Search results

1. forgetcolor

SL-1600mk2 repeat function missing the LP

Bumping in case it helps this reach someone who didn't see it before. Anyone seen issues w/ occasional repeat function stylus placement issues on the SL-1600mk2 after replacing the typically-cracked gear in the tonearm assembly?
  2. forgetcolor

I'm finally reporting back—two years later! I did order the gear, but in the interim purchased a Sony PS-X555ES (which has been flawless) and have put more of my fix-it energy into my PX-3. But I recently dug back into the SL-1600mk2 and replaced the cracked gear (I ended up using a 3D printed...
  3. forgetcolor

Original Pricing for (now) Classic Turntables? Sony, Technics, Yamaha

Thanks for this! Converting to today's dollars, I get: Yamaha PX3: $670 in '82, $1788 in 2018 Technics SL-1600mk2: $400 in '79, $1473 in 2018 Sony PSX-555es: 450 GBP in '91, $1279 USD in 2018 Dual CS-506: $189 in 1979, $696 in 2018
  4. forgetcolor

Original Pricing for (now) Classic Turntables? Sony, Technics, Yamaha

As an owner of three vintage turntables (well, four I guess if I'm counting all of them, hmm...), I find myself wondering what they cost originally. I've done some poking around via search and haven't found any answers. So I'm wondering if any of you who might have bought these 'tables back in...
  5. forgetcolor

Yes, this sounds like the problem. And when I first got it I noted one of the gears looked iffy on the tonearm assembly. I ordered a gear and will report back.
  6. forgetcolor

I can try this, but it works flawlessly w/ the start/stop button, always landing on the right place. And sometimes it lands on the right spot during repeat as well.
  7. forgetcolor

I have a Technics SL-1600mk2 I've been using for a few years. Over time, the repeat function has been deteriorating. The symptom is that, sometimes, when on repeat, the tonearm misses the LP. In other words, at the end of the record, the tonearm lifts, moves to the lead-in groove, but moves a...
  8. forgetcolor

Okki Nokki First Observations / Questions

Yes, my suction wand doesn't lift on its own either (unless I wiggle it at just the right time). I didn't even mention this as it seemed less worrisome than the other issues I'm having. I guess I can contact the US distributor and try that route. However, I'll soon lose the ability to return...
  9. forgetcolor

I appreciate everyone's responses, and wanted to report back. I decided to contact Okki Nokki to ask a few questions before returning. I received a quick response asking for photos of the dust cover. I also sent a video of the platter warp. In response they said they'd get the US distributor to...
  10. forgetcolor

Looking for cart recommendations around $500

I have the Dynavector 10x5. It's very nice but I prefer my Nagaoka MP-500. If you get the Dyna, look for a phono stage with adjustable loading. It prefers less than 10k.
  11. forgetcolor

Just got an Okki Nokki (ON). My only other personal experience is with a Record Doctor (RD) V (which I returned after a couple tries) and a Spin Clean (SC) I've used for years. Observations: I like the ON much better than the other two. The RD was so loud I sent it back right away. The ON is...
  12. forgetcolor

Vintage Sony Turntables

I've seen several go by in the $1k range. keep watching
  13. forgetcolor

Nice / Higher-End Cartridges for Dual ULM Tonearms?

Guess I should mention it came with an AT 1100e, though it looks too high for sure if you care about VTA.
  14. forgetcolor

Nice / Higher-End Cartridges for Dual ULM Tonearms?

I have a Dual CS-506. Came with an Audio Technica AT1100e. I swapped it for an Orotofon FF 10 XE because the Ortofon is lighter and shorter. Shorter because there's no VTA adjustment and the stock tonearm height plus 1/2" cartridge adapter doesn't leave much room. Lighter because of the tonearm...
  15. forgetcolor

Dual CS-506 only getting one channel

Well, I redid the jack I soldered yesterday (on the channel that was dead). Works now. Continuity test also worked before the redo, but I think there might have been an intermittent short.
  16. forgetcolor

Yes, I did check for unexpected continuity as well as expected. I didn't check the cartridges since I tried two (one of which was known good) and the problem remained. Anyone?
  17. forgetcolor

Picked up a decent looking Dual CS-506 from craigslist for $5. Figured I'd fix it up and give to a friend. It needed a belt and a new RCA jack. I soldered on two new jacks, got and installed a belt, balanced everything up, and plugged it in. Only signal on the right channel. I checked my...
  18. forgetcolor

Yamaha PX3 or PX2?

both oh yeah
  19. forgetcolor

Sent A Package Off To Soundsmith Today. Tap Tap Tap. It's Tough To Be Patient

Mine came a little quicker than promised.
  20. forgetcolor

Vintage table owners, what would you buy new and why?

I would need full automatic features to go new. This is one of the main reasons I use vintage. I most appreciate the repeat feature, but also the auto shutoff when not repeating. I really wish someone would make a new high-quality table (similar to my vintage 'tables in quality) that was fully...
  21. forgetcolor

Dynavector 10x5 cartridge

I find the Dynavector 10x5 accurate but a little bright. When people talk about a "clinical" sound, I imagine my 10x5 is an example. On some LPs I appreciate the 10x5---some EDM for example. My best comparison cartridge is a Nagaoka MP-500, which i find warmer, fuller, and overall a more...
  22. forgetcolor

Yamaha PX-3 linear tracker restore. Tips and advice appreciated.

My cue down is pretty good speed-wise, but the cue up is very slow. This is the one remaining thing I wish I could fix. But since it cues down normally I'm not sure digging into the damper mechanism will fix it.
  23. forgetcolor

Yamaha PX-3 transport and button issues

I now have most issues solved with my PX-3, though it took several attempts. In the end I: replaced all belts adjusted the spring tension on the wide belts cleaned up everything on the inside used belt dressing on the wide belts disassembled enough to get deoxit on all the switches Now...
  24. forgetcolor

Yamaha PX-3 Tonearm Transport Stutter

Thanks for trying to figure it out! Definitely confusing. I did go ahead and do the belt dressing as you recommended and reassembled. My belts were a total of 0.2" stretched, so I did my best to adjust the springs that much. I also not only flipped the belts from their original position, but...
Back
Top Bottom