Search results

1. Farmhand

Quick question about an old Kenny

I have a KR-4070 that will eventually be my intro to recapping . I’ve taken it out of service because when I tap on the outside of the receiver (while it’s running) I can hear a thump through the speakers. Is this some kind of old cap microphonic thing, or what?
  2. Farmhand

Car vs. deer

I I was lucky with mine- it came from the original owner, it needed the usual laundry list of basic 9-5 items ( ignition cassette, window rollers, hatch struts, etc) and I bought it for $750 and drove it 80 miles home without incident. I put another $750 and some time into it, including a day...
  3. Farmhand

Braun l 810 that got away.

A few times now I’ve contacted sellers just to advise that they google the value of what they are selling- like a pair of Polk SDA-1A s for $200! If I were after more speakers (no room) or a flipper (no time) I’d scoop these things up.
  4. Farmhand

Car vs. deer

T The old ones (900) open back to front. This one opens American style.
  5. Farmhand

Car vs. deer

Our road runs through a deer-heavy area and I’m surprised that we don’t hit them more often. We don’t ride our motorcycles after dusk because of the deer population. So my wife borrowed my car (the “dog car”) to take the dogs to the dog park and hit a deer on the way home. Took out a headlight...
  6. Farmhand

local weed growing discussions

When you have a half acre in the country sitting there doing nothing and your wife says “just do the paperwork and grow weed for a living.” What would you do?
  7. Farmhand

Whats a good miter saw to buy

I’m happy with my Ryobi dual miter. Put a decent blade on it and you’re all set.
  8. Farmhand

Today’s dirty receiver award goes to...

I used deoxit and a soft brush to get the bulk of the crud out of there. Neither left channel works and cleaning is a good way to find some issues and eliminate others. I also hosed the pots from the inside and they’re much looser now. Haven’t switched it back on yet. On both speaker selection...
  9. Farmhand

I suspect it was on a shelf in a basement. The old houses around here tend to rain generations of accumulated crud from their floorboards.
  10. Farmhand

I picked up a Scott R36S basically free. I’m trying to figure out why the left channels work but the right channels don’t, so I decided to check under the hood right away. Time to fire up the air compressor!
  11. Farmhand

What car did you lust after as a teenager?

‘67 GTO or Chevelle.
  12. Farmhand

Bose 401 -I’m Shocked.

I just don’t get how they play this low. I’m not listening to TV them in a clinical listening room, just a small outbuilding. I’ve put this little Lepai amp into protection while serenading the neighbors. I guess I’ll have to hang them up in the rafters and let them do their thing.
  13. Farmhand

Bose 401 -I’m Shocked.

I just picked up a pair 401s as a package deal for next to nothing. I was after the receiver. I hooked up the old Lepai 2020plus, and am plugging in the iPhone 6s for a source. I had no idea these things would sound so good in a non critical setting- they have far lower bass than they should...
  14. Farmhand

Just when I think I’m done....

Lubed the pots and switches. The switches came to life right away- half of them were struggling to function and needed assistance. The pots took longer to loosen up and are still a bit noisy, but now they just have that heavy feeling of a good quality pot. Still no sound from one channel. The...
  15. Farmhand

No sound from one channel, but the pots are sticky, the buttons are wonky and it gets the one country mega station through most of the FM band- so cleanup is the place to start.
  16. Farmhand

I just got home with a Scott R36S receiver and a pair of Bose 401Speakers. I really just wanted the Scott but for twenty bucks I took it all. Clearly this stuff has been in a damp basement for a while but it was plugged in and working when I got there. The R36S is an uncommon receiver and well...
  17. Farmhand

Another first-class build job....

And he’s not afraid to beat on it!
  18. Farmhand

Lets See All Them Axes

This isn’t the exact guitar I traded in twenty years ago, but it’s the only other one I’ve ever seen. Nabbed it for sixty bucks. Early nineties Yamaha Pacifica. It needs a setup but the other one I had took a setup like a champ and played like a dream.
  19. Farmhand

Audio Club of Maine (ACMe)

I can veneer, yes. Can’t make any promises though!
  20. Farmhand

New to me ....

Doesn’t produce any sound but it might be good for parts.
  21. Farmhand

New to me ....

Picked this up beside the road for free. Never seen one before, it powers on and someday soon I’ll plug in speakers and a guitar to see what it can do.
  22. Farmhand

Audio Club of Maine (ACMe)

I’m in Thomaston, build my own speakers but have some interesting ones to repair .
  23. Farmhand

What would you buy tomorrow if you crashed your car today?

I already have my next car waiting in the back yard... 1999 Saab 9-5 wagon. Great condition one owner car, I bought it for $700 and drove it 80 miles home without incident. My current ‘06 Corolla will be my daughter’s car when she gets her license in February.
  24. Farmhand

Sho Bud ID

It was worth $250.
Back
Top Bottom