Search results

1. musicman95

Infinity 6 Kappa x-over recap

I fit the caps on mine the same way; everything works like a charm. Granted I accidentally bought polypropylene caps, it looks rediculous in there.
  2. musicman95

Man, definitely didn't expect this thread to go this long. Sorry I didn't see any of these responses until now. Sounds like Seifreit gave you some great advice though. The kappas used wood glue to hold stuff together in the xovers, a real pain. Good luck on your project, I'll keep checking this...
  3. musicman95

Just scored a set of Renaissance 80!! A few questions for them...

Completely agree. I recently got the chance to listen to a pair of Ren80s and I was completely shocked with how different they sounded from the 90s. I actually brought my 90s to listen to them back to back. Very eye opening. First, congrats. Their a fine set of speakers. Second, I once read...
  4. musicman95

Yamaha, Sony, Crown ...which amp(s) for Kappa 9s

^+1 I tried the crown many times with different speakers and equipment and could never get the results I wanted. It's not a bad amp, it has a very clean sound, but I personally had MUCH better results with any of my other amps. (ADCOM 5800, Classe CA400, NAD 2600, Adcom gfa565, etc.) Ultimately...
  5. musicman95

Which Infinity's to choose from

I understand research to a point, but you really need to go listen to some of these for yourself. AK is a great medium to meet some people and listen to some awesome speakers. I don't know where you're at but I'm in Portland, Oregon I've got RSIIAs you could listen to. I don't want to volunteer...
  6. musicman95

Which Infinity's to choose from

Everybody has already covered most of the pros and cons of each. For sake of argument I'll throw in my two cents. Personally it's very hard to beat the RSIIBs, they're efficient enough to sound good with average equipment but will continually reveal every improvement you make up stream. That...
  7. musicman95

Infinitesimal restoration

I don't think I can use those nuts because the cabinet is metal. I was thinking I'd have to drill and tap them.
  8. musicman95

Infinitesimal restoration

I bought a pair of Infinitesimal 0.2s a while back that were in not so great shape. I finally got around to taking them apart and of course one of the Watkins woofers isn't measuring right. The 2.5 ohm coil is reading something like 16 ohms. I stuck a 9v battery to the terminals and it started...
  9. musicman95

Kappa 7 vs Kappa 7a

They are both sealed. None of the original Kappa series were ported. The .1 series Kappas are very different from the originals: different cabinets, ported woofers, Emit-Rs instead of Ks, etc. I have Kappa6s myself, wouldn't trade em for anything. Happy listening :music:
  10. musicman95

Looking at buying Infinity Renaissance 90 speakers - Should I?

Ya your right there, definitely expensive to replace. However, I have yet to read a story were they have failed, they are 15 years newer than the old EMIMs. Not saying they won't though
  11. musicman95

Looking at buying Infinity Renaissance 90 speakers - Should I?

I think thats a fair price for Ren90s, that's about what I paid for mine and I had to drive 4 hours to go pick them up. I wouldn't worry about the HE-EMIMs, the old EMIMs from the 80s are full of wrinkles and they still sound great. I think the Ren90s have a tendency to sound a little too...
  12. musicman95

Kappa 7 vs Kappa 7a

I've never heard either so I can't comment on them. But I found an interesting site a while ago, where a guy restores a pair of Kappa 7a's. He said that the difference lies in the crossovers. The Kappa 7 crosses over to the woofer at 600 and the EMIT at 4500 and the Kappa 7a at 800 and 7000. Not...
  13. musicman95

Wow, I completely forgot to write anything after I finished the recap. Well it's been 2 years since then and they sound MUCH better with new caps. I accidentally ordered all polypropylene caps and didn't have the patience to return them to parts express and order electrolitics, so I somehow fit...
  14. musicman95

Krell FPB 600... HOLY HELL!

I am not sure that "tube like" would be exactly my description but it was warmer and the soundstage was larger but it was missing some of the harmonic character. I think the best differences were macro-dynamics and the fullness of the mid/upper bass, even on the EMIMs the music seemed tangible...
  15. musicman95

Which Interconnects Are You Guys Using With Your Infinities?

+1 I can still hear the cables getting better as they break in. I think the big "ah ha" moment was when I listened to Phil Keaggy Morning Snow. The presentation always made it sound as if the guitars were layered on top of each other, but with the new cables I could here exactly where they were...
  16. musicman95

RS 2.5 Watkin's woofers issues?

I was able to listen to these with Sound Armour. The left channel was almost perfectly still and the right was moving more than any subwoofer I've ever owned. I don't know how to accurately measure excursion, but it was enough that it was rattling at higher volumes in the low frequencies.
  17. musicman95

Arnie Nudell has passed.

Well this is depressing :( he will be missed. His speakers were my first real pair and what started me into audio equipment, his legacy will live on. RIP
  18. musicman95

Infinity prototypes?

I would think they would sound closer to the Deltas and gammas, because these are dipole and have the older ribbons not the high energy. I've never heard either though
  19. musicman95

Infinity prototypes?

Whoa :eek: that's awesome, hope someone chimes in. I'd love to know some history behind those.
  20. musicman95

Renaissance 90s

The floor spikes finally arrived. At first I thought they were the right size. The first couple went in fairly easy, then the third one was giving me trouble. I took it out and looked at the threads, they were roughed up pretty good. I took the other two out and sure enough, the threads were...
  21. musicman95

Renaissance 90s

That's awesome! Wish I had thought of that, nice work.
  22. musicman95

Renaissance 90s

Man that's a bummer:(, I hate when that happens. I'll post another update with pictures when the spikes come in.
  23. musicman95

Renaissance 90s

Just a quick update. I put the Adcoms on them and wow, they just opened up. Highs sound better and cleaner, the bass is tighter and punchy, and the soundstage is almost rediculous. I'm actually very surprised by how neutral they are. I stopped using those amps because on the Kappa 8s I had to...
  24. musicman95

Renaissance 90s

Thanks for the tip, I never would have thought to Email him. Its been a while since he's made any EMIMs right? That would be awesome to be able to get some spairs.
  25. musicman95

Renaissance 90s

Nice! My friends got that amp, super sweet and musical, decent bass response too. I've got some Adcom amps packed away at home, I'll give them a try, see how they sound compared to my B&K amps.
Back
Top Bottom