Search results

1. George W

80's Technics Integrated Amps

I bought the 505 with a pair of Cerwin Vega D-7. The sound was flat, and anytime the volume was higher than 5 the unit would go into thermal protection and shut down. If I tried to increase the bass the unit would shutdown at 4. Tried upgrading speaker wires, no change. Lackluster to the least...
  2. George W

How To Fix Your Photobucket Images The Easy Way

Yes sir. I am signed in, or I could not have posted in the forum. This is why I am not understanding why I can't see anyone's images (other than the Photobucket thumbnail).
  3. George W

How To Fix Your Photobucket Images The Easy Way

I cannot see any images on anyone else's posts. Photobucket tells me to upgrade my account to see images. I am registered member, but haven't visited AK in some time. What changed? Thank you.
  4. George W

Help! Sony PS-X600 - Platter won't spin!

spindle bearing?
  5. George W

"Volume" difference between amps with same preamp?

the Nad preamp has 2 sets of outputs. I'd like to think the variable pair, if set to max level, would approximately equal the fixed output. are you using these to feed your two amps?
  6. George W

vintage KLH rescued from the grubby clutches of GW

I used to bash a place near me which I dubbed, Free Flea Store. it's the kind of place where you leave feeling like something got on you. Yet their it was, a vintage Sansui, manual turntable, 1970s vintage, for $30. after replacing the belt and stylus, is the sweetest sounding record player I've...
  7. George W

Your Latest Additions (LP)......

Bob Wills Greatest Hits Vol. 2, Purchased at GW for a dollar, not an audible scratch.
  8. George W

What is the weakest audio formate

I agree. Just picked up a Bob Wills record from 1955 that doesn't have a scratch on it. GW price - 99 cents. First thing I did was digitize it, and the vinyl quality is very good. The songs don't have much of a 'mix', but the instruments are clean and a joy to listen too. I never knew Bob...
  9. George W

Best CD player for the money? old, new, -I don't care which.

1 vote for old Pioneer LD players. If the motor hasn't failed, their electronics were usually top notch, and GW usually sells them cheap.
  10. George W

New Steely Dan record has labels stamped on wrong sides.

AdamAnt316, I didn't give enough detail. The labels were printed correctly, but they were stamped on the wrong side. Side A, with 3 titles printed, has 4 tracks cut onto that side of the disc. The quality of the music is good, but I didn't think these sorts of errors occured anymore. Further...
  11. George W

Thank you f or your resources, didn't realize I was being gouged. The quality of the record is really good but if I can save $10 certainly worth seeking another source. Even with my hearing impairment the sound of vinyl is so much more pleasing to me now than it was 30 years ago - my...
  12. George W

Thank you for your thoughts. I bought it at a small shop in an art deco district of San Antonio. Store's name is Southtown Vinyl. There wasn't any more copies of this Steely Dan, this smallish shop is a startup and doesn't really have more than one of any album on the shelf at a time. I'm out...
  13. George W

In the spirit of attempting to return to vinyl I visited a local Record Shop. They had a Steely Dan (aja) album on ABC records. I paid my $35 and went home to enjoy this treasure. How surprised was I when I set the needle down on side A expecting to hear Peg, and instead heard the music for...
  14. George W

Yamaha DSP-A1000 vs RX-V2090

The A-1000, being the first of of a flagship product, had parameter adjustments which were removed from later receivers. Whether those extra adjustments are meaningful today, it does make the A-1000 unique.
  15. George W

Portable DAC vs CD player

nothing wrong with the sound of a 7020.
  16. George W

Old dog learning Old trick...DAW (Duh)

Using Audacity, I just 'drew' over my first vinyl Click. The amazing part is that it worked! I can't hear any remnants of an annoying click during a quiet moment in the tune. Finally, technology worked for me. I'm not claiming to be ready for recycle-bin records, but I still am jazzing on this...
  17. George W

Why didn't MiniDisc succeed?

Asia didn't have digital copy restrictions like the US did. During my deployments to Japan, I visited the Akihabara District, and gray market MD were on every vendor's table.
  18. George W

I had the MZ-R1, and copied original recordings all the time. It's limitation was that I could only copy from the original. Any copy would have the Inhibit bit set. That being said, the MZ-R1 was a 1rst generation product with advanced features that 2nd generation consumers didn't get. The...
  19. George W

Thrift store find. worth the effort?

I have the two replacement capacitors in my hands but I'm still hesitant to pull the turntable out of service. It is sounding very nice and I just received my digitizer. I've done my first test recording and I wish I could post it here for feedback purposes. All I have authorization to do is...
  20. George W

Technically there was no reason why ATRAC failed in the marketplace. It was a topic of discussion between all of my minidisc friends that it just didn't sound as good as CD. It was as if there was some kind of Jedi mind trick going on. They saw a mini compact disc so they thought it should...
  21. George W

looking for simple yet high resolution audio recorder

sreten, I received the product in the mail. I connected it to my old Mac Tower with a slightly older version of Audacity. Using the default settings, the result is promising. I'm hearing voices and instruments in the recording which I never really paid attention to before. The overall volume...
  22. George W

What causes pops and clicks?

Glad to see that Zerostat is still around, but didn't know they were that expensive. Looks like the same pistol I paid $17 in the 80s.
Back
Top Bottom