for a change. I'm sure most of...
  4. bonaccmj

Ultimate Marantz Model 7 Restoration Thread

Does anyone have the specs for the original transformer Marantz used in the Model 7? Like I mentioned above, I'm planning on building a replica and it looks like the original power supply used is a pretty good design as far as getting the proper B+ voltages. If I can find a similar power...
  5. bonaccmj

Ultimate Marantz Model 7 Restoration Thread

I'm going to revive this old thread because I have some info that others may not be aware of that could be of use if one happens to be restoring a Marantz 7, or perhaps building a clone... Those Arizona capacitors are expensive. I don't know if there's another source, but Parts Connexion sells...
  6. bonaccmj

Output Wattage Doesn't Match Left-to-Right???

Ah, OK. That's good to hear. So in other words, my amp isn't in any danger, is it?
  7. bonaccmj

damacman: They do read at the same position (at zero) when the music isn't playing. They only read differently once I put a CD or record on. c_dk: Nope, I got the amp from a family member. It probably hasn't been used in years. Until now, of course.
  8. bonaccmj

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've posted anything. Anyway, I recently came into a McIntosh MA6850 integrated amp. It is an absolutely wonderful piece of equipment and has virtually ensured that I will be totally deaf one day! It's got so much power!!! I've run into a slightly troubling...
  9. bonaccmj

My DIY Turntable

Hi everyone, I'll try and answer your questions as best I can. Most seem to be interested in the dual-plinth design. I've included these pictures to hopefully illustrate my points. First, take a look at the the legs I made to support the top layer from the bottom. I made these from a 1/2"...
  10. bonaccmj

My DIY Turntable

Hello everyone, just thought I would show off my new turntable! :D It's still a work in progress, as I have some speed issues to figure out until I'm completely happy with it, but nonetheless I'm ready to show the good people of the Audio Karma forums. So you know what you're looking at...
  11. bonaccmj

Cork mat?

A lot of people will say the mat matters, some will say it doesn't. Personally, I think it makes a difference, but it is very small, and in any case, if the mat is implemented properly, it will sound its best. Also, it will sound most similar to other mats in optimal conditions as well...
  12. bonaccmj

Do you guys think this is a decent entry-level system?

You guys are right about the rear speakers, they do sort of ruin the imaging. However at the moment 1) my normal listening position is, unfortunately, not optimal for perfect stereo imaging, and 2) the rear speakers give the sensation of the sound coming from INSIDE the room, to such a degree...
  13. bonaccmj

Thanks for the replies everyone, appreciate it! c: so_ein_pech: If you get the chance, get your hands (ears? ;)) on one of the Xiang Sheng or Grant Fidelity DACs. For the price they are fantastic -- I would be shocked if anything else could come close to them at that price point. I...
  14. bonaccmj

So I'm finally posting some pictures of my stereo system. It's really nothing wild, I think. I want to hear what others think about it though! I guess I'll start with the sources: My main source is the Audio Technica AT LP120-USB turntable. It's been heavily modified my myself. The...
  15. bonaccmj

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Listening to My Bloody Valentine's Kiss the Eclipse compilation (4 of their late-80s EPs all on one disc) on my JBL J2060 bookshelf speakers. Is it weird that I like to listen to Lo-Fi recordings on my Hi-Fi stereo? :D:music::scratch2:
  16. bonaccmj

Yamaha Receiver Phono Stage Opinions?

Hmm, thanks for your reply, Jpowell1. I tend to agree, the Yamaha does sound awesome (though again I have virtually no comparison). I guess I was curious because I am wondering if an upgrade to a stand-alone phono preamp would be worth it. I'm very happy with it as it is now, but how would I...
  17. bonaccmj

Yamaha Receiver Phono Stage Opinions?

Hi all, I have a Yamaha R-S300 receiver, about a year old, and so far I love it. However, I am just curious how you think this receiver's (or ones similar to it) phono stage stacks up to other ones you've heard. Personally, I prefer listening to vinyl and I can't fault the phono stage in my...
  18. bonaccmj

Finally, a good reason to own a smart phone: RPM Calculator

Wow! Just wanted to say thanks to OP -- so glad I stumbled across this thread and found out about this. This will be very helpful to me in the near future for a project I'm working on... ;) (BTW, as a tip -- take any sort of case, screen protectors, etc., OFF your phone if you are worried...
  19. bonaccmj

HELP!!! Speed Control Problem

Sam, I've tracked down a suitable replacement for the speed detecting head and am currently waiting for it to arrive. Now I just wanted to know what the VD1212 varistors you referred to here are -- what do they do and will it be necessary to replace them? More importantly, would you be able to...
  20. bonaccmj

Do you mean where it mounts to the plinth under the platter? No, like I said previously (though I was probably just unclear), I only have the motor, platter, power supply, etc., to be used on a custom turntable. By the looks of the drawings in the service manuals for the X20 and X6, they are...
  21. bonaccmj

Hmmm. It looks like they're slightly different sensors used, although I wonder if they aren't so different that they wouldn't be interchangeable. Sam seems to be knowledgeable about this: Do you think the sensor for the PS-X6 would work in a PS-X20? Either way, it may be worth a shot!
  22. bonaccmj

Well, thank you both for your help, I really can't express how much I appreciate it! @Sam Cogley: I looked up the service manuals for both the PS-X20 and the PS-X70 and the parts numbers for the speed detecting head are the same! :banana: Therefore, it's pretty safe to assume that all the...
  23. bonaccmj

Hey Sam, thanks for your reply. You seem to really know what you're talking about regarding these sorts of things; do you mind if I PM you regarding this turntable? Btw, the speed detector has been completely removed -- I need to figure out how to make some sort of replacement. Thanks!!!
  24. bonaccmj

Hi everybody, I'm in the beginning stages of what should turn out to be a really cool project, but there's something I am really gonna need some help with. I want to build a turntable and I think I've got everything all figured out as far as parts and installation and fabrication all go. I...
  25. bonaccmj

HELP!!! Turntable Speed Control Problem

Hi everybody, I'm in the beginning stages of what should turn out to be a really cool project, but there's something I am really gonna need some help with. I want to build a turntable and I think I've got everything all figured out as far as parts and installation and fabrication all go. I...
Back
Top Bottom