Search results

1. Greg B.

SD-3990 DVD/CD Player Died, Need Replacement - Advice Please!

Back around 2007 I jumped on the bandwagon and bought a cheap Toshiba SD-3990 DVD player to use as a CD player on my vintage system. Worked great until I tried to use it tonight when it died. Troubleshooting seems to indicate it is terminal. And frankly, I don't have the expertise or inclination...
  2. Greg B.

Who Has Vintage Pioneer Amps/Receivers?

I have a few: SX-880 SX-3600 SX-3800 SX-3900
  3. Greg B.

Pioneer PL-7 - I like this table-Thoughts please!

Those early-80s straight-arm Pioneers get dissed a lot because they are so unlike the much-loved Pioneer TTs that preceded them: lightweight plastic (or resin as Pioneer termed it) base, no S-shaped metal arm, and a general feeling of being less substantial. But they produce nice sound and work...
  4. Greg B.

The new VideoKarma is set to launch!

My bookmarked link to videokarma.org (and all variations thereof) and the similar link on the AK page returns a 404 error. The .net version is functional though.
  5. Greg B.

SX-3900 - Milwaukee Estate Sale

http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/75870.aspx No affiliation, etc... just saw a posting in the color TV forums about the RCA set and there is a 3900 sitting on top of it in the picture! Someone nearby should grab it.
  6. Greg B.

AKAI TT's model numeration....

I have an AP-206C that I owned since the mid-80s. I really liked that turntable, but it developed a wobble in the platter that would cause it to occasionally brush against the base, which of course caused the speed to drop. I thought I had it fixed with a simple retightening of the motor...
  7. Greg B.

Pioneer PL-L70 TT

I originally posted this in the Pioneer forum but may do better here, so here goes. I was gifted yesterday by a coworker with her '80s-era Pioneer system. More on that later, but for now I am intrigued by one particular component -- a PL-L70 turntable from the mid-80s, complete in original...
  8. Greg B.

PL-L70 Linear Tracking TT

I was gifted today by a coworker with her '80s-era Pioneer system. More on that later, but for now I am intrigued by one particular component -- a PL-L70 turntable from the mid-80s, complete in original box and packing with all manuals, etc, and apparently in mint condition. I have never...
  9. Greg B.

Deoxit questions

I had similar questions related to my SX-3900 a year or two back and really got not much in the way of useful responses here. My problem was with a Pioneer toggle switch, and in the absence of any assistance I ventured forth to inject multiple sprays into the front of the switch combined with...
  10. Greg B.

Why My Fluroscan Addiction?

That pretty much sums up my story. While I had a small system in 1980 (actually pretty decent Akai components) when I saw my first Fluoroscan gear I had to have it. I always had a soft spot for Pioneer at the time anyway, but that just clinched it. Now I have too much. :music:
  11. Greg B.

SX-3900 Powers on, but no audio output...

So don't keep us in the dark! How does it sound??? For those of us who stayed with the continuing saga, the story got a lot convoluted over time. Could someone post the Cliff Notes version of what was actually finally determined to be the problem and what needed to be done to fix this one?
  12. Greg B.

Cleaning pioneer switches

I had a similar question a while back. After getting not much of anything useful in the way of responses I pulled off the bayonet switch "handles" to expose the slot better and liberally shot them with Deoxit several times over a period of a few days, combined with lots of switch-flipping while...
  13. Greg B.

Fluroscan lovers...

Just checking back in for my first post in a few months. I've been hooked on Fluoroscan ever since I first saw a SX-3600 on the sales shelf of my stereo store in 1981 or thereabouts. So now I have the SX-3600 I bought all those years ago, and a SX-3800 that I bought last year (always lusted...
  14. Greg B.

Pioneer PL-9 Turntable

Very nice -- the first time I've ever seen one of these. Are the large pushbuttons clear plastic with a metal label under the plastic? Hard to tell for sure from the pics. I presume this is a fully automatic tt? What does each of the buttons select/do?
  15. Greg B.

Pioneer Pl-9 Quartz Direct Drive T/t

First of all, welcome! By all means, post a photo of the turntable if possible. I'd love to see one. These are pretty scarce.
  16. Greg B.

Pioneer SX-3900 Power Switch

If you do a search on a well-known auction site for "Pioneer Part Power Switch SX-3900" right now I think you will find what you are seeking.
  17. Greg B.

Canadian Members?

Tucker99, thanks for the greetings and your generous offer of assistance. Your geography might be a bit off though... Halifax is about a 3 minute drive from where I live so it isn't far. :) A question for any and all Canadians: the great DeOxit hunt has come up cold locally. I have found a...
  18. Greg B.

Canadian Members?

Didn't even know this thread existed... Greetings from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, where, after the longest winter in recent memory, the sun is shining, the temps are warm, and I just spent the afternoon doing yard work. Things are good... :tresbon:
  19. Greg B.

The "crummy" series of Pioneer receivers made after the 70s

I always had a soft spot for Pioneer gear back in the late 70s when I was in school and my older brother had gotten into stereo gear in the mid-70s. He was a Sansui guy but I preferred Pioneers for some reason, sort of like Ford vs. Chevy. I had no income until I graduated so I couldn't actually...
  20. Greg B.

8-track spooling

It would be nice if you could share that with us. :D
  21. Greg B.

Guide: Make an old table Shine

Sounds like Vim...
  22. Greg B.

Did I choose right? PLC-590 vs PL-L1 turntable

So, Arkay, did you bring them home yet? What's the verdict?
  23. Greg B.

Need Help Diagnosis - Low Left Channel, SX-3900

No disrespect intended, but don't you think I already DID that? Let me clarify, because I am asking two specific questions: 1. Given the symptoms noted, what switches/controls specifically are the likely culprits? 2. How do you access a bayonet switch for cleaning? I wouldn't expect to...
  24. Greg B.

Need Help Diagnosis - Low Left Channel, SX-3900

Help me out here gang, I'm trying to figure out what is causing a low left channel on my SX-3900. Here are the symptoms: I noticed a few times recently that the left channel was putting out less output than the right -- not a lot, maybe 1 or 2 clicks worth on the Balance pot. When it happened...
  25. Greg B.

SX-3700 Arrived Yesterday

Looks nice... what are those speakers?
Back
Top Bottom