Search results

1. buickguy62

Quick cap question. Don't recognize this brand...

Pretty sure all is original except the 700 ohm 5 watt power resistor, originally was a 680 ohm 2 watt unit. Close enough. The black caps are original. I've have seen them on 'original' A50K's that I've restored. Regardless, I recommend replacing all the electrolytics with new, and also the...
  2. buickguy62

Harman Kardon - A500 & F500X Project

Possibly, but maybe the 500 was factory built, the 500X a kit.
  3. buickguy62

Harman Kardon - A500 & F500X Project

There is a complete owners manual including schematic for the F500 tuner in the 'Digital Docs' forum.
  4. buickguy62

What timing!

After a prolonged power failure several years ago, I bought a generator knowing that if I did, I would never need it, so far it's true.
  5. buickguy62

hum problem with a solution

Nice information! Thanks.
  6. buickguy62

Burned resistor ? Value ?

In checking with one of my A230's the resistor is R19 on the Sam's Photofact and it's a 10 meg ohm unit. That corresponds to brown black blue. I measured mine and it is correctly 10 meg ohms.
  7. buickguy62

7591 tubes glowing blue?

I agree with Knucklehead that the aura shows up stronger in a picture than in real life, however it is still very visible in real life. Here's some new Soviet 6p3s in my HK250 power amp.
  8. buickguy62

Harman Kardon HK-250 Tube Amplifier Restoration

You might consider adding a power switch and pilot lamp. The HK-250 does not have one.
  9. buickguy62

Jim McShane retiring

Jim is truly a class act. Always there to answer questions and give unbiased advice. He absolutely will be missed. Wish you a great, well earned retirement.
  10. buickguy62

Step by step scratch build of a modified Eico HF-87

Just a heads up on the EICO HF-87. I bought one some time ago to restore or mod per Gillespie mods, but alas, too many projects, too little time, so I reluctantly just listed it in Barter Town if anyone interested. Tom
  11. buickguy62

Harman Kardon TA-260 Festival II receiver 7355

If you haven't, try swapping V12 with V13 and vice versa. If no help, try using a pink pearl or similar eraser on the tube pins. If still no help, use Deoxit on the pins and socket. If still no help, re-tension the socket pins, see pic. (All of this only on V12 and V13). If still no help, then I...
  12. buickguy62

Heathkit AA-40 HELP Please

Gotta love the experience and help from the folks on this forum. Thanks to all of you!!!
  13. buickguy62

On a schematic diagram, two numbers for the same tube pin?

Internal in the tube both pin 2 and pin 5 are connected to grid #1.
  14. buickguy62

Harman Kardon TA-260 Festival II receiver 7355

Do you think believe the 5 ohm 5 watt resistor was original to the unit? Every A500 amplifier (likely/possibly similar in the amp section) uses the 3.3 ohm resistor. Digi-Key, among others has the 3.3 ohm 5W resistor. https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/yageo/SQP500JB-3R3/18643
  15. buickguy62

HK 230 Ballad TUBES

Hi Steve, Not worried right now about the slight hum in the RH side. Can address that later. Overall I think we are in decent shape understanding the amp issues. As the LH channel seems to be working, that essentially shows the power supply is ok and it eliminates any LH specific items. So 2/3...
  16. buickguy62

HK 230 Ballad TUBES

Good show. The next guess is a tube to tube socket issue. Suggest you remove the metal tube shields if you haven't already. With the power off, remove and reinstall each tube in the same socket it was removed from. Power up and see what happens. These tests are safe and will not cause any harm...
  17. buickguy62

HK 230 Ballad TUBES

First, I'd suggest you connect the speakers for a single set, no center speaker as shown below. Position the jumpers as shown. If the jumpers are missing let me know. Then with power on and music playing exercise all the front panel switches, possibility one or another has some buildup on...
  18. buickguy62

HK 230 Ballad TUBES

Good for you! The A230 is a nice amp, I'm sure you will enjoy it and have a good time 'tweaking' it. Good next step might be to verify all the DC B+ voltages are to spec. As for the left to right volume imbalance, don't give it too much worry, unless it's pretty severe. Even when new, these...
  19. buickguy62

yay! - new toy - HK 'Allegro' A10

I've restored and sold several A10's, often paired them with the FA10 receiver, which generally can be bought for less than the A10. (One on the Bay now has an opening bid of $100, no takers). Makes a nice sized stereo setup, can feed from the FA10 to the A10 for mono FM on both units. My...
  20. buickguy62

buying NOS soviet tubes

Maybe so, but every $ that goes to Ukraine DOES NOT support Russia.
  21. buickguy62

HK 230 Ballad TUBES

If you are thinking you may want to buy an assortment of Carbon Film 1/2 watt resistors. might look at this package on Amazon. Five pieces of 73 standard sizes, almost assured that any value you need will be in the package. $13.75 + shipping unless you have Amazon Prime, where shipping is free...
  22. buickguy62

HK 230 Ballad TUBES

I still would suggest you only replace what we know is wrong. In your picture on posting #54 we see three new resistors, each with the incorrect value. A fourth resister in parallel with the "Audio Grade' capacitor in the picture in posting #22 also looks to probably be incorrect. These four...
  23. buickguy62

HK 230 Ballad TUBES

"And if you use the free shipping option, the total is only $3.20, which would save you $14.62. So the AES order costs 5.5x the price of the same parts from Digi-Key! :yikes:" Great money saver. Wow, that's the way to go!
  24. buickguy62

HK 230 Ballad TUBES

Thanks to FlaCharlie for the Sam's Photofact. I did a suggested list of resistors that I think you need and also some you may need, depending on how accurate the existing resistors are. I generally buy from Antique Electronic Supply, (AES), I've included their part numbers should you go...
  25. buickguy62

HK 230 Ballad TUBES

PM sent
Back
Top Bottom