Search results

1. The Reverend

does a "tube guy" need a fancy soldering station?

Hmmmm... your tips will last longer if you set to to 650 - 700F. Just saying! :music:
  2. The Reverend

I'm guessing you haven't used a Metcal... :drool:
  3. The Reverend

For anyone else considering a new iron, I would seriously consider the Hakko 936. I am an electrical engineer and chose it over the Weller (our mechanical engineers use the Wellers because they are philistines). It's half the price and works wonderfully. Also, it doesn't have the annoying...
  4. The Reverend

My old friend is back

I have been in the process of moving for the last couple of weeks. The first priority was setting up the stereo- I had to find the space and rearrange the furniture around it for a couple of days before I even did much else (besides unpack the bathroom supplies).
  5. The Reverend

Tell Every One About Your White Van Speaker Storys

Ponderbear, did you or didn't you buy the speakers?
  6. The Reverend

New apartment with old two pronged power outlets

You can, I just saw a bunch at ACE the other day.
  7. The Reverend

Another 12B4 Beginner's Build

Hello, I have a renewed interest in this project after digging up this thread! I was over at diyaudio.com and started to get the itch... Anyway, maybe I will acquire some parts over the summer. I haven't had much cash lately, but I have been working hard (right now- hardly working)...
  8. The Reverend

Let this be your lesson to keep the volume down...

I wonder what the guy was listening to... sheesh!
  9. The Reverend

Good point- I will take it up with her when I officially start my lease. What if she says no? What if she just puts two wire receptacles back on? No one will ever know unless something happens, right? The only three wire receptacle in the apartment that is properly wired is the one in the...
  10. The Reverend

Yeah, I am just going to leave it alone. I can't do much about it. I did look at one receptacle and there was nothing except for a black and a white wire.
  11. The Reverend

Yes, I used a metal screw for ground- the one that holds the outlet cover in place. I didn't unscrew a thing besides the cover and didn't detect any polarity issues. Thanks for your input!
  12. The Reverend

I looked at my 2-prong receptacles yesterday by screwing a cheater plug into the terminal screw and plugging in the outlet tester. It showed that I still had an open ground, so based on this I assume that there is no third conductor attached to the receptacle case. Is this a good assumption?
  13. The Reverend

Correct, the 3-prong outlets in the living room are also not grounded and there is no difference between them and using a cheater plug. I was feeling lazy so I bought a circuit tester (instead of using my DMM) and wasn't too surprised with the results.
  14. The Reverend

Alright, I made my measurements. There are no safety grounds in my apartment except for in the outlet my air conditioner is plugged into. I don't think I have much chance of getting the place upgraded, either. I opened up the "fuse box" and found what look like little tubes with very thick glass...
  15. The Reverend

New apartment speaker placement!

Sorry I haven't replied until now- I have no internet at home and wont until September! I set up the Pioneers in my smaller bedroom last night and they didn't cut it. The had no soundstage, no depth, lost warmth, no bass, but had good focus! The bass was the kicker for me. I mean, they did...
  16. The Reverend

New apartment speaker placement!

Continuing on the theme from my thread about old wiring, we come to the non-ideal listening space. I have two rooms: a small but very symmetrical room that is a perfect listening space and an asymmetrical living room that is much larger. I have two sets of speakers: horn loaded Pioneer CS-R700...
  17. The Reverend

I know I will be shot for this, but if the safety ground is so critical why is it that almost all vintage gear doesn't have it? None of my stuff except for my amp has it, and I have seen plenty of pictures of monster tube amps without them.
  18. The Reverend

Are you referring to the actual fuse box? It looks like it was designed in the 50's!
  19. The Reverend

An inspector would have fun with my apartment! It is a great location and the cheapest one bedroom in Davis, so it is worth it. There aren't even locks on a couple of the windows! I probably have about 5 power outlets in the whole apartment. It seems like modern buildings have them every four...
  20. The Reverend

Lease is already signed... oh well. I just want a single outlet. Two outlets are three pronged in the living room, but I have yet to see if they are even connected to ground.
  21. The Reverend

Alright, thanks for the input everyone! If the terminal is in fact grounded, it is as simple as tripping the breaker and sending an 8" wire to the ground terminal of a three prong outlet from the screw on the terminal box- a fairly simple task. I am not really sure what could go wrong here...
  22. The Reverend

Is the GFI safe for the stereo? I assume that if there was an issue it would just power down and that wouldn't be any different from any power down. Don't GFI's sometimes act a bit goofy?
  23. The Reverend

I guess my concern is because the case of my amp is metal. It would make perfect sense to do this if the terminal box is grounded, but that is yet to be confirmed.
  24. The Reverend

I guess a good quick and dirty test would be to check and see that there is no potential difference and infinite resistance between neutral and the screw.
  25. The Reverend

How about this- if there is already a line to ground and it is connected to the outlet box, I will replace the outlet. If there is no line to ground, I will call the landlord. It is a bit more complicated than this because I don't officially start my occupancy here until the first of September...
Back
Top Bottom