Search results

1. George W

New Steely Dan record has labels stamped on wrong sides.

In the spirit of attempting to return to vinyl I visited a local Record Shop. They had a Steely Dan (aja) album on ABC records. I paid my $35 and went home to enjoy this treasure. How surprised was I when I set the needle down on side A expecting to hear Peg, and instead heard the music for...
  2. George W

Old dog learning Old trick...DAW (Duh)

Using Audacity, I just 'drew' over my first vinyl Click. The amazing part is that it worked! I can't hear any remnants of an annoying click during a quiet moment in the tune. Finally, technology worked for me. I'm not claiming to be ready for recycle-bin records, but I still am jazzing on this...
  3. George W

Sansui TT started service today.

For those of you who followed my other thread on the thrift store Sansui, I've inserted it into my main system. It still has an issue with it's ability to lift the stylus at the end of the record, I have a couple of capacitors on order for that repair. I couldn't wait any longer to hear it...
  4. George W

looking for simple yet high resolution audio recorder

I recently picked up a vintage high-end turntable with a new stylus, so naturally I want to digitize my records! My old iRiver portable is limited to mono recording. I was wondering if there is a modern day machine - simple, portable, high resolution, but with stereo inputs. I have...
  5. George W

Question about cartridge life.

I'm awaiting replacement parts, including a stylus for a Shure M95HE cartridge. It will be for a vintage Sansui turntable of which I'm not the original owner. This is a thrift store find, and I have no idea about the condition, or hours on the cartridge. Once the replacement stylus is in, would...
  6. George W

Thrift store find. worth the effort?

There is a .Sansui SR-4050c, not workng, for $40. the lights come on but the platter does not spin. All the parts appear to be there. it feels like a solid turntable but not sure if the restoration plus cost is worth it.can belts be purchased for 70's turntables? I'd love to have a classic...
  7. George W

disappointing discovery on the Apple music store

I don't often purchase from the Apple music store, but I noticed some albums under the name of Floyd Cramer. Floyd Cramer was a favorite of my mother, so I wanted to purchase this collection for her. It only took a couple of songs before I noticed that they were not the original versions of...
  8. George W

splitting signal to compare preamps, economical way?

I bought a Carver Sonic Holography preamp at GW for $20. Light comes on, now I've got to connect it. If it works I want to compare its output to that of my Marantz AV9000. I'd alternate their 'out' into the same power amp. What would be an economical way to split a source? Many of the old...
  9. George W

Pizza Hut kills Demolition Man

Was watching the movie 'Demolition Man', hadn't seen it in years. In 1993, Taco Bell was the major sponsor so the film had Taco Bell references throughout. Today, as I was streaming it online, all of the TB endorsements have been replaced with Pizza Hut references. When did t his even happen...
  10. George W

My reply completely disappeared from Klipsh thread, no rules broken that I know

I had responded to the Original Poster in this Klipsch thread, when he asked a question of what BPC meant. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/wife-just-tried-to-blow-up-my-hereseys.703753/page-2 As far as I knew, my post was the last response specifically to OP's query, on what...
  11. George W

Sansui 5050, $16.50 @ thrift store

Tuner and tone controls are working, only had tiny PC speaker to test with. Does the 5050 have any 'known' issues, or just the expected age-related stuff? Thank you.
  12. George W

Nakamichi Receiver 2 @ GW Auction...$46 & sounds great!

I am so glad some people hate analog. :music:
  13. George W

RTR Transfer service of half-track, 1/4" master tape?

I have some High School Band tapes from the late 70s which were recorded on a Revox A77, half-track tape, 7.5 i.p.s. The condition of the tapes could be bad as they were all stored together in their original boxes, in a bigger cardboard box, in the Texas humidity( I thought I might own another...
  14. George W

I had not ever seen this configuration before in a console

Thrift store wants 80 bucks for it. RTR does not work.
  15. George W

Technics repair costs for 'free' turntable, worth it?

A co-worker has a Technics turntable which he wants to donate to me. I'm a little hesitant since he says it's a SL1200 Mk II, and claims 'all it needs is a belt'. Maybe he's mistaken about the model number, but a direct drive motor with speed problems sounds expensive. I understand this is a...
  16. George W

RUFSM?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nakamichi-DR-2-Cassette-Deck-/221902419079?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
  17. George W

AK making Apple money.

I see such great playlists that I usually run to the iTunes store to buy a sentimental old song. I've spent more $ with Apple since joining AK than any previous time. :music:
  18. George W

Would 14 bit PCM be readable by AVR?

I have an old Technics SV-100 PCM processor from 1985 that is 14 bit. It has 3 output connections: 1. stereo analog 2. A>D signal to video tape 3. a digital "copy out". Would an AVR with digital inputs recognize a 14 bit pcm raw signal? It's been a few years, but someone once told me this poor...
  19. George W

Puzzling picture is emerging: Marantz vs vintage Sansui

Hello again. I've been running a Marantz AV9000 / MM9000 combination on my Heresy's for two channel listening. No bashing here. I am completely satisfied with the quality of the sound from a THX rated preamp, 150 W/ch power amp. Or at least I thought so. I just finished my first...
  20. George W

Pulled the trigger on AU-505.

I won the auction for this integrated amp through the goodwill website. Its condition will be unknown, so I'm looking for qualified tech or service center to send it to. Can anyone make recommendations for service for vintage Sansui within the continental United States? Thank you.
  21. George W

original Bose 301s worth restoring?

There's a pair of original 301s at a thrift store for $40. Needs surrounds and foam, but the cabinets are in good shape. Cones do move when transistor battery was applied. I've never heard 301s to form an opinion. Are they worth restoring for a NAD 3020? Thank you.
  22. George W

amplifier class in vintage receivers?

Reading about experiences with vintage receivers, much is said about musicality and quality of reproduction. Was there a general design feature of vintage receivers that could help identify the class of amplifier used? I"ve become intrigued by Sansui products from the 70s. I would expect...
  23. George W

Good Will 'changes' decreasing thrifty opportunities?

In my area, GW has minimized or eliminated computer sales in their stores. This change has created a tendency to relocate the remaining electronic donations to certain stores within an area code that have the space to store it. With this shift, the pricing has changed from the random staffer...
  24. George W

Same stream, different paths, sounds noticeably different

My primary media source has become my Apple MacPro. That path is USB>DAC->coax Preamp (the DAC supplies a digital out as well). The sound was great, and I was happy. Then I realized I didn't need the DAC(NAD USB DAC-1) in the middle. The Mac Pro has optical output, so I went direct...
  25. George W

Ahhh! a little subwoofer again

Almost as if 'Karma' was in the air, I came across a MTX Audio SW1 from thrift store just when I was researching a replacement for my huge JBL. Fits right in the space, big output complimenting my Klipsch. It really puts the funky step back in Commodores' Brick House.
Back
Top Bottom