Search results

1. Brentsui

Altec 14 restoration has begun!

No shit! I just drove through Carthage the other day. The original speakers came from an auction outside of Rogers Arkansas ( The owner was a Boeing mechanic and had a stockpile of speakers and snap on tools. His family kept all the Mcintosh including some XR-22’s that were evidenced by the...
  2. Brentsui

Probably not at this time. I figured I’d offer them up for free if anyone is interested around the Southwest Missouri area- or can arrange some pony express.
  3. Brentsui

62caddy, Ive read through your thread a few times at least- it too helped me decide to pursue this undertaking! I’m thrilled to finally have these together since I haven’t quit kicking myself for passing on a set of 19’s for $850 a few years back.
  4. Brentsui

Got them all assembled today. Probably going to do some rearranging this evening and give them a listen! At least get a baseline before changing out the caps.
  5. Brentsui

Geeez- Billwojo, I sincerely wish someone would have let me know sooner about these warnings. I assume due to the age of model 14’s the warning labels have long since flaked off. Looks like I’ll be on the lookout for a crappy ss amp as all I’m using now is this mc2255. I guess at least it...
  6. Brentsui

Been a minute since I was able to get back on these due to the covid getting everything shook up- but I just completed a 15 hour round trip and have the set of replacement cabinets in my possession!!!!!!! More pics and details to follow.
  7. Brentsui

Just a quick update. While I have not accomplished anything meaningful in the restoration, I did receive new caps for the crossovers recently. Also, while I am reluctant to say too much, I will mention that I have sourced another set of complete cabinets in good shape that I’ll be picking up...
  8. Brentsui

Did Boston Acoustics ever use poly woofers in the A400's?

Just a FYI- I almost bought those exact speakers from that guy over Christmas vacation. The guy tried to raise the price on me after sensing some enthusiasm on my part. Not by much but because of his audacity, I told him to keep them. FWIW it appears they have been painted black.
  9. Brentsui

I placed an order with Bill at GPA for two new cone kits. I chose to not send them off since they are not Alcino magnets (and didn’t need recharged). It was a bit tedious getting everything aligned correctly but I took my time and they turned out awesome. I also want to mention that Bill was...
  10. Brentsui

Missing nut. Bashed in bottom removed. Found bent nut in the mouse toilet. Nut fixed! New partial board sizing. Existing surfaces cleaned with the new piece of walnut veneered particle board. Side view of the correct dual density, walnut veneered particle board.
  11. Brentsui

Here are some pictures right after I got them.
  12. Brentsui

Hello all, a couple months ago I picked up a set of these 14’s at an auction and have been purchasing the necessary parts to bring these back up to snuff. I’ve started this thread to document the restoration as well as ask some questions when needed along the way. Quick rundown on the...
  13. Brentsui

Lansing Haul

I did not take the boxes. We took my wife’s Crv to the auction and when we left it was so full of gear the back window wouldn’t shut. Actually ended up giving away a couple large pa speakers to someone there as there was no way to haul them.
  14. Brentsui

Lansing Haul

Not officially, but it did come from the same auction. My wife won it for $15 while I was loading everything. From what I heard at the auction- all this guys “good” gear was kept by his family. Found some empty XRT-22 boxes in an out building...
  15. Brentsui

Lansing Haul

Point well noted! Looks like I’ll be ordering one of those screwdrivers when I decide what to do with the jbl diaphragms. That makes sense for the 14 woofers. I’m thankful that Factory recones are available! As for the Mantarays, I’ve read the phase plug does come loose. Is this something...
  16. Brentsui

Lansing Haul

One is a radian, The other is a 2425. Based on my observations the former owner was very rough on his equipment/ gear. One of the reconed D130f’s has some voice coil rub and very low output before going into full distortion. The extra 2425 diaphragm I got is separated from the VC. From what...
  17. Brentsui

The "I Missed It by THAT MUCH" thread

I found this at 6am when it had been listed for only a couple hours. I was the second person to contact... and now I’m posting in this thread.
  18. Brentsui

Lansing Haul

Yes the thought has crossed my mind. I won’t rule out rebuilding the bass bin. Once I start the disassembly I’ll make that call. I did notice both woofers have Orange County Speaker stickers on the frame. However one is completely dead, the other passes a signal until the volume is increased...
  19. Brentsui

Lansing Haul

In my pre auction research on model 14’s I saw you mention yours fondly several times. This, in addition to other positive accounts, is why I decided (current condition be damned!) to ensure these get brought back to their former glory!
  20. Brentsui

Lansing Haul

Thank you for the info! Considering the potential value/ fragility of these I definitely don’t want to cause any damage winging it.
  21. Brentsui

Lansing Haul

Opened up the LE85’s tonight. Looks as if one has a 2425 and the other has a radian 1225. Both horns do function but I only ran a very low full range signal through them to check. I’m assuming the 2420’s were replaced with radians- and when at least one was blown a set of 2425’s were...
  22. Brentsui

Pet peeves when buying audio?

Sellers who then try to “help” load my newly purchased gear. Too many times they are all to willing to bump, drag, scoot, etc... piece of gear to and into my vehicle- even when I clearly state I will do it myself.
Back
Top Bottom