Search results

1. c_corie

Is the McIntosh 6200 a good value still?

I have B&W CM8 speakers and a Hegel HD2 DAC. I usually use tube stuff, single ended mostly. I like the idea of a 6200, I’m not sure how practical it is or what usually breaks or needs work, or how much that work costs? What’s a fair price for one? Any other “older” McIntosh amps I should...
  2. c_corie

Epicure EPI 105 speakers.

Will be getting them within a week from a guy on eBay. He says they work fine. The woofers have been poorly re-foamed so I’ll order new ones from Human Speakers. He says the tweeters work, I’m hoping it’s a simple woofer swap. Anything I should look out for? Any common issues? Any...
  3. c_corie

Medium priced two way floor speaker?

I should have bought those Vienna acoustics Bach speakers 1-2 years ago on clearance for like $1300. Does anyone else make a medium sized medium priced nice and plain looking 2 way tower speaker? I don’t want to get into 4-6k Audio Note stuff and it’s really oversized bookshelf’s anyway. Any...
  4. c_corie

My stupid mono dream?

I have NEVER owned a turntable. The only mono recordings I have are the Beatles CD box set and I bought three of the “individual” 2014 Vinyl remasters on clearance years ago in mono, With the Beatles, Rubber Soul and Revolver. I wish I had found MMT in mono, but oh well. I have a friend with...
  5. c_corie

One speaker for mono?

I have thought about it for years. I have the Beatles in mono on CD and some of the vinyl “from the tapes” remasters. No record player yet though! I’m wondering if there is a modern speaker that isn’t super expensive that would excel at being a “mono” speaker. I plan to possibly bi-amp with...
  6. c_corie

Weird stereo separation issue...

So I have “slight” hearing loss, sudden from a virus in 2018- in my left ear. It starts at about 5khz and gets much worse around 11-13khz and really drops off around 14.5/15khz pretty much totally. My other isn’t that bad still up to 16.5-17khz with some small dips from guitar playing...
  7. c_corie

“New” 2017+ Rega Brio!

How is it so good?! How is it made in the U.K. for that price? I usually use hand made Single Ended Tube amps. It’s very similar sounding to one of them. it makes my B&W CM8 speakers really sound thick and full. How did I only think about Rega turntables and that Rega was a “mid-fi”...
  8. c_corie

Can someone explain the Klipsch “KG” series?

I see some like the KG 3/3.2/3.5 the 4 and the 5/5.5 is there some sort of time line? Where they all made in the USA or somewhere else? Do any of them have surround rot problems like Bose or old Infinity speakers? Or are the surrounds more of a rubber or rubber foam. Thanks!
  9. c_corie

Best Vintage Stereo Receivers Under $250 average?

A little over is ok, what I’m looking for: A mellow but not dull sound, wide sound stage if possible, “musical.” Inputs for “Aux” or I suppose tape, my dac is low output, 1-1.2 Vrms I think. Silver with fake or real wood/ Cool yellow/orange lights! Something known to be reliable. That...
  10. c_corie

Has anyone heard the Cambridge Audio AXA35?

I have B&W CM8 series one speakers and a Hegel HD2 DAC. I currently use a 5w SEP Dennis Had EL84 amp and also have a triode wired EL34 SE Wright Audio 7w amp. I have tried and not enjoyed with my speakers; NAD 316BEE (kept for Bose 401 setup) not bad but not enough punch slightly cheap...
  11. c_corie

How close are EI tubes to Telefunken?

I use a few different tube amps. The only Telefunken I’ve tried was a early ribbed plate 12AX7 as the single gain stage for my Wright Audio SE6 and my much cheaper APPJ PA0901A The Telefunken was nice but very flat, I guess that’s what they’re known for. My other amp is a Dennis Had 5w...
  12. c_corie

Nice power tubes for Wright Audio SE6?

The amp is currently getting fixed under warranty, it had a bad melting smell and sounded off. I was using the nicer “tube store” blue base Chinese EL34, a NOS Mullard 5AR4 and NOS Tung Sol 12AX7. They are thinking either the 5AR4 was running too hard, or the Chinese tubes started to fail and...
  13. c_corie

Most liked 6CG7 tubes?

I’ve started to think I may prefer these in my EL84 SE amp. Dennis says they’re safe. So far so good. I’ve tried RCA clear tops, they’re ok a bit thin sounding but nice. Tung Sol oval plate grey 60s era I think. They sound really nice, no problems with these. I had a pair of GE somewhere...
  14. c_corie

6922 vs 7308?

The amp is my picture lol. I use a Hegel HD2 and B&W CM8s. I’ve tried lots of tubes so far I LOVE BEL 6922 from India. Also enjoyed USA Amperex 6922 PQ and Holland made basic 6DJ8 types. I’ve read 7308 are more mellow or that they have more high end or that they’re smoother so which is...
  15. c_corie

Single Ended amp "hum".......

I have a Wright Audio SE6 that is dead quiet, don't love it and I've tried lots of tubes. I went back to my Dennis Had Inspire 5w EL84 amp and noticed a very small amount of very low frequency hum. I haven't used the amp as my main amp in a month or two, to notice the hum you have to be fairly...
  16. c_corie

“High plate resistance” beam power tubes?

My new amp seems to be designed with these in mind. 6L6/6F6/6V6 and KT77 seem to be the preferred types. What’s other tube type would he considered high plate resistance... KT66 5881 Would these fit the bill? I was advised by the builder that KT88/120 6550 would work but the sound would...
  17. c_corie

New Dennis Had “6FLV” Pentode amp!

Got it last night, so far...amazing but hey I really liked my original SEP EL84 amp from him so I was expecting to enjoy this one. It’s designed for 6FLV tubes (6L6/6V6/6F6) and I tried 6L6GC first. Not bad but I don’t always love 6L6 amps but I figured I’d try one. I think B&W speakers may...
  18. c_corie

12AX7s: Here's a list of ones I have tried.

Just for reference the tubes I own/have tried and how I describe them, LP is long plate, SP is short; Tung Sol LP D-ish getter probably late 50's: Super clean, extended deep bass and highs, middle is a tiny bit recessed, the most detail I've heard, can be almost harsh but very 3D. Still my...
  19. c_corie

Top NOS 6922 for detail and musicality?

i used to be exclusively a 12AX7 guy (many guitar amps/Miniwatt APPJ stereo/custom PP-EL34 triode stereo) and liked long plate Tung Sol, Telefunken, and some GE...had lots of short plates but never enjoyed them for audio much. I have a Dennis Had SEP EL84 (w/ 6922 input tubes)stereo amp and...
  20. c_corie

Typical "mono" setup in late 50s or early 60s?

I'd love to figure out how to set up a "mono" hifi. Preferably turntable based or just a CD quality from my DAC and probably into a MONO tube amp and ONE speaker. What DID people use back then, in the days of mono? Is it still around and affordable? Right now I use B&W CM8, a Hegel HD2 DAC...
  21. c_corie

Need a new SS integrated!

I have a B&W CM8 speakers- and a Hegel HD2 dac- using SEP/PP Triode amps and want something just plain SS. Really want a McIntosh 6100/6200 but don’t know if I want to wait around for one. So I’m looking for something below $1000 or so to hold me over- Must have: Balance control Basic EQ...
  22. c_corie

Best “cheaper” McIntosh Integrated?

Considering a 6100 or maybe a 6200- budget is $2000 or under. Should I go through audio classics? Any other places like them? I’m in Connecticut and craigslist and eBay don’t seem to have a lot. Any great ideas? I have B&W CM8 speakers and a Hegel HD2 DAC I’m use to using low wattage...
  23. c_corie

Good quality HYBRID amps?

I have two SE amps, 1 pentode, 1 UL and also a PP triode strapped EL34 amp. They all sound good- and have their strong points and weak points, I've tried many NOS input tubes and rectifiers and improved the sound- but I'm still wanting a little more power and a little stronger sound- my amps...
  24. c_corie

Most 3D and clean/clear 6DJ8 not 6922/7308

So far I like early/mid 1960s Amperex HP/Amperex/AMC logo made in Holland tubes- just the basic 6DJ8. 6922 tubes I have (USA white logo PQ, BEL India 6922) both have more high end but sound a bit small and less "big." More precise and more extended but way less magic. I want to find some...
  25. c_corie

Best/least expensive NEW SE EL84 amp

Looking for either an UL or Pentode EL84 based singled ended integrated amp. Hopefully with a 12ax7 driver and tube rectifier, and I want it to be hand wired. I love my APPJ Pa0901a and want a bigger "real" version. Must have a volume control and be around 500mv input. Any ideas appreciated!
Back
Top Bottom