Search results

1. ManhattanUp

MC2105, Aging Gain Faders: Best Strategy?

Greetings! Like many other owners of the MC2105, I am grappling with the best way to deal with “scratchy” gain faders. That’s original part #134-191, no longer available from McIntosh, or it would seem any other source. I’ve been nursing mine along with DeOxit for a while but every year or so...
  2. ManhattanUp

Curious problem with MC502

Greetings! I'm writing today in hopes I might get a suggestion regarding a curious problem with my MC502 amp that started about a month ago. I've done about all I can given my level of understanding of electronics. Here's what's happening: Turn the amp on: all panel lights illuminate, relay...
  3. ManhattanUp

Meters from McIntosh MC2105: value?

I've just replaced the meters in my MC2105 because when they were illuminated the faces had become rather dulled. The meters are otherwise in perfect working order and without any scratches or other blemishes. My question is what these might be worth given what I know about them. For...
  4. ManhattanUp

How to replace meters in 2105

Hey there... With aging, the meter faces on my 2105 have become very dulled---almost a kind of grey. I replaced the bulbs and the gels a few months ago, everything else looks fine, but the meter faces are not very attractive. I was able to buy a used set of replacement meters from eBay from...
  5. ManhattanUp

Panloc rod repair/replacement

So the rear end cap on a panloc rod popped off an MC2105---it's also gone lost. I'm wondering how this gets repaired/replaced. Thanks in advance! Michael
  6. ManhattanUp

What's a beat up original MC275 worth?

Price is already up to $1200 on 21 bids with five days left to go. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331588684855 Assuming the transformers are good, what additional costs might be involved in getting something like this working again?
  7. ManhattanUp

MC2105 meters jump when power turned off

Something I just noticed on my MC2105---possibly related to recapping I recently completed or possibly just something I'm noticing for the first time (paying closer attention now that it's been recapped): about a second or two after turning the amp off, the meters jump, a bit more on the left...
  8. ManhattanUp

ARC SP9 MkII recap question

Not 100% sure this is the right forum for my question but here's hoping... I'm doing the research and prep to recap my ARC SP9 MkII preamp. My intent is to just replace caps in the line stage and then (possibly) the PS. I don't use the phono stage anymore so leaving that alone (and saving $)...
  9. ManhattanUp

Molex vs. edge connectors

My MC2105, one of the earliest SS amps made by Mc, uses (to me) elegant edge connectors for the channel cards---which makes them pretty easy to pull for service. However, my MC2125 and MC502 both use Molex connectors for the same purpose, which I find rather clunky by comparison, with those...
  10. ManhattanUp

Workflow suggestions for refurbishing MC2125

Greetings! I'm looking to put a little love, time and $ into my MC2125. It appears to be working well enough though I note two anomalies: one (minor I think) is that the Watts position on the left meter doesn't seem to be working at all and second that it appears to be putting out much less...
  11. ManhattanUp

URLs vs. Brands and Part Numbers: A Plea for Sanity

I am certain this can't be the first time this has come up, but here goes anyway... Last night I was eagerly reading a thread from a couple of years ago on an amp restoration project until I crashed into a set rotted links for suggested parts at mouser.com. Sites like these frequently upgrade...
  12. ManhattanUp

Replacing PG bulbs, MC502

Greetings! Just took ownership of an MC502. It seems to check out just fine (no obvious leaking caps, heat sinks cool under load). However all the PG lamps are dead. I measured 12V for both green lamps so the relevant section of the power board itself is probably sound though, based on similar...
  13. ManhattanUp

Reliable source for ALPS potentiometers

Looking to replace an old ALPS 50KAX2 dual channel pot. I see what look like exact replacements for sale on eBay from sellers in China and Japan, minus the little click-wheel gadget that's attached to the back of my original part. The part # they list is AK16 but the ALPS site doesn't show a AX2...
  14. ManhattanUp

Balancing levels when L/R are bi-amped

Wondering about the proper method for setting levels on speakers in a home theater when they are bi-amped. I am using McIntosh amps with faders for each channel. My instinct is to adjust hi/mid and bass separately but am not sure if this is right. Thanks in advance for any help... Michael
  15. ManhattanUp

Ads c2000

Folks I'm wondering if anyone here has a parts list and (dare I ask for it) a schematic for the ADS C2000 active crossover. The system level pot on my unit has become very scratchy---even after cleaning---plus the knob stem looks like it got bent at some point. I'm thinking to replace that...
  16. ManhattanUp

Making sense of numbers: dual triode tubes

For the past month or so I've been in the market of an old stock E88CC tube to run in my Audio Research SP-9 Mk II. I've been watching auctions on eBay for either a Valvo or Siemens/Halske that's reasonably priced. One of the things I've been trying to figure out is how closely matched the gm...
  17. ManhattanUp

Super n00b question: oscillation?

I keep coming across references to oscillation in conjunction to repairs made to the output section in older Mc amps. I am curious to know more about the nature of this problem: - What specifically is this? - How do I know it's happening? - Is it audible? - Does the amp continue to operate...
  18. ManhattanUp

Question about meter gel shape for MC2125

A few years ago I had the (very browned) gels replaced on my MC2125 meters at a local McIntosh dealer. The color was just fine but the lower corners of the meters were always kind of washed out looking, as if light was leaking in behind the gel. Today I pulled the gels (I already bought a sheet...
  19. ManhattanUp

Bringing my MC2105 up to snuff: have I gone far enough?

Today was great day for me: I spent the afternoon replacing a number of parts in my lovely MC2105. I purchased it used in 1981. It's been part of my audio kit ever since. The amp has been working more or less just fine however over the past few years there have been problems with one of the...
  20. ManhattanUp

Understanding getter "shape" and why it matters

Hello there! I am a relatively new member here on AK. I'm also somewhat of a neophyte when it comes to tubes. I own an AR SP-9 Mark II and am looking to upgrade my choice of tube (6DJ8 type) to something more "vintage." To that end, I have been scanning offerings for E88CC and ECC88 tubes on...
  21. ManhattanUp

Looking for banana plug solution for Madrigal HF10c cable

Greetings! I'm looking to fit a set of Madrigal HF10c speaker cable runs with banana plugs. This is 10 AWG copper in a very heavy vinyl sheath. Inside, there's one large bundle of fine copper wires. It's very flexible and the wires quickly splay/spread once they are stripped. I am wondering...
  22. ManhattanUp

Mc Parts: worth the money?

Greetings...new member here. I am the owner of a couple of Mc amps, MC2105 and MC2125, purchased used in the early and mid 1980s. Both are now in need of some love, the 2105 in particular. I am curious to know opinions about buying parts from McIntosh, specifically here I am thinking about...
Back
Top Bottom