Search results

1. F

Anyone using a crown xls amp with their psb stratus goldi's?

I'm currently using an emotiva basx a-300 (150 wpc) with my goldi's, and I feel they need more power. I've been looking at the crown xls 1502 or higher models. Any reason to look elsewhere in this price range? I've heard good things about the buckeye amps hypex 2 channel amp for a little more...
  2. F

Sharp RP-1288 worth a drive?

Looks like a decent table, but I can't find much info on it at all. I know sharp isn't highly regarded, but they had the optonica brand which was their attempt to compete with the higher end, and they were pretty good. I had an optonica rp-4705 which I rehabbed and gave to my daughter, and that...
  3. F

Cleaning din tonearm cable connector

I have a recently acquired Kenwood kd-550 that had a channel imbalance. After troubleshooting I've tracked it to the din connector that plugs into the bottom of the turntable. By wiggling it I was able to restore proper channel balance. Is the best way to clean this connector with deoxit? Spray...
  4. F

What's wrong with my Yamaha yp-d6?

I listened to an album,it got done,the arm started to return,and the arm went partway through returning and set back down in the middle of the album. Lifted the arm and put it in the runout and it wouldn't auto return. Return arm to rest and notice the platter is still turning and there is a...
  5. F

Help with cv d9 tweeters

Hello, I have a pair of d9's which have the ubiquitous blown horn tweeters. They get no reading on an ohmeter. I also have a pair of d2's with working tweeters. I have read that these are the same tweeters with the exception of the bigger magnet on the d9. As it is next to impossible to find a...
  6. F

Amp recommendations for psb stratus goldi's

I recently picked up a great pair of goldi's for a great price. I'm currently driving them with an emotiva basx a300. They sound great when I crank it up, but at lower volumes they seem to lack a little. I've read on here that they really like high current power. Is there a good 200-250 wpc high...
  7. F

Any experience with emotiva pt-100 photo section?

I've currently got an onkyo p-3160 preamp that I am pretty happy with, phono section seems surprisingly decent. Turntable is a yamaha yp-d6 with nagaoka mp200 cart. I have the emotiva a-300 powering psb stratus goldi speakers. Anyone have any experience with the emotiva pt-100 phono section? I...
  8. F

How can i soften stiff wharfedale cloth surrounds

Picked up a pair of w60's. Really like their sound, but the woofers seem a little stiff and slow. When i changed caps i noticed the surrounds, which are cloth, are very stiff, to the point of sounding crinkly when pushing them in and out. Is there a material i can apply to the surrounds to...
  9. F

wharfedale w60 cap question

Checking out a pair of w60's a friend would sell. I like the way they sound but it's pretty obvious they would benefit from a cap upgrade. These are an early model, 2 way with what appears to be an electrolytic 12 mfd cap instead of the paper in oil ive read about. Would it hurt to use pio...
  10. F

Flabby, uncontrolled bass. Preamp tubes?

I've got a Shuguang I-25 el34 amp. Was loving the sound with jj kt77 power tubes and stock 12ax7 and rca clear top 12au7 preamp tubes. Lately I've noticed the bass is less controlled and sloppy. Could preamp tubes be the culprit?
  11. F

Would over voltage to my house cause lower volume

We've been noticing lower volumes with all our systems in our house along with light bulbs blowing. Checked the voltage at a couple of our outlets and it was at 140. Google search shows a bad transformer may be responsible. Any one else ever experience this? Gonna call the utility in the morning.
  12. F

Pinnacle pn8's

Finally got around to replacing the surrounds on the mids and regluing the dust caps on these. Previous owner did the surrounds on the woofers and didn't get the dust caps back on securely. Used surrounds for marantz imperial 7 mids, seemed to be a good fit, maybe a little shy on overall width...
  13. F

tube rolling recommendations

Ok, so I've got a shuguang i-25 el34 based amp. I've swapped the original power tubes for jj kt77's. That gave me a little more of the low end boost I'd read it might. Sounds really good. Now I'm looking to add to that with preamp/driver tube upgrades. I'd like a little more airiness/presence...
  14. F

Am I doing this right?

I've got a shuguang I-25 tube amp that only has one pair of inputs, so I'm using an onkyo preamp with it. My question is if I'm correct in running the volume at 100% on the tube amp and using the volume control on the preamp to control the overall volume? This won't damage the tube amp, will it...
  15. F

Any idea what these are?

On my local cl. Look like they could be homebrews, but those almost look like altec cabinets.
  16. F

JVC QL-F4 blowing fuses

My father has a jvc ql-f4 tt that has been blowing fuses. I'm gonna go over later this week and take a look at it with him. What should I look for? I'll take some deoxit with me, but are there transistors or resistors that could go bad on these and cause these problems? From what I've found it's...
  17. F

Dual 1249 advice

Got a Dual 1249 today basically as a throw in to a deal on a pair of speakers from CL. Looks to be in good shape, nice base, etc. Sounds pretty good with the Stanton 681eee cart. Probably get a new stylus for it. The bad: the cue lever doesn't work. No resistance when moved. The auto function...
  18. F

Proper way to run passive pre with tube amp

I've got a tc-754 phono pre with volume control that I run with my newly acquired Shuguang tube amp. When I played in bands we would run the power amps full and control volume through the mixer. Does this method apply to my new setup? I'm kinda nervous about running the tube amp on ten and...
  19. F

Upgrade cartridge or new tt?

I've got a Pioneer PL-112d tt with at 3600 cartridge. I know that's an entry level cart, but the tt isn't exactly totl either. Would I be wasting my money to upgrade to an AT92 or Ortofon OM5 or equivalent? Or should I put that toward a better tt? I've been looking at the Music Hall 2.2...
  20. F

Any experience with TC770lc or TC754?

I'm looking for a phono pre for my I-25 tube amp. With only one set of inputs, the added inputs of the TC products would be a plus. I've heard and read good things about the tc750. Are these two comparable? Thanks, Scott
  21. F

Shuguang I-25 on the way!

After much deliberation, I've decided on the i25 as my introduction into tube audio. When unit arrives and I have given it a good listen, I will report back with my impressions (and I'm hoping to be impressed). Scott
  22. F

1st tube amp suggestions

I've been wanting to get into tube gear for a while now, but auditioning options in my area are limited (nw illinois). I've been looking at some of the chinese offerings (Musical Paradise, Yaqin, etc.) as a cheap way to dip my toe in the tube waters. Used vintage is limited around here. Any...
  23. F

Emotiva Mini-x vs. Dayton DTA-150

Looking to clear desktop space for the computer rig. Currently using 50 watt vintage Sansui receiver driving Infinity sub/satellite speakers. My wife likes to crank it up while she cleans house. In the future I will add a dac. I like the size and build of the Emotiva, but am concerned about...
  24. F

Help with Yamaha RX-770

Just picked up Yamaha rx-770 off craigslist. Fairly clean, price was right. In Pure Direct mode it sounds as it should. Take it out of PD and it is low volume, distorted. I know the PD mode bypasses tone and balance controls, so I tried cleaning these along with the PD switch itself, to no...
  25. F

Pinnacle pn-6 refoam

Picked up a pair of Pinnacle pn-6's that need a refoam. Cone diameter is 4.25" . Anyone know of a source for these? The generics I've seen all specify cone diameter of 4 5/8 to 4 3/4" and inner measurement of foam at 4.25". I'm guessing these would be a stretch (literally). I can find any info...
Back
Top Bottom