Search results

1. Vinyl Rules!

MQA Declares Bankruptcy

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/high-res-music-tech-company-mqa-enters-administration-in-the-uk/#:~:text=High%2Dresolution%20music%20technology%20company,the%20US%20and%20other%20countries. The financials are eye-opening. Annual revenue never exceeded £700,000 while administrative...
  2. Vinyl Rules!

Is there any HD component tuner worth my time and money?

The embedded video states that web-based remote control is available on handheld devices so you can use your smartphone as a remote. As always, YMMV :cool:
  3. Vinyl Rules!

The less expensive Inovonics 655 sells for about $2,600. Still not cheap and you give up the fancy digital display and many other features of the $8,910 551 Radio.:cool:
  4. Vinyl Rules!

If you want a less expensive and better performing alternative to the McIntosh MR88, check out: This company also makes a better receiver than the famed Day Sequerra, and it has significantly more functions: https://www.inovonicsbroadcast.com/product/551. I believe the MR88 was a...
  5. Vinyl Rules!

Anyone Bi-Amping Tannoy Westminster GR’s?

I’m curious as to what improvements one gets if they bi-amp Westminster GR’s. Any comments from those with actual experience appreciated.
  6. Vinyl Rules!

Best indoor FM antenna?

IMHO the Stellar 4-element antenna is the best solution. If you want something better than rabbit ears, look for a used BIC Beam Box FM-10 antenna. https://swling.com/blog/2021/07/the-beam-box-model-fm-10/ You can find some on eBay.
  7. Vinyl Rules!

New Linn Organik DAC

Linn’s not released a separate Organik DAC yet. it’s only available as an upgrade to their Klimax streamers, which are pretty pricy. I was surprised there was no separate Organik DAC. Maybe there’re too expensive to manufacture? Linn’s not known for high sales volumes. :cool:
  8. Vinyl Rules!

MR 89 Tuner

I’m extremely disappointed it’s using a (presumably) cheap car radio chip for the IF section/Front End. The low S/N spec gives this away. I looked online and there are companies still making variable FM tuning capacitors. So why can’t the design wizards in Binghamton design a real update to...
  9. Vinyl Rules!

New Linn Organik DAC

Has anyone tried on of these? Thoughts/Opinions? :beatnik:
  10. Vinyl Rules!

Your Thoughts on Pass Amps With Heritage Speakers?

Am interested in hearing from people who have used Pass Labs Class A and/or Class AB amps to drive their Heritage speakers. I recognize that many of you will suggest a good tube amp, but I’m really a solid state user. I’ve read reviews of Pass amps that say they sound like tube amps...
  11. Vinyl Rules!

Can AVR DC Output at Preamp Outs be Increased?

whoaru99, you explained it perfectly, not poorly. :cool:
  12. Vinyl Rules!

spark1, you need to re-read what I wrote. ‘I said NOTHING about increasing output impedance. I’m still interested in learning if it’s feasible to increase the output voltage from the AVR’s preamp outputs. :cool:
  13. Vinyl Rules!

I I am guilty of poor wording. My AVR’s preamp outputs are rated to deliver 1.0V/1.2 kOhms. I was/am trying to find out is if it is possible to increase this 1.0V output to a higher output. :cool:
  14. Vinyl Rules!

Moderator, please delete thus empty space
  15. Vinyl Rules!

Semanon, thank you for your informative response. My intended outcome is to increase the dynamic range of the preamp’s output into an external power amp, not to pump more DC volts into an external power amp with either a 0.75v DC or 2.5v DC input sensitivity. I believe electronics with greater...
  16. Vinyl Rules!

Let me simplify. For example, the Audio Research SP3 preamp is rated for 25V RMS @ 1 kHz at all outputs (https://www.arcdb.ws/model/SP3). My AVR is rated for 1.0V RMS @ 1kHz at all PREAMP outputs. I wish to increase the PREAMP output of my AVR from 1.0V RMS to at least 10V RMS at all PREAMP...
  17. Vinyl Rules!

Can the DC voltage output at a typical Yamaha Aventage AVR be increased from its nominal 1.0V output to 10V or more output Volts? If so, would this be done by upgrading the DC voltage opamps in the preamp out section of opamps in the DC voltage section of the receiver. Or is there another way...
  18. Vinyl Rules!

What tuners do you have ?

Bluesound Node 2i (I would argue a streamer is a kind of tuner) Denon TU-767 Denon TU-800 (Maxed out & modded by Bill Amons) Hitachi FT-5500MKII Kenwood KT-5020 Kenwood KT-8007 Marantz ST-17U Marantz ST-54 Marantz 125 Marantz ST-500 McIntosh MR74 (Modded & updated by Terry DeWick) McIntosh MX117...
  19. Vinyl Rules!

A friend in need.

You did a wonderful thing for your friend. I am surprised you heard glare from his 2205. :cool:
  20. Vinyl Rules!

Hartley Horton - A speakers

If you’re really interested in 18” Hartley’s there’s a pair (not mine) for sale on eBay at https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hartley-speaker-18-Woofer-16-Ohms-Alnico/124688685407?hash=item1d0806595f:g:BmIAAOSwrVJgfgmo These would likely fix your “drool” issue! :banana::banana::banana:
  21. Vinyl Rules!

OK, loudnoises, I won’t leave you hanging. It’s not possible to show you an actual picture of my Holton A’s as they are currently covered by a tarp. We had a roof leak and I’m currently dealing with my H/O insurance to sort things out. :( ‘However, I have a brochure with an excellent picture of...
  22. Vinyl Rules!

Minimum Broadband Speed Necessary For Uninterrupted Qobuz and/or Tidal Listening?

Thank you for your feedback. - I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. To answer some questions from others: (1) I’m using only a hard-wired connection from my CenturyLink modem/router combo to my Bluesound Node 2i. The output of the Bluesound is hard-wired to an input on my preamp...
  23. Vinyl Rules!

Resurrecting a very old thread. The Hartley Holton A’s used the last version of the 10" Hartley speaker that was manufactured: It was the 220MSG. These rarely come up on ebay but when they do, they sell for very high prices: The last pair (drivers only) sold for over $2,000.00 There is still...
  24. Vinyl Rules!

Outdoor Antenna Performace Calcs

Good FM antennas are becoming more difficult to source, but Innovantennas (innovantennas.com) in England still makes some very good ones. Their website will convert £’s to $’s and if you’re in the US you don’t pay the tax. I believe this one is superb, and it’s about $335 plus shipping...
  25. Vinyl Rules!

Minimum Broadband Speed Necessary For Uninterrupted Qobuz and/or Tidal Listening?

I live in a sparsely populated rural area with only a few Internet providers. I currently have 25Mb DSL from CenturyLink (previously Sprint landline) and I subscribe to both Qobuz and Tidal. My actual DSL speed varies from about 18Mb up to 25Mb and this can vary during the day. My hardware...
Back
Top Bottom