Search results

1. S

I bought a 4 wheel plaything

I can relate, and the depreciation factor is true for pretty much all "higher-end" vehicles. The more they sticker for new, the harder they fall the minute they leave the lot--I've seen fairly late-model BMW 7-series going for less $$$ than a brand-new Honda Accord. I got lucky (like you) when I...
  2. S

I bought a 4 wheel plaything

Congrats on the new ride :thumbsup: Those are sharp-looking/nice-driving cars, and was on my list last year when I went hunting for a decent/large sedan. I ultimately ended up with a Jag XJR575, but it was a "contender". The Jag has a size/power advantage, but the two things that really bumped...
  3. S

Why is my Technics sl qd33 considered a low end starter table?

Shuss--be quiet--consider yourself lucky and be happy with your table. Let them believe what they want--it keeps the prices "affordable". Look at what has happened to the prices of Realistic and MCS gear in the last few years, since people have "discovered" them for what they really are?
  4. S

Sales, installs, and bears, oh my!

^^^ Other than sales, system design and installation is about all that is currently out there. Vintage repair/restoration is another option, but you mention "researching" gear, not necessarily working on it, so I don't know if that is relevant. I'm in the construction biz, and there are a lot...
  5. S

Lee Iacocca has passed.

RIP Mr. Iacocca. Thanks for the Mustang! (not so much for the K-car and mini-van, but we'll let you slide on those ones ;)).
  6. S

Dogs Rock, Post Yer Pooch!

I'm sure my partner and Maxx feel the same way about me... but if you can show me any sign of abuse/neglect on any pic I have posted--have at it--only thing "harmed" in the process was me getting knocked down by a dog that weighs as much or more than me--and was "happy" doing it (and I wasn't...
  7. S

Reminiscing, since I don't know what this week holds in store--Mom is going in for the "tilt-table" routine, and possibly a new pace-maker/defribillator on Wed, so if my posts get either "sparse" or "endlessly annoying", please bear with me--I'm packing up and going home tonite. Doberman...
  8. S

Keyword in my house is "outside"--Maxx always wants "outside", and an open car door is just an "invitation"--doesn't really matter whose car/truck/SUV--open the door and it's "where are we going?".
  9. S

Mom comes through with a little more (circa 1958). I was "in the oven" when this pic was taken--don't you love the curtains? LOL And that was a "mobile home"--yes, I am "trailer-trash", although they had bought a house before I was actually born 6 months later.
  10. S

House lights dim when receiver turned up.

You've got the wiring to support that, but if you don't actually have a potential 30A "draw", then the breaker is protecting NOTHING--not even a potential house-fire. It's kind of like the old "penny behind the fuse" from the old days. @wlhd1610 I own a construction company, and both of my...
  11. S

When you do that--check to see if the "updated" wiring (from 40 years ago) is aluminum or copper. Copper = good, Aluminum, not so much, so be careful of loads on individual circuits.
  12. S

Looking for a decent, really cheap tuner

IDK--maybe it's just me, but I see NO REASON to look for a "new" tuner for AM/FM--there are boatloads of good/decent used/vintage ones out there for a "dime a dozen", and most radio stations "web-cast", so you can use any phone/computer/tablet with internet access to listen to them. I have a...
  13. S

That is a house wiring issue. A dedicated circuit should certainly help. What else is running on that circuit? 400w is not that "significant" of a load, so the receiver should not "dim the lights" even if run wide-open. The home circuit that you have it plugged into is likely near overloaded to...
  14. S

Subwoofer settings...

General "rule of thumb" has already been mentioned--if you can "hear" the sub, it is set too loud. You should just "miss" it when it is turned off, but not specifically "hear" it while in operation. With "full-range" speakers, I tend to let them "roll-off" naturally on their own and just...
  15. S

Question on powering Dahlquist DQ-10's?

I owned a pair (briefly), and would tend to agree with others that they like some "juice" to really play--but a lot of that depends upon your room and listening preferences. If you have a big room, and like it loud, your Luxman is probably a little "inadequate", but in a smaller room, and not...
  16. S

Power Station transformer question.

TSCA--Toxic Substances Control Act was passed by Congress in October, 1976. Production of PCBs was banned in the US in 1978, and all commercial use banned in 1979. PCBs are considered to be POPs--persistent organic pollutants--they do not naturally degrade in the environment, and remediation...
  17. S

Going offline for a while

Hoping all is well, and you just need a break--sometimes we all do. Godspeed!
  18. S

A Former Customer threatening bankruptcy

Yeah, that's the biggest problem--especially if they are actually considering bankruptcy In order to qualify for bankruptcy, they have got to be in pretty deep with other creditors, and you will be the low man on the totem pole.
  19. S

Amp/Pre Amp Hygiene: Tube Edition

Sources and preamp on first. Amp on last. Amp off first. Everything else off last. "Standard" sequence--I have power conditioners with sequenced outlets, so one switch does it all--in order.
  20. S

finally ordered a good turntable I hope!

That's the equivalent of putting studded re-tread snow tires on a Ferrari :yikes: My LP12 has a Dynavector 23K RS on it and an identical Dynavector and Sumiko Blackbird as "spares".
  21. S

I see that too, now--I wish I were 10 years younger!!! And DUH--that is my grandmother in pic #2--not my grandfather. Might be re-prints she had done--have to ask her... Fortunately, someone in the family keeps "archives"--I take digital pics now and "lose" them in a matter of days or months...
  22. S

I was born in '59, so the one with Nikki was probably '60-61. My grandfather (in the background of shot #2) died of a heart attack shortly after my sister was born, so I would have to guess '63-64. As you can see, pooches are a part of my life, and always will be. Not to disparage cats--I have...
  23. S

OK--"a blast from the past"... I asked my mother for a couple pics... HUGE mistake on my part, but here goes... Smokey was the blonde one, the dark one was my aunt's Nikki dog--he did three tours in 'Nam with my uncle... Horrible animals, I tell you... just HORRIBLE!!! :angel:
  24. S

I was born into a home with an adult German Shepherd. From what I have been told (and family photos bear this out), I was "his"--his new job/project/toy--they are herding dogs, so I was now part of "the herd". When I was brought home, I was promptly "investigated"--sniffed and licked from head...
  25. S

A Former Customer threatening bankruptcy

Understood--sometimes people just get in "over their head" or something catastrophic happens, but the difference between those people and the "deadbeats" is that they didn't choose to get into that position, and make an attempt to get out. Most creditors will work with a client to recoup...
Back
Top Bottom