Search results

1. bobschneider

Luxman L100 Fantastic!

Good choice. I restored an L-100 about a year ago. It’s been in my living room system ever since, driving restored AR 3a. It’s an excelent amp
  2. bobschneider

Low end Mac from newbie

Don’t worry about confusing Macintosh computers with McIntosh Labs audio. When Apple introduced the first Macs, they had a disclaimer printed on them saying something like “Not connected with McIntosh Labs of Binghamton New York”.
  3. bobschneider

AXPONA 2024 TICKETS NOW ON SALE

$4 million is what I was told. I just checked, and the speakers themselves are only $1.28 million. The rest must be the electronics, cables, racks etc
  4. bobschneider

AXPONA 2024 TICKETS NOW ON SALE

Anyone else hear the $4 million horn system in the Auralic room? It sounded really good for a concert sound system, but I think I’d need to add a 2000 sq ft addition to my house to have somewhere to set it up
  5. bobschneider

Malahit Dsp2 portable SDR Communications reciever

Mine is running v 2.30, but I see that there’s a new version available on their website.
  6. bobschneider

Malahit Dsp2 portable SDR Communications reciever

I have a Malahiteam DSP-2 I bought directly from the designers in Russia a couple of years ago (before Putin’s invasion of the Ukraine- I don’t think I could do that today under the sanctions). It’s an excellent radio - it’s what I use on my patio when the weather is nice. I’ve heard that a...
  7. bobschneider

Kensonic/Accuphase owners show your stuff.

First generation T-100 C-200 P-300 stack. These are all completely original, and still meet spec. I got the electronics a couple of years ago, but just got the wood cabinets for them recently.
  8. bobschneider

Barbie's Garrard 301

Looks like it would be perfect for listening to Pink Floyd
  9. bobschneider

Yen is low help me

Don’t forget that Japanese domestic gear runs on 100VAC, rather than the 120VAC used in North America. If what you buy doesn’t have a voltage switch on the back panel, you can buy a converter transformer there, or from Amazon once you get back. Don’t bother with tuners, though. Japan also...
  10. bobschneider

Audio Absurdity Award Goes To....

There’s an old saying “Any fool can make something for $100 which a great engineer could do for $5”
  11. bobschneider

Bad Chinese translations make the world go round

My favorite is when Pepsi tried to translate their slogan “Come Alive with the Pepsi Generation” in Taiwan. What they ended up with was “Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the grave”. For some reason it didn’t help their sales
  12. bobschneider

AR 3 vs AR 4x speakers

The Classic Speaker Pages website has a very comprehensive guide to restoring the AR 3a http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/original_models_1954-1974/original_models_schematicss/restoring_the_ar-3a/
  13. bobschneider

Hi, Jan. The attached files might be of some help. Sean (HalfApt) did share a 2002 service...

Hi, Jan. The attached files might be of some help. Sean (HalfApt) did share a 2002 service manual with me, but I can't seem to find a copy right now. I believe he's still on AK, and so may be able to respond. Good luck!
  14. bobschneider

RIP Terry DeWick

Rest in peace, Terry. I still have an MR-78 he sorted out for me about 15 years ago. Still works great
  15. bobschneider

Citation II capacitor sizing question

Be careful with Solens in a Cit II. They can’t take the heat in the chassis. I used some Solens in mine, probably in the same position as yours. After a few years they showed noticeable heat damage - the outer layer had shrunk significantly. I replaced them with the Panasonics McShane...
  16. bobschneider

Accuphase A-70 voltage conversion

Every piece of Accuphase gear I've worked on had a power transformer which could be switched to a different input voltage. But the most recent gear I've switched is a few years older than the A-70, so they may have changed since then. I can say that they've made switching harder over the...
  17. bobschneider

Onkyo T-9090II APR Operation

On my T-9090II, the APR light comes on when the button is pressed, and then goes off once it’s done adjusting the settings. So I think what you’re describing is normal behavoir
  18. bobschneider

Nakamichi System One

$100 was a heck of a deal for that, even in rough shape.
  19. bobschneider

What's wrong with 80s Marantz gear?

One thing you should know is that in the 1980s Marantz was actually two separate companies. In 1980 Philips bought the Marantz name and business outside North America, as a way to get into the high end audio market. However, Superscope retained the North American rights. Superscope’s...
  20. bobschneider

Best Vintage Preamp

A lot of issues with the TAE-8450 are caused by the early double sided PCBs in the unit. The two sides connect by short jumpers soldered on both sides. The solder will rot on those after 50 years, and cause all kinds of trouble. The solution is to desolder and resolder every one of those...
  21. bobschneider

Restoring a Harman Kardon Citation II help with tube bias. No rear meter!

Jim McShane also sells a wiring harness kit for the Cit II. Enough wire to rewire the entire amp, in all the original colors. You still have to build the harness yourself (same as if you were building the original kit in 1962), which is a lot of work, but it’s worth it. It really helps if you...
  22. bobschneider

Reputable, used Hi-Fi dealers?

Saturday Audio Exchange in Chicago (near Wrigley Field). They've been around over 40 years, and have a huge selection of used gear. They also ship. www.saturdayaudio.com
  23. bobschneider

SACD player advice

I used to use a DVD-3910 in my main, audio only, system as a CD/SACD player. I was happy with it, but of course got the upgrade bug. I still have the Denon in storage - I’ll have to get it out and hook it up again
  24. bobschneider

Oppo BDP-83 as transport to PC USB DAC?

Remember that Sony developed the SACD format, and also has a very large record business.
  25. bobschneider

Pioneer PL12 sound has no depth

Have you tried connecting the turntable to the amp without the extension cable? Turntables put out very low signals, and the extension cable may be causing the problems you describe
Back
Top Bottom