Search results

1. sans-culotte

Somebody has no idea what they scored . . .

I was in my local record store yacking with my friend on the topic of "deals we've missed out on." He tells me this past summer he checked out a garage sale down the street from him. Picked up some lps and there was also some decent audio gear there, but nothing he couldn't live without. He...
  2. sans-culotte

A good price on a Thorens?

I've been in the market for a turntable and was expecting to be shelling out between $800 - $1000 to get what I wanted (and could afford). Then I found this offering and called the guy on it. A Thorens TD 166 mkii for about $500. It's got a Shure M95-HE with it. Is this a good turntable for the...
  3. sans-culotte

What model is this Pioneer?

I got this Pioneer in the mid-90's from Audio Exchange? in Chicago. Guy who sold it to me said it was a decent table back in the day. I paid like $20-$30 for it as i recall. It's been decent although it takes quite a while to get up to speed these days.
  4. sans-culotte

$550 Is this a good buy?

I am in the market for a turntable.Ideally I'd like to spend somewhere around $500 (but could probably be persuaded to go as high as $800 if it was something great). As I have heard some horror stories about shipping I was trying to find something for sale locally (unless I just get disgusted...
  5. sans-culotte

Turntable values

A Thorens TD 166 MKII for $550 or a Denon Direct Drive Record Player Model DP - 1200 for $500 - which (if either) would you AKers consider the better buy? Thanks!
  6. sans-culotte

EV Aristocrats in my house. . .

I decided to pull the trigger and drive through near white-out conditions to snag these Aristocrats but we all made it back to Kalamazoo in one piece. I had to swap out the old speaker wires and opening these things up is a . . . well, let's just say: It was projects like this why electric...
  7. sans-culotte

Electro Voice Speakers. . .

I've had my eye on a pair of Electro Voice Aristocrats for a while now. Haven't gotten the chance to hear them yet but, just tonight, an old high school buddy of mine had me over to his place to give a listen to some jazz on his Electro Voice Centurions. I have to say, I was pretty impressed. I...
  8. sans-culotte

Your thoughts?

So I've been mulling over trying out some new speakers of late. There's several types of Maggies available in my area and I likely will go and give them a listen, but then I found a guy who is selling a pair of Electro-Voice Aristocrat speakers. I think they're from the late 1950's or so? They...
  9. sans-culotte

Magneplaner MG I's

For sale, very close to me. I've been curious about Maggies for some time. I've got two different solid state receivers thatare both 120 watts per channel. Are they enough to drive these? I've heard Maggies are "power hungry"? Also, the guy is selling these for $325.oo He says they have, "New...
  10. sans-culotte

Sansui 771

Just curious what would be considered a fair price for a Sansui 771...cleaned, all lights working. Seller lists for $180.00 OBO. Thanks in advance!
  11. sans-culotte

1950's Heathkit

Apologies if i'm posting this in an incorrect forum. Please feel free to relocate it and school me. Was scrolling through my somewhat local Craigslist offerings today and saw this piece, which I thought was absolutely beautiful and decided to share it with my fellow AKers. I kind of remember...
  12. sans-culotte

Cornwall cuestions...

Apologies if I am breaking with protocol buy asking a "value" question in a thread other than Dollars and Sense but, this thread IS "all things Klipsch" so. . . I have a chance to take possession of a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls for $700. I trust the seller a great deal as I've purchased a...
  13. sans-culotte

Design Acoustics

Helpful AKers identified these Design Acoustics speakers as either PS-8a or PS-10a model. I was curious if $175 was a fair price for them? They are (supposedly) in "mint condition".
  14. sans-culotte

Design Acoustics Model?

I was wondering if anyone here could identify what model these Design Acoustics might be?
  15. sans-culotte

Help a feller out over here!

After reading many rave reviews about how Chorus I Is just sing with tube amplification I took the plunge and bought a fellow AKer's Yaquin MC-10L amp. I then learned that the amp needed a phono pre-amp sooooo, I bought another fellow AKer's Hagerman Bugle 2 pre-amp. Okay...everything finally is...
  16. sans-culotte

Technically SA-505

Technics SA-505 A colleague of mine gave his old stereo from his undergrad days in the dorms. The stuff had been sitting in his damp MI basement for a number of years. He was going to pitch it all in the trash but heard of my enthusiasm for audio and gave me his Technics SA-505 and a pair of...
  17. sans-culotte

A few questions about the Crites upgrades

Some time ago I came on here professing my love for my newly acquired Chorus IIs. I was told by a handful of helpful AKers about the Crites upgrades. What I wasn't told (at least I don't recall) was how the sound would be improved. I decided to enjoy my Chorus IIs as stock for the time. Well...
  18. sans-culotte

Auditioning speakers

I have been sort of looking about for speakers that can really do jazz/classical justice. I have some Large Advents and Klipsch Chorus IIs that can do the rock-and-roll thing to my satisfaction but yeah, I'm looking to try something new. Tomorrow I am auditioning a pair of Quad 21L speakers...
  19. sans-culotte

Jolida value

So a guy one town away is selling a Jolida SJ 502A tube amp for $600 with the original box and manual. The owner is a certified electronics tech and has been the only owner. Can anyone tell me about this model? Is that a fair price for an introduction to tubes or are there other options out...
  20. sans-culotte

Testing the waters . . .

I'm totally new to the "tube world". A buddy of mine loves his tube set up. His isn't McIntosh but. . . anyway, I've got a line on a McIntosh MC 2100 for $475. Would that be considered a fair price? The unit appears to be in good condition. My main speakers are Klipsch Chorus IIs. How about a...
  21. sans-culotte

A question about speaker selectors

A speaker selector like a Rotel RSS-900... On the surface of it, I have to laugh at myself for asking this question: "What does a speaker selector do?" Answer: "It "selects" which speaker you wish to use." - or at least that's what I suspect? If I wanted to hook up several different pairs of...
  22. sans-culotte

Luxman R-1070 and...!

Went to pick up my Luxman R-1070 from the shop today - ended up leaving with a turntable to boot! Got a JVC QL-5. Just plugged all of it in...Man, My Large Advents never sounded better!
  23. sans-culotte

Paradigm Esprit V.3

I've looked through most Audiokarma posts regarding these, but it seems most folks are using them as part of their surround sound system. Are they any good for just straight up plugging into your receiver and listening to MUSIC on? Anyone who owns a pair of these, I'd be interested to know...
  24. sans-culotte

Unknowns

Someone is selling these on CL for $100. They don't know if they work or not. They sure are handsome speakers though. They are being advertised as "Mid Century Modern" design . . . Here's the dimensions: The cabinets are 17" x 15" and are 23" tall. Think these were a custom build job or...
  25. sans-culotte

Speakers of unknown origin. . .

Anyone got a line on what these might be? Someone on Craigslist is selling the pair for $80.00. At first blush I thought they might be some homemade custom jobs but I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone had a clue. Never can tell. I certainly wouldn't want to miss out on "The...
Back
Top Bottom