Search results

1. T

Christmas Goodwill find

Only bias is adjustable, DC offset isn't adjustable on these HK receivers.
  2. T

Christmas Goodwill find

Christmas Goodwill find. Harman Kardon 730 stereo receiver for $25. Twin mono block design. I see and hear why vintage receivers are sought after. It has a warm sound almost tubish like compared to modern solid state gear. Maybe it has quite a bit of second harmonics like Nelson Pass is a...
  3. T

Magnepan MMG question

I recently acquired a used pair of Magnepan MMG speakers. My question is: does it have any kind of crossover in it like a traditional 2 or 3 way dynamic speaker in a speaker enclosure other than what can be seen on the back of the speaker in the form of resistors that can be placed to attenuate...
  4. T

Do pushed in speaker dust caps affect sound?

When looking at buying used speakers many times the dust cap on the woofer will be pushed in or the tweeter will be pushed in. I guess people can't resist getting touchy feely with speaker drivers. The seller will usually say something like the dust cap is pushed in but it doesn't affect the...
  5. T

How to connect lighted rocker switch to power transformer

I'm going to install a light rocker switch and I think it's connected it correctly, but I would like confirmation that it's connected it correctly because I'm not 100 percent sure. I want the light to be on only when the accessory is turned on. Here is the diagram.
  6. T

Single voltage vs. dual voltage/split rail power supply questions

Thanks, Maxhifi for your explanation. Much appreciated. Therefore, it's more for audio sound quality and not for power output or power efficiency.
  7. T

Single voltage vs. dual voltage/split rail power supply questions

Many electronic devices accept a single voltage power supply, ie. a positive and a negative input. But, I have seen some electronic devices that have a power input that accepts a dual voltage power supply, ie. 12v input with a center 0 ground input and then another 12v which can be either...
  8. T

Questions about power supply types

Thanks Dave for your reply. Much appreciated.
  9. T

Questions about power supply types

I've heard there's different kinds of power supplies, but the terms confuse me. People claim the power supply type and specs can make a big difference in the sound of whatever it's powering. Therefore, I have some questions. 1) Is a linear power supply synonymous with a regulated power supply...
  10. T

Recommend me something to power my Paradigm speakers

Can anyone comment on a Kenwood KM-208 amplifier. There's one locally on CL. He's asking $50 for it.
  11. T

My sources are turntable, CD, and internet radio.
  12. T

What do you suggest for an integrated amp/power amp and preamp/receiver to power my Paradigm Mini Monitor V6 speakers? I'm currently using an old Yamaha AV receiver that's rated at 75 watts per channel into 8 ohms. I'm looking for solid state options and want to keep it below $500. I would...
  13. T

What is damping factor relating to my Yamaha receiver?

I was looking at my old Yamaha AV receiver owner's manual and one of the specs listed was for damping factor. It stated that the damping factor was 80 or more for 20 hz to 20 khz at 8 ohms. Therefore, my question exactly what is damping factor? I'm assuming a higher number is better. Thanks in...
  14. T

Passive crossovers: What does 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. order mean?

Thanks guys for all the explanations!
  15. T

Passive crossovers: What does 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. order mean?

Is it referring to the number of components in the crossover, inductors, caps? And/or is it referring to something else? Is more or less components in a crossover better? Is there a sweet spot with crossover order topologies?
  16. T

For those with turntable speed issues, I discovered something.

Because a recap may or may not fix the problem. There could be a multitude of problems with vintage equipment. I'm not going to spend the time or money chasing the problem. Agreed. Let's just say the speed of the DVS control vinyl is not nearly as sensitive as a regular vinyl record. Because...
  17. T

For those with turntable speed issues, I discovered something.

For those that have turntable speed issues, I discovered something. I posted awhile ago that my Kenwood KD-550 developed a speed issue. The speed would wander fast to slow and slow to fast. The speed issue was very noticeable to both my ear and the strobe light. For those DJ's out there I'm...
  18. T

Michael Fremer's Turntable Set-up DVD - *Free to a good home*

I wasn't sure where to post this, so moderators if this isn't the right place, please move it to the appropriate place. I have this DVD that I bought years ago. I learned a lot on this forum about turntables and audio in general, so I'm giving away this DVD free including free shipping to...
  19. T

What's considered "Hi-Res"?

Homer, interesting Youtube video. Evsentry3, your post is hilarious. botrytis, agreed, regardless whether you buy or not, it's good for audio in general.
  20. T

Self regulation - translation means no regulation. The only true self regulation is the end user choosing to not buy overpriced crappy recordings. This changes nothing about my view on the hi-res logo. Caveat emptor when buying audio or anything for that matter.
  21. T

I have to admit I'm not technically inclined, so a lot of what has been said is going over my head. It doesn't matter to me what the format is. If it sounds good to me, then it sounds good to me. I even think some so called "lo-res" sounds good. I guess that makes me not an audiophile and that I...
  22. T

I see a lot of audio products as of late that are advertised as "Hi-Res", DAC's, headphones, etc. What exactly is Hi-Res? Is there a universal standard that manufacturers adhere to? Or is Hi-Res more of a marketing ploy than a specific specification? Does a product that has been branded as...
  23. T

RCA And XLR "Do It Yourself"

+1 for Markertek. Most stuff is free shipping with no minimum purchase. They ship out fast.
  24. T

Got the urge for some Grados

I used to own the RS1i. They are great also. I have an old SR60i and decided to woody them in black cherry with Earzonk G-cushion. Next up, a recable. Here's pics of them.
  25. T

Got the urge for some Grados

My stock SR325e cable is about 5.5 feet long, so if you want a longer cable you will have to get an extension cable or DIY a longer cable. I used to own the Sennheiser HD650 and Grado's are definately not as comfortable as the HD650, but you get used to it. I put Earzonk G-cushion on my SR325e...
Back
Top Bottom