Search results

1. junkyardawg1

H/K ST-8 Rabco rebuild

I'm going to try that.... Great idea! I will start with the plastic hanger. Maybe a hot needle to make the holes... Or at least to start them.
  2. junkyardawg1

Please help the AK Database!

Sencore PR57 coming your way! I also have 4 large file boxes of prints. Need to go through them once I can get to them. I hope to have much more. How about old radio prints, not really hi-fi but... Maybe 8 track stuff? Hope to get to this stuff in the next few weeks.
  3. junkyardawg1

Best Value-For-Money in the Turntable World

Some I'm sure will disagree but for a budget TT, able to find under $150 bucks or sometimes for $100, I think these are a bargain. Low rumble, low noise, small enough to fit almost anywhere. With a good cartridge mine sounds pretty good. Using either a Technics P28E or the AT8008. Grado still...
  4. junkyardawg1

H/K ST-8 Rabco rebuild

A close-up shot pre assembly of the mod. If I can still find a bent or broken arm, I could make this one serviceable again as the hole is tiny.
  5. junkyardawg1

H/K ST-8 Rabco rebuild

The drawback to this is that I can't easily change cartridges by swapping the arm. I am in the process of locating another wand, if I have 2 or more it would be worth it to undo the mod and put the ADC on one arm and the AT8008 on the other. I did change the belts, lube the bearing, change the...
  6. junkyardawg1

H/K ST-8 Rabco rebuild

Well... Work will continue. In the meantime I did get the unit working again. I had to work some mod magic until I was able to get a wand. I have the wand and need to undo the mods. I might not though as it sounds great this way... I drilled a small hole in the arm. Ran silver wire from the head...
  7. junkyardawg1

H/K ST-8 Rabco rebuild

Status update... Thanks for the info on the arm for sale. I have just been working so much that I didn't get back to it yet. I will soon though, summer usually slows down a bit.
  8. junkyardawg1

QSC or Crown ?

Prefer the QSC I have used both. I like the QSC. I also own a bunch of the earlier PLX2402 amps. I have had them bridged to mono running a pair of EAW subs at 4 ohms, peaking just below the red for hours on end with no issues. What I really don't like are the GX amps. Don't bother. We used them...
  9. junkyardawg1

H/K ST-8 Rabco rebuild

1st roadblock A little history. I bought this TT about 7 or 8 years ago, listened to it for about a month, boxed it up and moved. It just came out of the box a few weeks ago. Just as dshoaf pointed out, the plug separated from the tonearm. The reason for that is that it was glued into the male...
  10. junkyardawg1

H/K ST-8 Rabco rebuild

NICE! It looks like we bought our cables from the same source. So far I have the service manual, the wire, and all 3 belts. On order I have the electrolytic caps, the pot, lamps, and a really great item that I heard about here that I believe LesE designed from shapeways for alignment.
  11. junkyardawg1

H/K ST-8 Rabco rebuild

It is stuck. I haven't figured out why yet. I'm shooting to re-wire the whole thing, arm to RCA. The arm slipped right out without hardly any resistance.
  12. junkyardawg1

H/K ST-8 Rabco rebuild

The board Here is a shot. I figured since I was in here already I would replace the two electrolytic caps on this board as well as the trimmer resistor. I want to be proactive in eliminating possible future issues. Increasing the longevity is one of my primary goals as well as getting rid of...
  13. junkyardawg1

H/K ST-8 Rabco rebuild

Airpot Here is a shot of the airpot that was pointed out to my by rread13 in another thread. The arm drops without damping. This is the reason. I am looking for a nice smooth slow decent. rread13 said he was able to repair it because these things are like gold. I will give that a shot before...
  14. junkyardawg1

H/K ST-8 Rabco rebuild

Top off Two screws visible with the platter off are the only ones that hold the entire top on. It took a little wiggling to get the top off. Now I can see one of the belts that drive the tonearm. It's in good shape, but I am replacing it anyway. There are foam pieces under the top attached to...
  15. junkyardawg1

H/K ST-8 Rabco rebuild

Nice! Found some goodies inside! Home depot in my area doesn't carry hardware this small. I can now mount a different cartridge that I have on hand. I didn't have any hardware and it's been a while since I dabbled in vinyl. I forgot how much I've missed it.
  16. junkyardawg1

H/K ST-8 Rabco rebuild

Tonearm I want to re-wire it. We shall see how THAT goes. 1 nut? holds it on.
  17. junkyardawg1

H/K ST-8 Rabco rebuild

Platter off 1 clip holds platter in place. The belt was a little sticky. It still worked but.....
  18. junkyardawg1

H/K ST-8 Rabco rebuild

I wanted to document my first ST series rebuild. I have rebuilt others but this is the first Rabco. This is my first thread. I like the group and want to contribute. Hope some of this info helps someone else. Also if anyone has any info on this TT, I would be grateful.
  19. junkyardawg1

H/K LT Cartridge Alignment Tool

Thank you for that. The arm damping doesn't work. I will keep an eye out for the airpot. The turntable plays now but the arm drops and it has a slight buzz. Not too much but more than I can live with. There is a Stanton 500 V3 on it now. I really don't care for the way the Stanton sounds plus...
  20. junkyardawg1

H/K LT Cartridge Alignment Tool

St-8 I ordered one in black. I'm grateful, thank you. Getting ready to do a total rebuild on the ST-8. I have rebuilt many turntables, reel to reels, beta decks etc but this will be my first H/K ST series. I bought some tonearm wire on Amazon here...
  21. junkyardawg1

What TT's do you folks have

I'm just about ready to rebuild a Harmon Kardon ST-8. I'm going to document the rebuild with PLENTY of pictures. The H/K Rabco ST-8 has an extensive procedure for setup in the service manual, quite a bit more than usual. I'm only waiting on the tonearm wires and the setup jig to be delivered...
Back
Top Bottom