Search results

1. Aptone

Altec 3182 subwoofers

I was able to get some Altec 3182 18" sub woofers in good condition. They were used in a home theater setup, built into boxes in the back wall, along with a 100" projection TV and some Genesis Quartet speakers. It must have been a heck of an experience to watch and listen to that system! So...
  2. Aptone

Russian paper diaphrams for Altec horns

Has anyone tried these paper diaphrams from Russia? Found on ebay. Cheaper than Great Plains but more intrigued by the driver material. I am wondering how they sound.
  3. Aptone

My first horns: Altec A7

So, as my speaker journey progresses I have been kinda wanting to visit the land of horns. There was a set of Altec A7s on Vermiont's Craigslist a while ago, and I resisted them. They disappeared for a few months and then popped up again, and I had to go listen to them. It turns out that they...
  4. Aptone

Wirelessly connect multiple stereos?

I have multiple stereos set up in multiple rooms. It would be nice to be able to connect them together so as I move around the house, or have a party, they are all playing the same thing. Running speaker wires or RCA interconnects would be a royal pain, so I am thinking wireless. There are some...
  5. Aptone

EMIT Frankenmaggies

I could use some help on a project from the crossover gurus on Audiokarma. I got a pair of Magnepan MG-IIb from @baco99 a while ago (thanks Brian!) with bad tweeter wires. I replaced the aluminum tweeter wire but it just wasn't producing the highs I get from my ADS or the airiness from my...
  6. Aptone

Boss's Yamaha R-300 having problems

So I volunteered to do my boss a favor and see if I can help him with his Yamaha R-300 receiver that was having issues. I figured that maybe a Deoxit cleaning would set it right. The cleaning helped get rid of scratchy controls but it has bigger problems. It will play normally for a while then...
  7. Aptone

DBX 3BX-DS is failing

I have a 3BX-DS which I love, but the left channel has started dropping out intermittently. Has this happened to anyone else? I have no idea how old it is as I bought it used, but it could be 30+ years? I would appreciate any advice, thanks. George
  8. Aptone

What to do with ADS L1290s - reveneer, new cabinets, or open baffle?

I bought some ADS L1290s series I that work pretty well, but the cabinets have been treated poorly. Someone tried to sand and refinish the veneer, and burned through the veneer in some spots. In addition, the veneer has chipped on one top, and there are still scratches on the sides. Regardless...
  9. Aptone

Basic Dalhquist DQ-10 questions

I have had a pair of mirror imaged DQ10s for a little while but have not paid them much attention. Its their turn to get a fair audition, but here are some elementary questions that I have not found answers to by searching. What is the proper orientation of the speakers? Should the dome go on...
  10. Aptone

Off they go to Mr So

So I finally got aground to sending off some dome mids and tweets to get rebuilt, and here are a couple of lessons learned; If you try to be clever and build a custom wooden box to ship the drivers in, UPS will charge you an extra $12 for a "non-standard box". In other words, it is not...
  11. Aptone

Whole lotta tubes

Large lot of vacuum tubes on craigslist in VT. No affiliation: https://vermont.craigslist.org/ele/5801438983.html
  12. Aptone

Roasted SAE 2300

I bought an SAE 2300 amp and unfortunately it arrived with a problem. I guess the seller has no sense of smell, because they claimed to have plugged it in. I would appreciate any advice the experts can offer. Should I replace what is burnt, go for a full recap, use as a boat anchor, other...
  13. Aptone

DB Systems DB-6M Amps

What would a pair of vintage DB mono amps be worth today? I am not sure how old they are, am guessing one is 1980s. Serial numbers are very different. This amp is still offered for sale today for $2500 a pair: http://www.dbsystemsaudio.com/full.html Condition is excellent. Thanks
  14. Aptone

DBX 14/10 but no microphone

I found a DBX 14/10 equalizer/analyzer at a salvage place today and it appears to work, but there was no microphone. I was hoping to use a mic I have from a ADC Soundshaper 315 equalizer, but the 14/10 manual warns against using any other microphone as it may roast the power supply (the power...
  15. Aptone

New guy in Vermont

Hey, I'm a stereo geek from the 1980's when I started subscribing to Stereo Review in high school. Bought my first gear from Wisconsin Discount Stereo (Sansui AU-D7 integrated amp, Nikko Gamma 30 tuner, and Pioneer HPM-900 speakers) bought with money earned throwing hay bales at $3.50/hr...
Back
Top Bottom