Search results

1. K

replacing ferrofluid -who's done it, was it difficult, was it worth it?

Looks like a tweeter on one of my Advent legacy has fluid marks coming from the tweeter. anyone replaced ferrofluid? how did you know it needed to be done? how did it go? was it worth it? can you ruin a tweeter rather that make it better? I understand that cleaning the old stuff out is the...
  2. K

Got Carried Away on Some Speaker Stands - This Summer's Photo Slideshow.

Very nice work. If you don't mind, from whom did you order the nutplates? I have a build in mind and those would work out great. thanks
  3. K

how to pick the correct foam surrounds?

Thank you for your thoughtful response and explanation of speaker movement. I'll follow up with your recommendation.
  4. K

how to pick the correct foam surrounds?

Hi all, I've read in multiple forums that all foam surrounds are not created equally. some are different and more specific for a certain speaker type. I am going to refoam a set of Advent Legacy II and want to get the most "correct" foam for them. previously I did a set of Advent Legacy with...
  5. K

first time speaker recap - advice please

Hi all, Going to try re-capping some advent prodigy II towers I got cheap. I refoamed them with the 30hz method but they sound muddy, noticeably worse than my Legacy, so I will see if new caps help. The circuit board is attached to the speaker wire terminal cup and there are 2 electrolytic...
  6. K

? re Advent prodigy II towers - muddy mids?

hi all, Picked up a cosmetically perfect pair of these off CL for $40 with original box, bags and paperwork. Refoamed woofers using 30 hz method - came out great with no VC rub. These speakers seem "power hungry" and have relatively muddy mids (not as clear or defined) with harsher treble...
  7. K

voice coil rub - is speaker ruined or canit be fixed?

thanks all - I do not own these - just looking. May save myself the headache by looking elsewhere.
  8. K

voice coil rub - is speaker ruined or canit be fixed?

Hi, looking at an old pair of advent speakers that were refoamed many years ago as per owner. One speaker has voice coil rub and was likely played this way. Is this speaker shot or can a new re-foam job done right fix it? thanks
  9. K

New vs Old speakers. The Quandary

Vintage and modern each have their own listener, equipment and environment specific pros and cons. Why not just have a set of each and an A/B switch and get the best of both worlds?
  10. K

? for Polk folks

thanks - looks like SDA are pretty popular. I read on another forum that polk woofers can sometimes fail/seize up due to magnet glue problems. Someone locally has Rt series for sale but i am leery due to this woofer failure issue. Any truth or experience with this? thanks
  11. K

Positive experience with SR-71 speakers thus far

Based on some prior internet reviews i did make the boxes a little bigger - they are 19.6 L based on my best calculations. Bass is very good - nothing lacking -just some tower speakers i've heard go a little deeper. Also just want to justify another build project!
  12. K

? for Polk folks

In your opinion what were/are the best Polk speakers for music? I know it's a broad question but interested in different aspects of opinion. thanks
  13. K

Positive experience with SR-71 speakers thus far

Earlier this year i built up a pair of SR-71 speakers from a kit and initially was a little skeptical about the "designer speaker" advantage. however after playing them for a couple months and changing the room location i have to say these things are better in some ways than my "vintage"...
  14. K

Yamaha rx A850 users - what do you/don't you like about this receiver?

Hi, Thinking of getting one of these to replace a very old Onkyo in my effort to up my HT system. basically we watch TV, DVD/blu ray and cable movies but also use it for music more than half of the time. Looking at a refurb from A4L so any experience with them would also be appreciated. thanks
  15. K

Looking for solid state repair person

Hi Hope i am not violating any rules with this post. I have a Denon DRA-297 stereo receiver that shuts down after about a minute and was wondering if anyone here can recommend a forum member or other person who repairs these kind of things. It is out of warranty. Moderators - please feel...
  16. K

Your 5 "desert island" albums?

Lots of really good stuff here - makes me either want to revise my own list or just start playing these albums on the computer while i work. keep 'em comin'
  17. K

mark/scratch on speaker cone - affect on sound?

Thanks sKiZo - just got a repair kit from rcobb so that glue should work - also have some Aleene's tacky glue too. When you say thinned down a bit - I guess thin it with water? and then a bit = 75% glue and 25 % water - sound good?
  18. K

you can have any gear you need to play the songs. It's either listen to music or draw faces on a volleyball.
  19. K

Appreciate the replies folks. What is speaker repair glue? do you have a brand name that you like and where do you get it - just in case.
  20. K

This photo shows a linear mark/scratch/indented area on an Advent 6.5" speaker cone. Will this have any negative affect on performance or sound? Does this speaker need to be re-coned? If so are there any recommended forum members who provide this service? thanks
  21. K

We play a game when travelling sometimes and that is "what would be the 5 albums you would want if you were trapped on a desert island?" I'll start 1. Waiting for Columbus - little feat 2. Disraeli Gears - Cream 3. Europe '72 - Grateful dead 4. Marshall Crenshaw - self titled 5.John Coltrane...
  22. K

Almost went down a bad road

The preamp was given to me to use in perpetuity however if I don't use it I feel obliged to return it. I have, however, decided to hold on to it and upgrade the HT system bit by bit as time and finances allow. I will use the Advent speakers from the basement with the new polk center, all up...
  23. K

Agree - I did order a new center channel speaker (polk something tx 150 maybe?) and have a couple old Advents in the basement that may work as front L and R. that leaves the 2 rear surrounds. Any thoughts about those?
  24. K

As indicated in the last sentence of previous post I would like to upgrade this 5.1 HT surround system using the preamp I've acquired - I just would like to keep the cost reasonable ( a few hundred dollars vs a few thousand) and a power amp for $300 is reasonable to me. wondered if you were...
  25. K

Do you know of a website that sells power amps in this price range? I will accept factory refurb. Accessories for less has nothing in this price range. Also I am concerned that should this preamp break I am stuck with the rest of the system - would have to buy another preamp and as you all...
Back
Top Bottom