Search results

1. kby

rsl speaker

I realize this is quite late to the party, but for the record and future searches… The fuses in my 6600H speakers are 5A 250V ATE type. I'm fairly sure these are original (although I got the speakers new circa 1976…) for the following reasons: 1. I don't recall the fuses ever having blown 2...
  2. kby

RSL speakers, am I alone?

RSL has recommended this place for years for service; maybe they can provide or tell you where: https://rslspeakers.com/older-speakers/ I have not personally ever used them.-kby
  3. kby

What's wrong with Linear Tracking tables? Which ones are worth having?

One more vote for the ReVox: Apparently all linear tracking arms are not equal: I'm not talking about quality so much (although that, of course, is also true), but also in design. I decided to splurge and try this recording...
  4. kby

TDK D-180 Cassettes

So I have been curious about these for a long time, just for amusement and I finally found one that wasn't too horribly expensive (in terms of getting just one) to fiddle with. I am using a 1000zsl LTD rebuilt a couple of years ago by ESL. The main thing I find in not getting off first base, is...
  5. kby

The Maxell Reel to Reel Tape Reference Guide

I mostly preferred Maxwell as well. I believe I still have XLII-180s which I mostly got for live recordings but have dipped into for some time shift tapes when the piece on the radio on log for even a 120m cassette. That said I will note as a fellow Nakamichi user, I have numerous bad...
  6. kby

First Marantz Receiver w/ DC Amplifier

I realize this an extremely old thread, but I don't see a definitive answer (for the curious if no one else). I don't have a definitive answer, either, but I do have this quote from a the Marantz 2600 sales brochure: "Our answer to TIM is a circuit design that ensures the widest bandwidth...
  7. kby

Marantz 2500 toroidal power transformer blown

Looking more closely at Pio1980's last post and comparing schematics, the pattern appears to be that the 2500 US version had the thermal fuse as indicated in Pio1980's included schamtic. The 2600 US version has a different symbol in the same place; will get a picture later as I don't know...
  8. kby

Marantz 2500 toroidal power transformer blown

So I asked this question back in 2004 and never got a respone… now that there seems to be more interest/credence to the thermal fuse issue than seemed the case back then, I’ll ask again. According to the schematics, it appears that the thermal fuses are only in the US, not Euro, version of.he...
  9. kby

Teac X-2000r vs X-1000

Thanks! That is actually very interesting. Now that I know what to look for (and it's pretty much visible on every picture of the decks) I see that there are actuall 3 versions (two for sure) of the front panel in that area. Just looking around on the…auction site, I see a black deck that is...
  10. kby

Teac X-2000r vs X-1000

I don't know about the 700r. What is your documentation source on the 1000r (as in a print document or an image/pdf of a print document)? Almost all of the literature I find doesn't specify for the 1000/1000R—it just says "dbx." It might even have a footnote that says type I and type II aren't...
  11. kby

Teac X-2000r vs X-1000

I don't disagree (although I have no 1000r and haven't noticed an issue with the 2000r) with the observation that the heads might wear faster. I haven't, however, seen a convincing argument for why the fact that the mounting isn't as field-adjustable makes the heads wear faster. I will grant...
  12. kby

Teac X-2000r vs X-1000

The -2000 series machines have a significantly different designed transport in that the reel forward and back tension is servo controlled (sensed by the height of the tension rollers). That is why there is no reel size switch on it. You can actually use different sized reels at the same time if...
  13. kby

RSL repair FWIW, I think RSL's recommended place is Speaker City in Burbank.-kby
  14. kby

Unfortunately only a somewhat beat-up brochure that needs to be scanned...no good camera and they're also spread out in the room but not easily visible together from a single point. However, I'll see what I can do...-kby [Update: A couple of not-very-good pics of one--they aren't a mirrored...
  15. kby

Finally; think I mentioned them a few years ago when I joined and never heard anyone else comment! Did they change from foam surrounded woofers at one point? The ones I have don't LOOK like they have foam surrounds (rubberized cloth?) I bought mine from the Van Nuys store, incidentally, and...
  16. kby

I seem to be the only one with the 6600s...which I've had since about 1976.-kby
  17. kby

Vintage Nakamichi rig

atuque: I used to like Maxell for Type I and TDK for Type IV. I didn't used to use Type II as when I had my original 700 II modified (by Nak) to take Type IV I had to give up either Type I or Type II and I decided for various reasons to give up Type II, but I would have probably used Maxell...
  18. kby

Vintage cassette deck recommendations?

Ah. Got it. Just get the GOLD version :D -kby
  19. kby

OK, you can call me clueless. What's "WAF"?-kby
  20. kby

Adapting to tape differences I admit up front that I have a soft spot for the 1000zxl, but I would say that it is the pinnacle of what Nak could do at least in terms of adapting to tapes for recording. You just put the tape in and run the calibration (you can save values for commonly used...
  21. kby

Hmmm. Wish you'd tried different Naks for the record test. The Dragon has one feature that makes it particularly good for tapes recorded on decks with poor azimuth alignment, but something like a 1000zxl is a much better record machine. The 480 isn't bad but it is a 2-head deck. The "older" Naks...
  22. kby

Metal requires higher bias current, which means changes to the bias oscillator, and also a much heftier erase current to record, so bias oscillator electronics and both record and erase heads need to be different to record. Playback, as has been noted, only requires 70us equalization, which is...
  23. kby

And everyone keeps saying that Naks are expensive to repair :-).-kby
  24. kby

TANDBERG TCD-3014 - holy hell!!

There's a number of reasons nak tapes sound better on a nak. One is that the heads are better. However, another reason is here: http://www.geocities.com/p9019/nakamichi/threads.html#IEC1%20vs%20IEC2
  25. kby

My latest find

Pop quiz answer I was trying to show off the lights (hence the dark, although I was trying to get a compromise on that, apparently unsuccessfully).,, ..or maybe I should have billed this as one of those "what is this" quizzes... But I didn't actually intend that. Here's a better...
Back
Top Bottom