Search results

1. txturbo

Harman Kardon Citation Receiver resto

I picked up a Harmon Kardon Citation Receiver from Audio Classics in NY late last year. It was complete and in good cosmetic condition with a minimal amount of wear but needed to be serviced. Apparently, it had been tucked away in the shop for years. It may be the one mentioned in this thread @...
  2. txturbo

G-9000 resurrection

I picked up a G-9000 that looked to be in nearly perfect cosmetic condition but was listed as non working from the the usual place. The unit was rust free and not a scratch that I could see, it even had the original hang tags on it. What's not to like? I tried to get the seller to...
  3. txturbo

G-22000, G-33000 and other big G lever switch repair

The plastic arm on all of the switches within this series has a point of weakness where it gets really thin. I ordered a switch that I thought had the correct arm and was going to just swap it over but no luck. Turns out the the switch is not common. So this is the solution. A 3D printed arm...
  4. txturbo

Anti-Backlash spring in gear at end of tuning cap, how to reset?

I can't believe that this has not been asked, or maybe it has and I can't find it. I am working on a Sansui G-22000 that had a broken tuning string (and a few other issues). In the process of replacement of the string I inadvertently pulled the pulley assembly including the shaft out of the end...
  5. txturbo

G-9700 Restoration

I am starting work on a G-9700 that looks to be all original. It's from a collection of a friend that is also an AK member, he has a stout collection of all of the high powered vintage goodies. I asked him if he had any "Extra" Sansui high powered receivers. He has a G-9700, G-8700, G971, G-9000...
  6. txturbo

What would you do with an unbuilt Heathkit AR-1515?

I was looking around Ebay and came across an AR-1515 that was still in the box and unassembled. I was thinking that maybe it would be neat to build one from scratch so I kept an eye on it, thinking it would sell for a few hundred bucks, I was off by 3X. So that got me thinking... what exactly...
  7. txturbo

Whats a nice rack worth?

Marantz Rack system including: 2130 Tuner 6370q Turntable 3650 preamp 300 DC amp 5030b cassette deck HD880 speakers Marantz rack
  8. txturbo

What kind of tool do I need for this slug?

I am trying to figure out what type of tool I need for this slug. It is used on a Revox B780. It looks like a fork of some kind. Any ideas?
  9. txturbo

Fire safety issue with workbench, be careful with your magnifier!

How's this for a safety hazard.. On Sunday my wife and I decide to take a ride in the Texas hill country and get out of the house for a bit. While we are out I get a call from my son who proceeds to tell me that he prevented the house from catching fire. How? I have a large window next to my...
  10. txturbo

Restoration of McIntosh MR-80 tuner

I picked up a MR-80 tuner from another AK member that was in need of a bit of help. I did not realize just how bad it was. I guess I needed something to do over the Thanksgiving break. Looks like an animal was living on top of it Powers on and the touch controls seem to work Serious buzz...
  11. txturbo

Proper thickness tape for faceplate glass and plastics

I have been looking for the proper thickness tape for installation of new glass on my MC-2155 amp. I was able to get a piece off in tact and it measures ~.030 thick. Normal 3M VHB tape comes in several thicknesses but it's either too thin at .025 or too thick at .040. 3M has another product...
  12. txturbo

Stuck knob removal procedure

I just started restoration of an MPI-4, will cover it in a separate thread. I came across a seemingly common problem, how to remove a stuck knob without damaging the unobtainium glass or knob? My MPI-4 had several stuck knobs. No matter how hard I tried I could not get them to pull off. I...
  13. txturbo

SCOTT 390R restoration

I picked up a Scott 390R a couple months ago. It was advertised as not working with the protection LED on. the faceplate was decent and the wood side panels were bad. I had been looking for a 390R to add to my collection because my dad had one when I was a kid. It's a rare beast, very few per...
  14. txturbo

MX-117 restoration

Just picked up my first McIntosh! I have been looking for an MX117 for a while and one finally became available near me so I decided to take a look. It was cosmetically in very decent condition the glass faceplate was basically perfect and the wood case was 7.5 out of 10. I did a quick demo of...
  15. txturbo

Sound Technology 1020A FM generator

I have been looking for this generator for a while and was fortunate enough to have the seller separate it from a huge lot of stuff. It was dirty but otherwise seems ok. I would like to find the correct Sound Technology matching transformers. There are two different types, a 50 to 300 and 50...
  16. txturbo

Restoring a Kenwood KR-9050

I picked up this unit in kind of rough shape. The seller said that he had some recent work done but soon after he got it back the left channel dropped out. It looked much better in the ad than in the flesh. I gave it a quick evaluation, powers up, one channel plays, tuner wiggles when I...
  17. txturbo

Transistor subs for amp section of KR-9050

I am working on rebuilding the amp section of a KR-9050. The receiver was previously worked on and came with a mis matched set of NTE transistors on the drivers and outputs. I have sourced enough of the original output transistors, 2SA1116 and 2SC2607. I contemplated using the MJ21194G for the...
  18. txturbo

500-C restoration issues

I am working on my first Fisher, a 500 C acquired from a very nice AK member. The receiver was all stock and came with a Metalbone kit and a cap board. All of the tubes are Fisher and test good on a B&K 707, for what it's worth. I built an IBBA board and installed it however I could not get...
  19. txturbo

SX-1280 Restoration

I got lucky and stumbled upon an SX-1280 this week. A contractor that was installing an air compressor at work noticed that we have several big receivers around the building. He said that he had one at home and was going to pitch it because it did not work. He was not even sure if he still had...
  20. txturbo

The fun of a 4400 restoration

I picked up a tired but untouched 4400 back in June and have been slowly restoring it as time permits. As it turns out the 4400 needs a lot of time to restore. The receiver was non functional, some of the fuses had been pulled out. The cosmetic condition was a bit dirty but had no really...
  21. txturbo

SX-3900... Pretty on the outside, hacked to hell under the cover

I picked up an SX-3900 on the big auction site that looked cosmetically decent but would not power on. I thought, how hard could it be to get it working? Plenty as it turns out. Upon opening it up I discovered that someone had been in it before. I am not talking about a basic repair, you know a...
  22. txturbo

Another SX-1250 saved from the scrap bin

A couple weeks ago I picked up an SX-1250 from a local fellow. Supposedly it ended up in a scrap heap at a donation center. The seller stated that it powered up and the tuning seemed to work but no sound. Being a sucker for a sad receiver and sick puppy it was soon on it's way home with me...
  23. txturbo

SX-1980 Faceplate recap

I have a receiver that has some battle scars in the faceplate. I have looked at options on how to deal with the problem. The SX-1980's face plate is an aluminum extrusion that is cut to length and then the holes are punched or machined. The lettering seems to be engraved and filled on the...
  24. txturbo

Loose tuner string on SX-1980, any easy way to tighten it up?

Any easy way to tighten up a loose tuner string without replacing it? The string is just a little bit too loose causing the dial pointer to flop froward and backwards a tiny bit when the dial is moved.
Back
Top Bottom