Search results

1. hurdy_gurdyman

Aiqin/Oldchen Tube Amps

Makes you wonder why the world ever went solid state in the first place, doesn't it?
  2. hurdy_gurdyman

Repairman needed

Need help recommending a repairman to replace electrolytic caps on a vintage Pioneer SA7800 integrated amplifier. Any recommendations? BTW, I'm in Michigan. Dave
  3. hurdy_gurdyman

problem with Pioneer sa7500 amp

No I haven't.
  4. hurdy_gurdyman

problem with Pioneer sa7500 amp

I just purchased a Pioneer SA7500 integrated amplifier. It seems to be playing one channel of sound through both speakers. The other channel is missing completely. I am completely perplexed by this one. Any of you have any idea about what's going on here? Dave
  5. hurdy_gurdyman

Nobsound 6p1 Amp flaws/mods

I gave up on this amp. Just too puny with very little bass. I went and bought an OldChen el34. Very nice amp which I am happy with. Dave
  6. hurdy_gurdyman

Aiqin/Oldchen Tube Amps

How's that A50 sound? I almost bought one of those instead of the MT-88. Dave
  7. hurdy_gurdyman

Aiqin/Oldchen Tube Amps

I have read the entire thread that Stephe did. In the end, she concluded the same as I have concluded. The output trannies are way too small, and the power tranny is too weak do do justice to putting better OTs on it. The Oldchen has a heftier power tranny and should make the unit a candidate...
  8. hurdy_gurdyman

Aiqin/Oldchen Tube Amps

I am familiar with low powered amps. My speakers are Tekton Lores and are quite high in sensitivity.
  9. hurdy_gurdyman

Aiqin/Oldchen Tube Amps

I ordered an OldChen EL34 from AliExpress yesterday and am hoping for the best. If it outperforms the poor performance of the Nobsound 6P1 I bought, I'll be happy. The Nobsound was a poor choice on my part. Output transformers way too small for barely any bass, though it might be OK for a...
  10. hurdy_gurdyman

I read in a post in the Oldchen EL34 thread that you use one of these amps to drive a pair of...

I read in a post in the Oldchen EL34 thread that you use one of these amps to drive a pair of Tekton Lores. Did you keep them hooked up for some time? I'd like to know if the match still sounds great to you, especially in the bass. Dave
  11. hurdy_gurdyman

Nobsound 6p1 Amp flaws/mods

Would I get better bass (less tubby) by going ahead and installing a pair of Edcore output transformers? I love the way the amp sounds except for the soft bass.
  12. hurdy_gurdyman

What TT's do you folks have

Reposting my ROK Rondine turntable because I changed tonearms from a wooden Grado to a Denon DA-150. This arm tracks better. My Grado XF1 cartridge likes it better. The arm is mounted on the back of the plinth, so I turned the thing 90 degrees so tonearm is easier to get to.
  13. hurdy_gurdyman

Tekton Owners Thread

The problem is too much of a bass trap coming from the flimsy walls. The bass travels right out through them. I've tried walking around but hear no noticeable difference in bass output. It's a crappy building for hi-fi use. Dave :(
  14. hurdy_gurdyman

Tekton Owners Thread

Just to set the record straight, I measured my in room response. Bass is about 10 db lower than everything else. This was measured from the listening seat. I have seen posted response graphs of Lores and know the bass is right up where it belongs. I have a room issue. BTW, I'm 66 years old and...
  15. hurdy_gurdyman

Tekton Owners Thread

Greetings. I just finished reading this entire thread, which took about three weeks. Very interesting read. Anyway, I am the proud owner of a pair of Lores that arrived about three months ago. I live in a mobile home (trailer house) and it makes things crowded for the stereo system. Also...
  16. hurdy_gurdyman

Rek-O-Kut Turntables - ROK

I'm currently using a XF1, which is a vintage 70's model approximating a silver/gold of today. I also have a G-1+ for a backup, just in case. Rumor has it that the Grado carts made during the heyday of vinyl were made to a better standard than the new ones today. Dave
  17. hurdy_gurdyman

Originally I didn't have rubber feet on mine, but recently put some between my upper and lower plinth (it's a two piece plinth. They seem to work OK, as I don't get feedback even at ridiculous volume levels. The Black Widow arm worked well with really high compliance cartridges. I used it with...
  18. hurdy_gurdyman

I removed the Black Widow and Grado wooden tonearms from my B-12 and added a Denon DA-50 on the back of the plinth. Because of how awkward it is to reach the cuing lever on hte back of the plinth, I turned it 90 degrees so the side is now the front. I put a Grado XF1 in the tonearm and now have...
  19. hurdy_gurdyman

Why are the older idler wheel turntables so highly regarded?

I've read this entire thread over a few days. Lots of good info. I've been an idler fan since the late 60's. Currently have a Rek-O-Kut Rondine B-12. in a heavy plinth I built. The heavy plinth draws most of the noise out of the idler and bearing. Tone arm for now is a 10" Denon DA-50. I've...
  20. hurdy_gurdyman

$11 Chinese AT3600L Thread Mk. II - Champagne sound on a Beer budget!

I have a few plastic shims. I may play around with this and see what happens. Dave
  21. hurdy_gurdyman

Tail down may be what's lacking with mine. Right now mine is tail up. Dave
  22. hurdy_gurdyman

Distortion with Brand New AT3600 Cartridge/Stylus

Not sure what relevance this video has. I'm not using a cheap changer with a sapphire stylus. Dave
  23. hurdy_gurdyman

Distortion with Brand New AT3600 Cartridge/Stylus

My aluminum .6 mil conical tracks at 2 grams. Dave
  24. hurdy_gurdyman

From all the enthusiasm in this thread, I expected better than what it was. I'm disappointed is all. I didn't expect it to be as good as the Grado, but expected better than what I got. My 1960's Shure M91 is better detailed and an all around better sound. Dave
  25. hurdy_gurdyman

I added a headshell weight to make it heavier. Also, the Lab 80 arm is cast metal and not particularly light. Dave
Back
Top Bottom