Search results

1. E

Rare Amp/Receiver

The Procom PR-1600 receiver has good build quality with the 200VA rating suggesting a power consumption of 200VA or similar to 200W. An approximate power output rating is to divide the power consumption by 4 to get a max 50W/ch RMS as most transistor power amps are about 50% efficient. My...
  2. E

Picked up a pair of SX-828's

The Pioneer SX-828 was TOTL for the 2 series of early 1970's receivers with separate tuning capacitors and build quality just beneath the renown Sansui Eight receiver. Both perform superbly despite having only around 60W/ch and preceded the monster receiver era. Many consider the SX-828 to be...
  3. E

sansui eight deluxe ?

I have the Sansui Eight which in my opinion is the best TOTL receiver in the 60W/ch during the early 70's. The build quality was top notch and beyond competing TOTL receivers from Marantz, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony, and Technics. The Eight deluxe has a different power amp output section and relay...
  4. E

Recommendations to round-out my receiver collection?

Try to get a Sansui Eight which is considered the Engineer"s receiver having build quality and sonic performance rarely topped by any other receiver in the 1970's.
  5. E

1970's 200 wpc heathkit?

The Heathkit AA-1640 power amp that I have outperformed the Marantz 510M, a friend's Phase Linear 400, and another friend's Pioneer Spec 2. The friends reluctantly admitted that the Heathkit AA-1640 is the best of the 200w/ch power amps tested and auditioned. It definitely is under the radar so...
  6. E

I've had my Sansui Eight for 43 years!

The build quality of the Sansui Eight receiver was to make it a statement component that few other manufacturer would match. Perhaps only the Pioneer SX-1250 or Marantz 2500/2600 receivers are in the same league.
  7. E

Common Courtesy

Society in general has been regressing instead of progressing as most people are self-centered and brainwashed by the "i" mentality which ironically is the first letter of the word idiot. It is a sad reflection on the idiotic behavior of people to worship corporate advertising/promotions rather...
  8. E

Audioholic's 10 most influential speakers of all time.

As for INFLUENTIAL this list is a disaster in omitting the DYNACO A-25 which had exceptionally affordability, decent bass response, and tremendous midrange tone that outsold all other consumer speakers during the late 60's-70's. It was probably THE speaker that catapulted hifi stereo to the...
  9. E

Audio and what else?

I am highly involved in gardening to grow the most nutritional, safest, fresh veggies+fruits and biking to keep healthy+fit. These 2 activities are great for physical wellness while audio with its challenges for trouble shooting+repairing are superb for mental wellness. In addition...
  10. E

Save the vintage receivers!

Recently I went to the local electronics recycling place to dispose some old computers/printers where I saw a silver 70's Pioneer sx-626 receiver so I politely asked if I could have it. The manager/supervisor stated that once any electronics enters their site the public is NOT permitted to claim...
  11. E

A Sansui Eight Thread...Pictures & Info Welcomed

The Sansui Eight has been often called the engineer's receiver due to its superb design and construction. The build quality is comparable to the Pioneer SX-1250 while the sound reproduction is probably the best for power output in the 60w/ch range. I will never let go of my Sansui Eight as it...
  12. E

Why no SX-1150 and 1180?

It was done to emphasize the TOTL as being specially exceptional or a cut above the rest. This precedence was started with the original monster receiver Pioneer SX-1010 which was TOTL of the SX-x3x series. Many audio enthusiasts consider the trend setting SX-1010 to be the best sounding of all...
  13. E

Anybody remember how long it takes a cassette to wear out?

I made recordings on Woodward's Transonic C90 cassettes(produced by Hitachi) in the early 70's which still playback with good results. Recordings I made on Maxell XLII and TDK SA high bias cassettes in the mid-late 70's still sound wonderful today. Apparently the key to durable quality...
  14. E

What are the one or two things you would never sell!

My Sansui Eight receiver which has superb build quality along with tremendous amp capability in a pretty compact case.
  15. E

What you paid for you first system ?

My first stereo system bought in 1974 consisted of a Pioneer SX-727 receiver($349), Pioneer PL-12D turntable($99), Shure M-91ED cartridge($29), and a pair of Dynaco A-25 speakers($138). I worked hard to pay for it as a moderate system yet it still works superbly today and the only repair was...
  16. E

DISCO anyone?

Like you I loved and still love disco music which has endured the test of time. It sure beats the brain damage heavy metal/rock music of that era.
  17. E

How much should you tip at an all you can eat buffet

I fully agree with the above comment by sKIZo as a tip is for exceptional service. At many buffets the bill is paid even before getting a table and the only service is clearing tables of the used plates, cups, glasses, cutlery, and trays. When I have to pay in advance to get my own meal and...
  18. E

Moody Blues blues

ARE YOU KIDDING? In my opinion(and millions of other fans who bought over 70 million recordings) the Moody Blues are the best band ever. They were innovative in using the mellotron(analog synthesizer) and recorded with classical symphony orchestras to make music that was beyond rock. All...
  19. E

I pulled the trigger on a G7700!

The Sansui G7700 receiver is all razzle dazzle in appearance with immense bulk and glitzy face plate, however the inside components definitely show cost cutting results. In terms of sound quality it is average for that era while in terms of reliability the unit that I have has been horrible. Amp...
  20. E

Audiokarma running Slow???

I have experienced the very slow loading of AK for over 2 weeks. It takes 5-10 seconds for a clicked on article to appear on the screen when before it took 2-3 seconds so you definitely have company with regard to this problem.
  21. E

What was your very first electronic project?

In grade 9 I made a 9V solid state power supply to substitute for the battery to power a sony transistor radio. It saved me lots of money as 9V batteries were fairly expensive when the transistor radio was used many hours per day. That power supply lasted years and it started my interest in...
  22. E

Sansui 881 vrs sansui eight

I have both the Sansui Eight and 881 in excellent condition with the Eight performing better in my opinion. The build quality of the Eight is probably at the best level ever attained for non-esoteric markets in the 1970's, which is why it is often called the "engineer's" receiver.
  23. E

new tape deck

I have modified a Technics 676 cassette deck by relocating the playback variable equalization pot to the front face plate(sort of like some Yamaha decks play trim). It is a wonderful deck to play tapes made on other decks that may not have precise playback equalization. The 676 has been very...
  24. E

Lighter than air speaker cone material?

That article is scientifically nonsense since if it is lighter than air it should float away and NOT descend. The metal atoms that make up the geometric structure would have to be lithium, beryllium, sodium, magnesium, or aluminum (atomic masses less than the molecular mass of N2,28g/mol and...
  25. E

Looks alone: Best looking equipment?

I would say the Pioneer SX-1250 receiver that set the trend of changing from the back lit color tuning dial area to the all silver metallic appearance. The wrap around heat sinks project a powerful robust build quality which peaked with the SX __50 series.
Back
Top Bottom