Search results

1. S

MS750 & Jitter

Same here, I can afford a much better 2 channel system than surround. I'm a Boston transplant now living in Tampa. Go Bruins!
  2. S

Mcintosh and the non-audiophile

Someone said in an earlier post (maybe a different thread) that if we all heard exactly the same thing then we'd only need one speaker manufacturer and where would the fun be in that. Have to agree with two thumbs up on that!:thmbsp::thmbsp:
  3. S

MS750 & Jitter

Excellent points Tim. Just imagine how much the video server is going to cost when Mac comes out with one. Which brings up another point. We tend to listen to the same music multiple times but personally I rarely watch a movie more than once or twice (not if I have a choice anyway). How viable...
  4. S

MS750 & Jitter

Yup, here's another. Scroll down near the bottom. http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2009/
  5. S

MS750 & Jitter

In the words of one of my favorite actors, allow me to retort. You speak with authority and certainty regarding my decision making process when in fact you don’t know anything at all about me. It isn’t your, or anyone else’s business how I arrive at a purchase decision but since it’s also not a...
  6. S

MS750 & Jitter

I like $7900 a lot better $12900! Any inside info on whether Meridien will someday insert their digital sections into the Sooloos? And what the hell does Sooloos mean?
  7. S

MS750 & Jitter

What about the one box system, the Ensemble? I think that's its name?
  8. S

MS750 & Jitter

I'm not trashing the MS750 DAC at all. But its jitter performance is clearly sub par based on the test results published in the article. I wouldn't expect that from McIntosh but that's why we still play the game isn't it? I was surprised at Krell's jitter performance too. And most of the posts...
  9. S

MS750 & Jitter

I guess I'll have to make the performance decision once I get a chance to really listen to the MS750 on its own in an extended audition, but I think I know what to expect. As for the Sooloos being twice the price, the info I have doesn't reflect that, at least for the single storage box. As I...
  10. S

New McIntosh speakers?

Wow! And I thought our 4 lb 7 oz chihuahua was small!
  11. S

MS750 & Jitter

The one thing I don't like about of the servers I've heard is they are spinning disc based so they're noisy. Once there is a solid state storage version of something like the Sooloos I'll be very tempted to come up with the scratch and jump in.
  12. S

MS750 & Jitter

While they both benefit from external DACs the MS750 sounds like it basically requires it from what this thread and Sphile indicates. I could live with the Sooloos on its own based on my listening experiences. As for value, the Sooloos is far closer in cost to the MS750 than it is to the...
  13. S

take it one step further, most of what we hear on recorded media is "manufactured" and not "performed" live in real time. Overdubbed multi-track "productions". Except of course for the few live recorded performances, mostly classical and jazz.
  14. S

MS750 & Jitter

The point I was really trying to make is that Atkinson measured jitter in all the devices in the same fashion, and the MS700 was found severely lacking. If somebody already has an external DAC, and most of us who pursue the elusiveness of "perfect sound" fall in to that category, then that...
  15. S

Paul Hales, whose comapny made some pretty fine sounding speakers in their day, once commented that every time he thought we were getting closer to approaching the real thing he'd be reminded how inadequate our systems really are when he took his kids to Disneyland and he'd hear the Main St...
  16. S

MS750 & Jitter

Looks like you missed the section of this article that shows the jitter performance of the Sooloos. Significantly better than the 700. And while I have not spent any time listening to the MS700 in a standalone mode, I have with the Sooloos. Very good sound standalone (even better fed through the...
  17. S

My Mac Amps Finally Arrived

Not a rat's nest, but a finely organized complex cable plant. We're laboratory mice, not rats!
  18. S

MCD500 Product of the year 2008 award.

Haven't heard it yet so I can't vote. How about the MA7000 as an alternative? I have heard it and am continuially impressed. Plus, it's stunning looking.
  19. S

hum with my mcintosh

Are you talking about a separate chassis ground on the FIOS box or the AC plug? My FIOS HD box doesn't have a three prong plug, it uses a two prong polarized one. Am assuming you have the same Motorola box. Have they checked their wiring and grounds all the way back to network interface box on...
  20. S

Mcrumors

JimBob, How are you liking that new ARC DAC7? Have only heard it a few times briefly at my local dealer so haven't had a good chance to really listen in depth yet. The dealer has lots of praise for it.
  21. S

My Mac Amps Finally Arrived

Get used to that feeling! It's been almost 2 years for me and everyday seems that way. I've gotten to the point where I actively try to avoid travel for work. :D I broke mine in with CD's running continually, low level at night while asleep, a bit louder during the day while at work, louder...
  22. S

Mcrumors

One of the features of FIOS is that when you subscribe to a premium channel like HBO you can watch a la video on demand. And a lot of the content is in HD.
  23. S

2008 in review

Actually 2007 was my big upgrade year. 2008 only saw one change in my system, I replaced my C45 pre with an Audio Research LS26 pre. Wanted to stay Mac but they just don't have a balanced preamp available in my price range. No regrets at all, it sounds great and the green display on the LS26...
  24. S

275MK-IV VS 501's

I had AR11As for many years, they were the follow-on to the 3a. I used to drive my MA6200 into PowerGuard all the time, so I'd suggest using a beefy SS amp. The 6200 was 75W/ch into 8 ohms, and 100W into 4 ohms. The AR11As were 4 ohm.
  25. S

Show us a picture of your mcintosh system

Very nice looking kit!
Back
Top Bottom