Search results

1. SteveMurphy

Pioneer PL-630

Really enjoying my new addition. Can't hear much difference between this table and my Technics SL-1401. Considering that the Pioneer has VTA and the Technics doesn't, this one is now first string...plus it looks pretty nice with my other Pioneer Spec gear.
  2. SteveMurphy

Scored a Pioneer pl630...only there's a prob

I got a pl-630 today that has a Shure M44E cartridge with a slightly bent stylus. The 630 is in amazing shape and all operations are functional. The lift, swing to the album, and drop are very smooth and nice to watch. The return trip to the arm rest, however, is a little bumpy on the way back...
  3. SteveMurphy

To DAC or not to DAC

I really need some help from some DAC experts. There are so many DACs available, I'm just not sure what to get and don't want to make costly mistakes buying the wrong thing. Most appear to be headphone amps which is not what I want and keeping the price south of $1000 I have a vintage Pioneer...
  4. SteveMurphy

Long Live Rock & Roll and JBL L100s

My listening room/auditorium. I'm blessed with a huge living room, a room the JBL 240ti's and L100's have no problem filling with music. I'm in total love with the 240ti's. They sound amazing. For the first time I got the L100's off the floor. I stacked them on top of the 240ti's, put on some...
  5. SteveMurphy

Need DAC suggestion

I need help selecting a DAC. My system is a Pioneer Spec 1 preamp, Spec 4 main, Technics SL1401 TT, and Denon DVD player with digital outs that I'm using as a CD player with JBL L100 and Dalquist DQ20s for speakers. I'm looking for a DAC that will improve the sound from the Denon CD player and...
  6. SteveMurphy

Pioneer Pl-530 retired.

Well my first "real" turntable is getting the bench. Have loved my old Pioneer, but got a Technics sl1401 with a new Denon dl110 and am never looking back. Wow what a table and it actually matched my Pioneer Spec amp, pres-amp better than the Pioneer table does as its brushed aluminum. Anyway...
  7. SteveMurphy

Pioneer 701 Slow Running

I have a chance at purchasing a F2F, but it has some issues. Have always wanted setup like this. I didn't want to pull the trigger unless there is a good chance I can fix it. So here are the problems: Tape counter doesn't move (bad belt?) Fast forward and rewind work extremely fast, but if you...
  8. SteveMurphy

Newb Questions Pioneer Spec Rack

So I just got a Pioneer Spec 1 and am on the hunt for a Spec 4, Pioneer tuner (9500?), tape player, etc. I no nothing about the rack system for vintage pioneer equipment except that its crazy expensive on Ebay. So here are a few questions that I'm hoping those in the know can help me with: The...
  9. SteveMurphy

JBL L100 Grill Replacements

I thought I would post my experience in purchasing a replacement set of JBL L100 Century grills from the Ebay retailer "Sculpted Foam Innovations". The guys name is Scott and he was very helpful through the whole process. So when I purchased my JBLs, they didn't have grills, so I've been...
  10. SteveMurphy

LG DAC Smartphone Upgrade

Wondering if any dac gurus can help me out. I have an older LG G3 and am looking to upgrade to either a G5 (with hifi dac module upgrade), V10, or V20. I stream from Tidal through my phone to my vintage 2 channel setup. I also listen by headphones from time to time What are the differences in...
  11. SteveMurphy

At the Crossroads...

Looking to get nudged off the fence, one way or the other, and believe the great wisdom and opinion that seep from this awesome forum/collective will give me more to think about to make a good decision. Some background info first. My current setup: JBL L100s, Dalquist DQ-20s (to be replaced by...
  12. SteveMurphy

Technics SL-1401 Repair

So I'm going to recap a dead turntable. All the electrolytic caps are Panasonic and I've pulled the Panasonic part numbers from the Technics service manual. I hit Google with those part numbers and the only place that cross references those caps is a place called "Parts Simple" and they list the...
  13. SteveMurphy

An Odd Couple

Just got a pair of JBL L100s. Have Dahlquist dq-20s side-by-side with them. I have been A/B ing them for a few hours. I guess I'm a total audio peasant as I'm really, REALLY...loving the JBLs. I recently refoamed the DQ-20s and think they sound amazing as well, but the JBLs simply rock. I'm...
  14. SteveMurphy

Dahlquist dq20s

Some friends moved away a few years ago and asked if we wanted any speakers, of course I said yes...at the time I had never heard of Dahlquist before. I couldn't figure out how the grills came off, but could tell the woofers needed help...probably rotted surrounds....anyway I stuck them in the...
Back
Top Bottom