Search results

1. K

Recapping Philips AG9018, need advices

Here are some photos : Inside : These 6 capactors are sharing the bump problem The bottom of the amp, everything looks clean and neat : But under one of the long metal capactor (50+50uf /500v) looks like this (sorry for poor image ) : A bump in in-between 2 pins
  2. K

I have taken some photos and looking for places to post atm . The Mullard mustard caps seem fine to me, and those who are having problem would be the one with metal long shell that hold by screw mounds.
  3. K

Hello, I have found a nice looking old Philips AG9018 amplifier. The overall looks nice and original (including the tubes) after cleaning. It sounds ok but I notice the capacitors inside are having a common problem : there is s small bump on the rubber side. I believe I should replace them ...
  4. K

Are Vinyl engine and Hifi engine both down ?

I have deleted the old cookies and files and waited for a month, yea, Hifi engine has returned . But Vinyl engine is till closed to me :( *sigh*
  5. K

No, I haven't log in. The error comes up when I just typed the website address and pressed enter. It has never happened before. I have tried on different computers, including my workplace, none of them could load the page. Sounds really strange 'cause that never happened to me in the pass years.
  6. K

Sorry for bumping up this post again. Seriously I still con't reach both websites and the error is still the same. Both of them take a while to load , and then it says "ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT" What is going on exactly? I have tried different computers including my workplace, my phone using...
  7. K

I have checked with the tester you guys offered. The site is working but I am still unable to reach the sites. Anyone know what could be wrong ? Norton Firewall? :eek:
  8. K

Since last week I can't reach Vinyl Engine and Hifi Engine . I am using google chrome and both of them says "took too long to respond." and the error code is ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT Anyone having the same problem here?
  9. K

Returning to vinyl, TT suggestion

Thank you all, I just won a TD-150 MK II from the auction site and bought a new Shure M75xE locally. The TT final price is slightly more than average but I think still worth it, Should I also get a new belt for just-in-case?
  10. K

I have seen quite number of Japanese TT in HK and selling in low price, but the condition inside is really questionable. TT makers are just like coffee and tea. I agree Jap had made many good TT since later 70s to the best in 80s. But I still prefer the sound from euro brands.
  11. K

I am in Hong Kong. I am not on budget but just feel disappointed with some new TT. If I have to ge a good quality one I might need to spend over 10k local dollar for just a TT! I miss my old thorens and thats why I prefer either getting an old Thorens. I won't go for a japanese model.
  12. K

My first and the only TT is Thorens TD150 MKII that bought in 60s. I gave it up because CD arrived and getting too popular in 90s. This year I have decided to return to vinyl becase I really wish to playback those records which have never or rarely issued on cd All I want is a simple, sounds...
  13. K

Any treatment to rubber surround ?

It sounds like silicone. I know a friend of mine has pure silicone grease for his diving equipment Would that help?
  14. K

I am living in a small flat, there is very limited space for speaker relocation. You can see the map here The Right speaker should be ok, but the left one is I mostly concerned. Each morning (around 8 to 10 am) has more sun light struck to the Left speaker . Not from the front directly but...
  15. K

The Bose is having really think rubber surround. Definitely I could feel it is rather weak when I touch it The second replacement was done after warranty expired. It was still done by Bose and charged me with a reasonable price. But the technician warned me that they didnot have the same rubber...
  16. K

Maybe my words unexpectedly sounds too harsh. English is not my mother language. I am very sorry if I had made anything unpleasant to you .:oops:
  17. K

I do understand "If its not broke.. don't fix it" this first rule of thumb, However in view of my Bose speaker has its rubber replaced twice over 10 years, I really wish something for preventive measure for my Autograph mini .
  18. K

Hi, I was thinking about to apply something to the rubber surround for protection. My speakers are Tannoy's Autograph mini and they sound really great. The rubber surround looks ok but I afraid it might get "dry" or oxidized later, especially when there is no original replacement from the...
  19. K

Old Western Electric speaker cables, any good?

I just upgraded my speaker cable, but someone (in Asia ) urge me to try the old Western Electric speaker cable. So I googled and found they are tinned copper wires wrapped in red cloth only, some blogs also claimed it would have much open and wide sound stage same as the modern cables. The...
  20. K

Demagnetizing track?

Hi all, my home has some water pipe work problems and so I am offline and removed my hifi system and kept for a few days without use. I decided to do a small experiment at the same time. I borrowed a Densen CD after I returned everything in correct position. Before the Demagnetizing track was...
  21. K

Demagnetizing track?

I really can't tell. There are quite a number of posts from google, some say yes and some are no. Almost 50% vs 50%. Is there any real science behind, seriously?
  22. K

Demagnetizing track?

I just visited a hifi demo and noted the staff used a CD to perform so called "Demagnetizing track" to do the demagnetizing. The CD is Densen and I checked it is not a cheap. The track seems something like a pure tone run across low to high frequencies within several minutes and that's it . What...
  23. K

Tannoy plan to close Scottish plant and move To China

Another interview from whathifi : http://www.whathifi.com/features/tannoy-after-90-years-what-does-future-hold ------------ B&W, KEF also keep their top-line speakers being made in their original place. Why Tannoy close the Scotland plan for just only 70 skilled workers?
  24. K

The Vintage High End Separates Thread

How about Luxman's valve pre amps and pwr amp. in 1970 ? CL 35 CL 35MK II CL 35 MK III MQ 36, MQ 60 M150 M1600 They aren't cheap back in 1970s and some models are still quite expensive for now. If combo is allowed, I would add these models: SQ 38 SQ 38D SQ 38F SQ 38FD SQ 38FD Mk2,
  25. K

Tannoy plan to close Scottish plant and move To China

I believe there must be some kind of relations. It seems to me that there are already too many hifi gears have shifted the production line to far east. It might be a good way to keep the product price low but they are leaking their techniques to other place.
Back
Top Bottom