Search results

1. gadget73

My Hyundai car got stolen (Sept 2023)

The more I learn about transmissions, which is still very little, the more I'm convinced that most of the people who work on them really have no idea what makes them work either. if it doesn't work right, a rebuild or replacement is usually the only suggestion. I've ridden in and driven a lot...
  2. gadget73

Question: Where to find good replacement for 60uf-450V axial Capacitor ???

Sprague TVA1714 is a 60uf 450v, no idea about stock though.
  3. gadget73

Removing labels on Heathkit amps and transformers

depending on the adhesive, either soak with water to soften, or wd40?
  4. gadget73

Question: Where to find good replacement for 60uf-450V axial Capacitor ???

Sprague Atoms still exist in that voltage/value and probably same physical dimensions.
  5. gadget73

12 Volt Tubes

The odd voltage tubes are either really cheap, or stupid expensive depending on demand. Doesn't seem to be much demand for 12 volt car tubes though. Less selection but there are equivalents of some of the popular models.
  6. gadget73

RCA Broadcast Idler Turntable Restoration

The ROK actually does use the idler pressure as speed adjustment but its very limited in what it will do. There is a fine line (on mine anyway) between too much rumble and slow running, proper speed, and slightly fast speed with poor torque. I imagine the Russco is similar in that regard. and...
  7. gadget73

Eico ST70

There are some articles on how to fix it. Also some further discussion on here that seems to imply the way to quiet it best is to do the power amp mods, but maybe leave the tone control stuff stock so it doesn't add gain in that area. No experience with it myself, closest I've ever come to an...
  8. gadget73

Williamson tube amp. Noise at turn off.

Exactly what amp are we talking about here? Dozens of variations on the classic Williamson.
  9. gadget73

Another ID these mono amps.

So this is now set up for two output tubes rather than four? A pair of 6550/KT88 types wouldn't be a completely unreasonable sub for a quad of 807 tubes. It may still be more or less the original design, just with a pair of tubes vs four. if it is still a four tube output, 6L6GC would be the...
  10. gadget73

Help from some Stanton experts, please

^ I have one of those around, not in the cool wood box though. Mine is the older leatherette case with a "flat ear" for a 681EE that I have mounted on a second headshell for my TD-160.
  11. gadget73

Help from some Stanton experts, please

The etched numbers are a serial number. Its typically found on a 681 series, which would have come with a certificate when new that documents its performance. Its only valid with the originally installed stylus so it doesn't mean a whole lot. and +1 on the stylii are probably flipped around...
  12. gadget73

Eico ST70

See what frequency it is. 120hz is something related to the power supply, could also be unbalanced output tubes. 60hz would usually be missing shields, some sort of hookup problem, etc. See if you can pick anything up with nothing connected to the input first before getting too far along here.
  13. gadget73

Happy Birthday leesonic!

Happy Birthday Lee
  14. gadget73

Eico ST70

is that by chance a 120 hz ripple the sine wave is riding on? if so its probably power supply caps.
  15. gadget73

Tube Mono Block Ground Loop

for some reason I was thinking there was a mention of an external phono stage. I'm aware that the S-1000 is mono.
  16. gadget73

Tube that has Entima then cannot read rest

yeah International Servicemaster. Could be manufactured by absolutely anyone.
  17. gadget73

Another ID these mono amps.

the 5687 were used as a cathode follower, direct coupled to the grids of the output tubes I take it? McIntosh amps have their output stages set up that way. It also should allow for AB2 operation where it can draw grid current. I have a rough sketch of a schematic for an 815 or 2E26 amp I...
  18. gadget73

Where exactly is the mono switch in the mix here, before or after the phono stage ?
  19. gadget73

sounds like classic definition of a ground loop. The chassis are tied together through the ground pin in the cord, and again through the Y splitters. I have the same issue with my two mono amps when they had grounded cords. The signal grounds came together at the preamp and in the outlet. I...
  20. gadget73

Boutique coupling caps?

This is why i like amps with a decent amount of feedback. Keeps me from going insane trying to find exactly the right mix of parts.
  21. gadget73

My Hyundai car got stolen (Sept 2023)

yeah the starter location is annoying but how often do they go bad? If its every 100k or more, thats not the end of the world. Ever put a starter on a Vic with a 4.6? Two are easy, that third bolt can be a real SOB and the starter is in the usual location for a V8. what it costs to live with...
  22. gadget73

Thorens TD 160- Sansui SR-525

There is a lot written about how to tune them and it all seems to translate into a bunch of faffing about looking for some magical but subjective "good bounce". Its nonsense. This is how Thorens tells you to set the suspension after doing the Super conversion, which is basically just some...
  23. gadget73

Grant-Lumley GL100A amplifier

don't know anything about it but it looks well made. Big transformers, nice neat lead dress, a sensible layout, all the ingredients for something good.
  24. gadget73

My Auto Repair Shop Messed Up, (Big Time)

I've always rolled engines over by hand several times after any major work just in case. Rather feel something gently go bonk than hear it yield to the starter.
  25. gadget73

Boutique coupling caps?

I pulled those out of my Pilot sa260, they were either between the input and voltage amp, or between the first and second amp. Outside the loop either way. Its an amp not known for being bright and harsh but they were all of that. Its got some Soviet 42y9, or whatever the green metal body pio...
Back
Top Bottom