Search results

1. A

B&K Reference 200.7 blowing caps

Thanks so much for your astute observations and clever plan of action to replace the B&K's amp board bias pots with sealed units. I don't know why I never put 2 and 2 together before, what with all the stories and videos I've come across over the years detailing the danger of "dead spots" in...
  2. A

eBay transaction. I declined a return. What do you think?

Buyers have what eBay wants (money). Sellers only have stuff.
  3. A

trying to idiot-proof my MacMini music server setup

Hit the bay for a replacement or, just for fun, make an official Genius Bar appointment at your closest Apple Store. Say it's to deal with a "Mac mini problem" then reach in your pocket and pull out the remote, put it on the table, and watch the expression on blue/green/red tech's face...
  4. A

High-End AVRs for Stereo?

Still better off with your setup: a sweet Ref 50 and a quality outboard SS amp like your ATI (Outlaw).
  5. A

High-End AVRs for Stereo?

You still gotta be careful when driving lower than standard impedance speakers (i.e. less than 8 ohm nominal). Even good AVRs show stress (serious heat and x10 distortion specs) at 6 ohms on all channels and many entirely swear off 4 ohms on ANY channel. For those applications, a quality...
  6. A

Thoughts and opinion on ATI 1505- 5 Channel Power Amplifier

Figure used SS amps at $100/channel, more or less.
  7. A

B&K ST-1200 Amplifier

ST-1200: only listed power rating is 60W into 8 Ohm ST-1200 II: states explicitly "4 Ohms- Not recommended" (Page 16 in the Owner's Manual)
  8. A

Harman Kardon 3470 issue

You have a computer and likely a phone that can record or stream video. Using one or the other or both, document the problem thoroughly then arrange to send the video and supporting documentation to the tech when he is available. To the extent this impinges on your work schedule, you'll either...
  9. A

Harman Kardon 3470 issue

Should be a very straightforward diagnosis and fix. Simple unit, well-documented, and easy to work on. Suggest you keep looking for a local tech. Try asking around in pro music rental/sales stores as many of them sell vintage gear on the side and have techs either on staff or on call. Failing...
  10. A

Center channel question...

My experience (primarily with Denon units) is that the center channel in "all-channel stereo" is comprised of a DSP-generated signal of what is common between L and R channels BUT with a filter applied that won't pass most lower frequencies. All other L outputs are the same as are all the R...
  11. A

Monitor Audio Estate Sale Score

Monitor Audio Silver 10i Centre ($50 is decent price, depending on condition) Monitor Audio Gold Reference Centre (sometimes called GRC) ($50 is a steal for this wonderful speaker) Note the binding posts on the 10i use special factory shorting bars if you're not bi-amping/bi-wiring. The ones on...
  12. A

Denon x4500h AVR

Try AVS Forum. It's the go-to for all things HT, especially cutting edge gear like yours.
  13. A

Ebay bidding

Quick note: In my earlier messages, I was NOT in any way suggesting moving transactions off-eBay for completion elsewhere. For the reasons stated above (among others), I consider that eBay is both worth the additional cost and rightly due its due. CL has its niche (as does Barter Town, I...
  14. A

Ebay bidding

On late-model receiver/pre-pro units, avoid (like the plague) seller reports of DSP, HDMI, and/or ethernet problems. The associated circuitry is most often highly integrated, customized, and co-located on a single main "digital" board which cannot be repaired or replaced (except by purchase of a...
  15. A

Ebay bidding

One more thing a lot of disappointed would-be buyers forget on items "lost" to a higher bidder. Be sure to message the seller after the auction to tell them you're still interested in the item, so if for any reason the sale doesn't go through (many don't), please contact you to discuss a quick...
  16. A

Ebay bidding

I wasn't clear in my meaning. The perfect time to manually snipe a bid is at the last possible second. Problem is, if you wait until there's only 1 second left, then try to get your bid in and confirm it, you'll have missed the boat, the auction will be over, and your bid will never have been...
  17. A

Ebay bidding

IME, a manual snipe at 10 secs is a decent compromise between giving competitive bidders a chance to react and manually outbid you (as opposed to sniping their own final bid) and missing the boat entirely due to system delays processing your bid. With only 5 seconds left, I've gotten caught...
  18. A

Ebay bidding

1. Set up searches for gear you're interested in acquiring, save them for eBay to execute periodically and automatically notify you by email when your "chosen" items are listed. 2. Message the seller (Contact seller, Other) expressing sincere interest in the item and politely requesting more...
  19. A

Amplifier Tech needed

Yeah, I kind of figured the OP would have a similar experience to yours. Notwithstanding the unquestionable value of the hard-won advice of old pros, there's nothing like personal experience to hammer the point home to a novice.
  20. A

Amplifier Tech needed

You've got yours crossed...
  21. A

Amplifier Tech needed

Have you tried Pyramid Audio in Austin? I've heard they're supposed to be pretty good. Good luck.
  22. A

MAC to DAC connectivity question

I believe jitter levels and other performance metrics vary depending on which model Express is used. There's some decent data on this readily found online, though it's quality and repeatability is unknown.
  23. A

MAC to DAC connectivity question

Can also use a fairly cheap Apple TV 3rd Generation (A1427 or A1469, thinnish square black pucks) which will accept music data over WiFi or Ethernet and output digital via HDMI or Toslink 3.5mm (or DAC the data out stereo 3.5mm). One wrinkle is the ATV retimes/reframes 16bit/44.1kHz music to...
  24. A

Schiit Introduces New Modi 3. $99

Perhaps you can rig up a null test to see (hear) just what you've got there.
  25. A

Chromecast Audio discontinued

5,787 of the little buggers sold through the Google Store on eBay. Dunno if that's just for this latest tranche or since the beginning of time.
Back
Top Bottom