Search results

1. RayW

Cheap, easy diffusion panels

When we changed forum software the photo links took a hit. They will have to be reposted by the author(s).
  2. RayW

What does it take to build 3 way speakers?

What efzauner said pretty much nails it. Car subs aren't going to go up where you will want them to play in a design like that. You will also most likely be looking at a large sensitivity gap between subs and mid/tweeters. The only way this might work well is to design a 2-way that will get...
  3. RayW

A mouse chewed through my voice coil leads

Happened to me a few years ago. I just replaced both leads and went on with life. Be careful when you're disconnecting/reconnecting under the dustcap, the coil wire is pretty fragile and a lot of speaker makers pot that junction in adhesive to keep it safe(ish).
  4. RayW

Why drivers die

I had a speaker that died in storage. Upon investigation I found that a mouse (or mice) had taken up residence at some point and had eaten through the tinsel leads for the driver. I replaced them and it worked fine. Have you checked the individual drivers? If you pulled the drivers and...
  5. RayW

Questions regarding diy speaker

I like swiss cheese. :thumbsup: Sounds like a good plan to me. And I'll second the request for pics and build journal.
  6. RayW

Yeah, that's what I meant by the inherent bracing of separate enclosures. Pete said it better.
  7. RayW

:rflmao: Deafening silence, eh? First of all, great choice of drivers! I remember when those started as Lambda drivers and rocked the DIY world. Great stuff. You can certainly put the drivers in one enclosure. There are pros and cons either way. With both drivers in one space you will...
  8. RayW

Thinking about making my own

Congratulations on joining the ravening hordes in the DIY speaker world! Your second clause above is a bit of a crossroads though and which way you go depends on your end goal. If you don't understand the numbers and don't really want to, then building a kit or copying an existing design is...
  9. RayW

Great "Every Day Carry" knives

You squeeze the lock button and use a knurled bit on the backside of the blade to bring it out. Although with no spring, you can just push the locking button and flick your wrist and it will open pretty easily. I've had a Tekna Micro Knife for ages. Is that the sheath retracting one you...
  10. RayW

Great "Every Day Carry" knives

I've been looking for one of these since they came out and I was a poor college student and couldn't afford a decent knife. Finally caught up with one on ebay and snatched it up. I really like it for EDC. It's a Tekna Hidden Edge from the early 90's. Super light, locks open and closed, and...
  11. RayW

Bicycle Restorations, Builds and ...

Nice work, Phil!
  12. RayW

Please recommend small bookshelf speakers that sound best for cymbals

Yes, they can. The implementation of the material is more important than the material itself. There are wonderful soft domes out there (if you ever get the chance, check out the Hiquphon OW1). There are fantastic metal domes. There are also crappy examples of both.
  13. RayW

upgrade drivers

No, it doesn't work like that. Generally a design is engineered to meet a price point and be the best it can at that price. If a design is ripe for driver upgrades then it's because the drivers were chosen to meet that price criteria set beforehand. I once designed a crossover for a 2-way...
  14. RayW

Seeing the picture, I remember the funky rear triangle. Great for mud clearance, not so great when a 200lb gorilla like me grinds on a hill climb and flexes it.
  15. RayW

I remember Alpinestars mtbs back in the 90's when I was racing. I should say I remember the brand but not any real particulars about it. I remember them having a good rep back then but that's about it. It wasn't what I had and wasn't what I really lusted after so it wasn't all that bright on...
  16. RayW

L Pad Purpose

A zobel network is a resistor and capacitor in series that are put in parallel with a driver to neutralize the inductive rise of the voice coil. It makes crossover design easier because you're dealing with a basically flat impedance around the crossover frequency.
  17. RayW

L Pad Purpose

Think of it as an impedance compensated volume control. You can put one before a driver and control the volume of that driver without appreciably affecting the functionality of the crossover. In your case it would allow you to adjust the volume of the midrange horn relative to the other drivers.
  18. RayW

Scratch the Ultimax...now I need advice.

With panels that big you're going to want cross bracing or the sides will act like big drum heads.
  19. RayW

New House, New Speakers - Design Help

You can add a resistor to the woofer(s) to make the impedance what you want but you're changing the parameters of the driver (more correctly the driver/resistor combo) by doing it and you're wasting power. Going with 2 8Ω speakers in parallel and then putting a 4Ω resistor in to bring the...
  20. RayW

New House, New Speakers - Design Help

The RS270 is a killer driver. My mains are RS270 + RS52A (dome) mid + Hiquphon OW1 tweeter. Ask any of the old guard around here about the Big Bobs. A lot of folks have heard them.
  21. RayW

High End Speaker Kits?

I was at an audio gathering a few years back when Don Keele originally presented those things. That was well before they became a kit at PE so the drivers have probably been changed but if Don K was still involved with the project, and I think he was, then they would be good drivers. Anyway...
  22. RayW

Are you going to put the freezer on the top or bottom? ;) On the bracing, I usually use strips of whatever I'm building the boxes of to make pieces roughly 2"x2" and a hair longer than the box is wide (or deep or whatever). That way when you put them in it puts the opposing sides under...
  23. RayW

I built a pair of subs for my church using 18's (Eminence Definimax 18) and stuffed them in 6ish ft^3 boxes with 3.75" ports. The boxes are 22" cubes and the ports fit fine. The sanctuary they're in seats about 350 and 2 of these things will rattle your spleen when the bass player gets jiggy...
  24. RayW

It kind of depends on what you want to do...and what you're willing to do. The 13ft^3 box is the optimally flat design. That means it's keeping the output flat as low as possible. You'll be good down to a little over 20Hz and the output will drop like a rock below that. That, however, is one...
Back
Top Bottom