Search results

1. afewbricks

topless 680

blub
  2. afewbricks

topless 680

blub blub
  3. afewbricks

pioneer SX-680: the good the bad and the ugly?

I have some ideas what may have been changed, did they use respectable parts? I See a couple mismatched cap skins too, I will check values on them when I can have more time to play around with it.
  4. afewbricks

Im excited about the top, I have some beautiful veneer thats already been glued down on void free 11 ply birch. I can put that to use if I decide to make complete sides. If not I have a couple other ideas in store and a luxurious low sheen finish.
  5. afewbricks

I answered my own question, the top is a cinch to remove. Aside from some peeling vinyl seems to be in its original state, and nice and straight. This I can work some magic on, the inside is where I need help. The face glass and knobs are in great shape too. But you'll notice the trim just...
  6. afewbricks

When designers get into audio:

The two go hand in hand. Hi end furniture and audio doesnt come on a cheap so 20k might seem reasonable depending whats inside and the detail work not to mention hours that went into the cabinetry. I would consider some speakers fine furniture. The console is gorgeous by the looks, do like...
  7. afewbricks

Sometimes you just have to improvise

Is there anything attached to the inner sides of the sides? I want to replace with solid wood if not I have some nice ply with furniture grade veneer then Ill cap the edges with solid walnut.
  8. afewbricks

List of DACs Under $450

I will plug these because they have a lot of features packed into a very small box and sound very good. Have had it tied to several different amplifiers and sources and results were always pleasing. For the most it sounds smooth and analog yet detail is put back together before it enters your...
  9. afewbricks

Any improvement to audio quality with clean switches? (Technics SU-V9)

Dirty switches degrade sound quality, even while some of the other more obvious tell tale signs arent making you painfully aware something is wrong at a control contact, indicators like slight crackle upon adjustment once in a while to more prominent crackle, or channel fade or complete cut...
  10. afewbricks

First DAC, a bit of a disappointment

you can get the one under it for just under 375, they are worth every penny imho , they pack a lot of versatility along with good sound. its obious someone copied a few ideas from b l ca to. they are nice looking and feel sturdy. remote capable is nice to. check specs in here...
  11. afewbricks

Cambridge DacMagic question

I liked the DACmagic it was useful with multiple plug ins and dual outs, sounds decent. The magic has preamp cabability and its small, again versatile. I went to moon 100d after a dacmagic v1. It got a little better still after PS upgrade They are both good values. When it comes down to whats...
  12. afewbricks

First DAC, a bit of a disappointment

Some of the chinese made DACS are excellent performers excellent sound, input options and lots of versatility, 1 db step digital volume. but the same rules apply on costs you save some but dont expect much if your trying to save a bundle. I took a balanced DAC with both output options, 5 digital...
  13. afewbricks

Pics of amps with BIG honkin' VU Meters

Another Luxy - M02 140w @8 bridge capable to 300w mono. not most impressive supply for rated output but it looks like it should dish out some pretty decent current and have good stability. What do they mean by dual beta though? Is that there little name for dual mono design because the larger 05...
  14. afewbricks

Is my cabinet fine with the spacing for cooling?

Oh snap lol I thought they were celestions but the pic is a tad bit deceiving to me or its my tv ratio settings or I would of gotten it. I used to have an 80s A/B technics it was rather beat up but sounded good to me it stuck out like a sore thumb, basically it looked like junk. And it did run...
  15. afewbricks

SS AMP/Receiver with THE BEST phono stage?

Agreed, it boils down to way too much of a personal taste thing. Not only that if you break into the variable categories and different price ranges to be fair it then also opens a plethora of new choices. If it came down to "best" in the lower costing side of the spectrum try out some by sugden...
  16. afewbricks

After surfing over the page again the stand mounts caught my attention, they make me think of something British, maybe celestions made during or a little after SL's. What are those?
  17. afewbricks

Plenty of breathing room it looks like, also pay attention to speaker impedance and amplifier design and so on. Sometimes nothing beats placing a hand over it if it gets to warm Id give it more shelf. Some amps might feel too warm but actually perform better because they have a higher operating...
  18. afewbricks

NAD 701....phono in? - no phono in?

Ive had some weird good luck a few times. come to think of it some weird bad luck too, but not that weird lol. There must be more than one manual, for some came with phonos installed some didnt ;) Ive come to know some vg nad phono sections inside 1300, 3020 and 1240, outboard mm/mc, as well...
  19. afewbricks

Pioneer SX receiver truths myths misconceptions & contradictions

Holy smokes wattshour did beautiful things to that 780
  20. afewbricks

Right on the mahogany veneer thats what I thought, I have seen the same thing on interior doors, thats what it reminded me of. I ended up buying a few pieces of black walnut while store hopping later yesterday. I have early bbc monitors around the same vintage that will set with it they are...
  21. afewbricks

My 680 has the original vinyl, typically peeling. Im glad no one got to it and "restored it". Im somewhat finicky about how I like stuff like this sort of stuff approached, not to say some dont look great, they do. I peeled back some plastic to noticed it has NICER real wood veneer underneath...
  22. afewbricks

"Shouldn't there be a way to reverse engineer the modules and come up with a good circuit that would work? The issue then revolves around packaging of the components and heatsinking the power components IMO. Seems to me that all the fakers out there would do well to just put good well...
  23. afewbricks

Pics of amps with BIG honkin' VU Meters

Honkin meters, Like Luxman Accuphase and some others. In honkin contrast I even like the meters on my Pioneer sx680. Small but a nice feature nonetheless, and proving its not always the size that counts
  24. afewbricks

I'm bumping into confusing info here and elsewhere. Many regard the x80 models are great units too, but lack serviceability, and parts are harder to find, sound quality isn't as up to par with other silvers, even those similar in size. Others dont seem to regard reliability as big of an issue...
Back
Top Bottom