Search results

1. A

Moving from iTunes to a media server - want to use my m3u playlists

Using iTunes over the years I have created many large playlists and I know I can export them as m3u files so I would much rather use them as is, or edit them, or use some tool to convert them to another format as opposed to recreating the playlists in a network/streaming system. As a starting...
  2. A

Dead subwoofer - repurposing ideas

Looking for suggestions, and even general commentary -- I was given a Definitive Tech Supercube iii with a dead amplifier. I don't really need it but but after opening it up and admiring its construction I am tempted to re-purpose it -- if it makes sense to do it while still being on the...
  3. A

Phone->Amp->Speakers = low output

I posted a version of this question a year ago but after experimenting again today I want to ask it a different way. I have two power amps (basically CL finds) -- a Pyle PAMP 1000 and a Ramsa WP-9055. I have tried both driving speakers where input is from a phone connected via a 3.5 to RCA...
  4. A

What is up with Daphile?

So I downloaded and installed and had a few questions. But I have not seen a product (even free) that offers a lot of promise while still being completely opaque. I checked the site for detail info but did see any. I clicked the "contact" link on the main site and ask where the...
  5. A

Playlist files - different machines and/or different source tree issues

I've used iTunes (on a PC) for creating some playlists even though I didn't commit to using iTunes indefinitely. Now I am wondering how much of these lists can be preserved if I use some other player. I've exported my one of these playlists and opened in WordPad to see what I would be faced...
  6. A

How to: Ethernet in, RCA out?

I am filling in the mental "big picture" here and I want understand the link to a 2 channel system without using WiFi. I guess that there are media receivers that have a RJ-45 jack and that you can connect it to your network and (I think) send media files to it via an app on your phone or...
  7. A

Chromecast Audio - Tell us you success stories

My issues aside, I think it would be interesting to hear from people who use one or more CCAs and have no problems with it. It would be most helpful to hear what exact device you use for your wireless access point or wireless router -- and configuration details that made a difference. I...
  8. A

Starting with BubbleUPnP -- and -- Is DLNA still viable?

I guess I am really asking for a source of complete information to take someone from concept/big-picture to implementation without just a fixed recipe of device/software choices. This, rather than searching this and other forums and posting questions everywhere. A foothold on this whole...
  9. A

Who has gotten rid of their CDs -- and how?

I am very eager for more space at home and a better sense of "mobility" down the road. So I have been thinking about finally getting rid of CDs. Reading other posts here I see that I shouldn't count on getting even $1 for them unless I were to attempt to sell them individually in some way. And...
  10. A

Questions about preamplifiers

I am a vintage integrated-amp, vintage receiver kind of a person and sometimes a user of AVR type stuff to drive 2 channels. So, I don't have direct experience with preamplifiers and I have accumulated some general questions that I am not finding good answers for via searching. 0) I am not...
  11. A

Large/Old Advent Refoam kit with Caps

A while back I seem to recall mentions here of a known good source for kits that included what I might need for refoaming and recapping older/original/large Advents all in one kit. I know I can get this stuff individually but I liked that it was a well respected seller as well. I can't find...
  12. A

Near Field - Does it make everything sound better?

I am trying to down-size and I have set-up the first of several speaker tests to try and decide which can "go". This round is the larger bookshelf speakers and there are 4 sets on a speaker switch box and I an using the same source for all of it. Since I am doing the test in a smallish office...
  13. A

What kind of system(s) would James Bond have today?

Somewhat serious question - say money really isn't an issue but you don't want something over the top in terms of size and/or number of components. After all, as James Bond you're not home all that much. And when you are home you might be using it for entertainment or background music rather...
  14. A

Wave guides, base ports and Bose Wave Radio "secrets"

I picked up a used Wave Radio a while back and I am still in amazement over the sound that comes out of that little box! So I've been curious about how much of that sound is due to the design of the internal wave guide versus more obvious factors (amp and speaker quality). Assuming it is the...
  15. A

Batch Equalization

As my second question related to the goal of being mostly digital in 2017 I am wondering about equalizing the volume levels of the digital files I already have. In the past I think I tried this with Total Recorder but I seem to recall being less than satisfied. So, how would you go about...
  16. A

Making playlists on Android based music players

I want to make up playlists on a desktop (windows, liunx) and copy (drag and drop) that playlist to an Android phone, and the songs so I don't do any sorting/organizing on the phone itself. Ideally, I will use the same application on the desktop (as my home audio digital source) and on the phone...
  17. A

Soaked Maggies

I haven't looked in the forum before now but I've been amused enough to post this photo from an ad that has been running on Chicago's Craigslist for weeks. First - They are SMGs Speakers for $375. Maybe worth $200-$250 in good shape? Second - The ad says "great cosmetic condition" and...
  18. A

sensitivity comparison chart (looking for)

Is there a good (comprehensive) chart out there somewhere? I've searched here and on the web in general looking for a chart that lists manufactures specs (especially sensitivity) for various models/brands with very little luck so far. There is one chart out there but it doesn't include any...
  19. A

Minimus 7 - Stacked vs Econowave

I have 4 extra Min7 I am wondering if I should use them in a "stacked" arrangement or modify them by adding horns instead (Econowave conversion). Your thoughts? Your quick feedback is appreciated as I want to do this today -- on this 1st day of April.
  20. A

Integrating pro audio equipment with home systems

I searched on this but didn't find a match. Maybe I didn't use the right terms or maybe Google searching is better? Anyway, I'm sure this has been asked, right? So, I bought yet another item I probably should not have. Now I find that this amp (I am leaving the particulars/model aside for...
  21. A

Identifying RBH speakers

I found these at a thrift today (probably spent too much). Anyway, I bought them based on what looks like excellent build quality. But other than the RBH logo on the grill cloth there is no identifying information. Anyone know what they are? The RBH web site and a Google image search were...
  22. A

Differences between Magnepan and SMG and SMG-A

I know someone with a pair of SMG that have not been used in a very long time. That got me reading and thinking about them and many posts seem to lump the two together. Searching specifically on the differences led me to one post elsewhere, by Peter Gunn, saying he does not think much of the...
  23. A

Next step in seeking "the sound"

I am looking for suggestions for next steps that might lead me to what I am looking for. Since this is so subjective this question is a bit wordy. As I've mentioned in my intro, and to a few of you at a recent gathering, I am in pursuit of an amorphous and subjective quest for a certain...
  24. A

Speaker selector switch as an amplifier selector

Recently I have been using a Niles speaker selector (SVL-4) to compare various speakers side by side while holding everything else constant. Now I am considering comparing amplifiers by connecting one set of speakers to the "amplifier" terminals of the switch box and different amplifiers to the...
  25. A

Resoldering Tweeter wire

I have a tweeter (B&W TW26SL) where one of the wires on the face is loose from the nearby post (the speakers were an inexpensive buy). I am going to try resoldering the wire but have two questions: 1) The wire is as thin as a hair (obviously) and I fear that stripping away some of the...
Back
Top Bottom