Search results

1. kryten79

Your Lamps/Lights for the dark…

Picked this up for cheap at auction earlier this year. Of course the proper chimney cost me way more than the lamp! This is my fourth or fifth.
  2. kryten79

VHS to PC

there are commercial analog to digital transfer services, eg. legacy box or more local solutions. Otherwise, there are doodads and geegaws to do the act. If you have a computer and a Decent VCR, see if you can make the ins and out match, plenty of software to record incoming video. Years ago I...
  3. kryten79

DVD/CD Player won't play certain formats

Yep, I thought about clarifying AFTER I had logged out. You are correct, of course. Glad the Sony is working for the OP.
  4. kryten79

Taking the leap...

Guess you will find out if you enjoy it when you get your starter Atmos system up and running. Not being snarky - it's just that some love atmos and some don't find it measures up to the hype. I did start with 5.1 and cheaper speakers and then upgraded over time. If you want to experiment...
  5. kryten79

DVD/CD Player won't play certain formats

Those are two well-supported codecs. Most if not all DVD players made in the last few years should play them easily. In the manuals, available online, there will be a section on supported file formats you can check before you spend your money. Samsung, LG and Sony all have models which would...
  6. kryten79

The "You think your day is going bad? Listen to this!" Thread. Rant away!

My old Dodge Dakota with almost a quarter million miles on it failed annual state safety inspection. For the last month I've been cussing the safety inspector for being nit-picky. Had to change from LEDs back to incandescent (recent state law change and my 8 year old LEDs weren't DOT approved)...
  7. kryten79

Why do some DVDs Go Bad

Disc Rot is a real thing. Not many of us ever even think to do a full copy of commercial discs because it is (probably intentionally) a difficult and time consuming process. Lots of info on the web. when they were released, CDs hoped/claimed a 20year life span. Lasers get weaker with age...
  8. kryten79

To ATMOS or not to ATMOS & DTS:X

OHHHHH, @twiiii - The answer is sooooo obvious. ...... Powered Tactile bass shakers under the chairs and couch! :rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:
  9. kryten79

Weird sound problem

A year or so ago I ordered a dozen monoprice premium high-speed cables and replaced and junked ALL the old ones. Life is way to short to suffer HDMI cable interruptions. I felt your pain and uttered a few swear words. Now if I can keep the cats from crawling behind the TV and jiggling the...
  10. kryten79

Analog to digital

Depends on your receiver. If you have analog RCA inputs, most any phono preamp with RCA outputs will work. If not, you can find preamps with optical outputs. You can spend a whole lot of $$$ on a preamp!
  11. kryten79

Shipping amplifier in original box

This shoulda been a poll question. I vote Yes - at least brown kraft paper wrap it. Against that is so many people reuse boxes that the contents in a shiny manufacturer box could be anything so hiding it in plain sight might be better from a theft deterrent than the lure of the unknown hiding...
  12. kryten79

Lioraclev - bluray region?

https://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-dmp-ub900-player-region.2075157/ Reads like you can get it to play region-free DVD but NOT blu-ray. Because yours is an older machine, you may be forced to buy a newer Blu-Ray player that comes region free from the manufacturer.
  13. kryten79

Lioraclev - how to downstream atmos in Panasonic bluray?

The dvd player manual will have a list of file formats and codecs that it supports. If it doesn't, the manufacturer website will have the info. DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-Master, DTS:X and Dolby ATMOS are all different codecs. Most manufacturers, and especially Sony fail to support MKV files with the...
  14. kryten79

Lioraclev - how can reserve my subtilte in sony bop x700?

embedded subtitles are a common source of frustration. Some types aren't supported by some devices. A workaround is to have a separate SRT subtitle file with your video file, both named exactly the same. If there are multiple languages, and your Sony can see and use them, then it will...
  15. kryten79

What is this tool???

Your mom's sounds way fancier than what I remember on Grandma's back porch! (Looking at the post from the OP, I think it really is a mop squeezer with some parts missing)
  16. kryten79

What is this tool???

way back they were unaffectionately called manglers referring to their uncanny tendancy to pull in fingers, arms, hair
  17. kryten79

Best UHF Antenna?

thx for the tip
  18. kryten79

Commercials You Hate

Have you seen the carrot commercial for bent dick syndrome? First time I saw it was through fast forward and I still caught the gist, had to back up and LMAF. Better living through chemistry, indeed.
  19. kryten79

Christmas Gift Ideas for Wife that has everything

no affiliation. Women love LUSH cosmetics. A receptionist at the dentist several years ago recommended their products to me when I was at a loss as to what to get. Wifey is still buying from them, as are several of her friends .
  20. kryten79

Best UHF Antenna?

Curving the thread, I am also looking for an antenna with FM capability. Due to HOA rules, I will mount it in the attic. It only has to shoot through the sloped roof and asphalt shingles and reach over relatively flat terrain less than 40 miles. Fortunately most of the stations are in a...
  21. kryten79

Hurricane Evacuation

Florida gets around two million new residents every year. Wonder if they will have the sense to evacuate?
  22. kryten79

Random Thoughts or Whatever

One of the cats has started randomly sniffing my armpit, AND It ain't even Saturday!!! Because of renovations upstairs I borrowed a brother-in-law and moved to the basement hallway a 1959 Zenith SF185 stereo (turntable, radio), a 1927 Edison C-19 Diamond Disc Record Player and a 1935 Zenith...
  23. kryten79

Prices.... Going Up!!!

Hmmnm, What??? from https://www.thebalancemoney.com/national-debt-by-year-compared-to-gdp-and-major-events-3306287 End of Fiscal Year Debt (in billions, rounded) Debt-to-GDP Ratio Major Events by Presidential Term 2016 $19,573 105% Brexit 2017 $20,245 104% Congress raised the debt ceiling 2018...
  24. kryten79

Best speaker score under $100

All from last 3 years, some thrift, some CL Acoustic Research AR2ax - $75 KEF Coda III - $24 Klipsch KG4 - $25 Pioneer CS-33A - $10 Pioneer CS-77A - $10.50 Polk Monitor 5 - $34 Polk Monitor 5 - $51 Polk Monitor 7 - $90 Polk Monitor 7 w/ stands - $100 Of course they all need(ed) something, foam...
  25. kryten79

Roku quirk - kicked out to home screen

I looked around the community at roku.com and avsforum.com and didn't find a similar complaint (but I didn't look too hard). I haven't had my Ultra long but did not have your experience with the FreeVeee channel. Could be something with your firmware level? If you're up to date, possible try...
Back
Top Bottom