Search results

1. hurricanestv

8v bi-pin red or white LEDs for stereo indicator?

Long time since I've been around here: I rebuilt my father's 2215 and 2440 for my personal use with help from this forum 11 years ago. They are still humming along (used daily in my office), but all the lamps died since rebuild. I replaced the fuse style with LEDs (went COOL BLUE, so not...
  2. hurricanestv

Marantz 250 Large Capacitors

if the copper plate is the same size as the one in my 1200 (which it appears to be), then the caps are closer together than the 1200. that would make the epcos even easier to fit (they are screw terminal and require no modification). just need something to shim inside the clamps (as i said, i...
  3. hurricanestv

Marantz 250 Large Capacitors

these work (i used them in my 1200): http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/B41560A8229M/495-4239-ND/2269448 For my 1200 (not sure if the layout is the same in a 250 or not, but i bet its very similar): they are slightly smaller in diameter than the originals, and maybe a tad taller. I...
  4. hurricanestv

Restore Model 1200 (newbie)

i only replaced electrolytic caps, since they are far more likely to be at the end of their lives than film caps. if you do some searching here on AK, you can probably find some advice about whether it is worth replacing the film caps, and what brand/type to replace with. not something I...
  5. hurricanestv

oh yes, all of the electrolytic caps were replaced. I'm staying waaaaay outta the fray on the "what brand of capacitors should you use" argument. i used epcos (digikey pn 495-4239-ND) for the power supply caps and panasonic FC's everywhere else. all the original caps are axial leads, so it...
  6. hurricanestv

LEDs - online calculator?!?

nice find! this one is a little more flexible since you can specify the exact number of LED's (instead of the dropdown choices), but it chooses series/parallel for you, so less flexible on that front: http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
  7. hurricanestv

spend some time browsing the forum. I probably read hundreds of posts before tackling my first repair job. And i started with some low power, low $$ units first to get my feet wet. You say yours is working, so the ONLY thing you should probably do to start is recap. Once you've got that...
  8. hurricanestv

Before recapping, mine would take about that long (3-5 second range) to fill the caps, but then there would be a slight buzzing which grew louder until the click. I would say that time was somewhere in the neighborhood of 3/4 to a full second. Now, after 3-5 seconds (I really ought to time that...
  9. hurricanestv

what symptoms did the 1200's have that pointed to needing new relay driver transistors? did the relay just not engage? my 1200 got a full recap and the relay engages like a champ (it was sloooooooooow to engage before recapping), but I want to be on the lookout for future issues.
  10. hurricanestv

Recapping 2220b

2440 FRONT OUTPUT to 2220b TAPE IN 2440 MATRIX INPUT to 2220b TAPE OUT push TAPE MONITOR button in on the 2220b and set the volume pretty high (my 2215 volume is up around 75-80%, you may need to adjust a bit to get correct balance).
  11. hurricanestv

Dont trust myself tearing too much further into my 2215B...

well, deoxit the controls first. post a few pictures of the guts of the thing here, and people should chime in with next steps for cleaning depending on the level of dust/dirt/grime you are dealing with.
  12. hurricanestv

Marantz 2440 Recap Thread

a 2200uf in parallel with a 3000uf: 5200uf cap. so two 5200uf equivalent capacitance "sets"
  13. hurricanestv

Marantz 1200 pilot lamp

preface, i'm not an EE or a tech. the 757 is rated at 28V and .08 amps. i get 350ohms for the filament resistance. this is verified here: http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/757.html so, in our circuit, 48V supply going through a 220 ohm resistor and a 757 bulb, we get 18.5V at the...
  14. hurricanestv

I just looked at the parts unit and it looks exactly like yours. My initial suspicion was that it was some kind of "hot rod" upgrade that a local shop did, but my father swears it came out of the sealed Marantz box like you see it (except those two non-Marantz feet, which I was test fitting...
  15. hurricanestv

Marantz 1200 pilot lamp

It's a good question...when I went looking for bulb information here and elsewhere, I got a lot of recommendations for bulb types, including suggestions that ALL marantz bulbs should be 6V. The service manual does not list the part number for the bulb, but 6V is obviously wrong. I bet the 28V...
  16. hurricanestv

Marantz 1200 pilot lamp

Volts DC
  17. hurricanestv

Marantz 1200 pilot lamp

I'd say you ran a lot of current through the resistor on the relay board. In the attached picture, you can see the position of the resistor in question because the previous owner put four 1W resistors in series/parallel configuration to replace the original (5W is original). I assume he burned...
  18. hurricanestv

ser no 6851 has the two extra caps ser no 2827 does not (this is my parts unit) i have the service manual from Rick at StereoManuals.com. It has two service bulletins, neither are regarding these two extra caps. Nothing in the schematics or parts lists show these two either. I really want to...
  19. hurricanestv

Realistic STA-225

got it thrown in with a set of RS Nova 8b's. Guy offered to throw in a Realistic tape deck and turntable, but I had no interest. Took the STA-225 on a whim, not knowing a thing about it. Case joints were loose, couple of gouges, wood was DRRRRRYYY. Controls were very noisy. Couple of bulbs...
  20. hurricanestv

Marantz 1200 pilot lamp

yup, bayonet ba9s. here are two LED options i ran across. https://www.jkllamps.com/files/TELEPHONE%20BAYONET%20T-2%201_21.pdf http://www.ledtronics.com/products/ProductsDetails.aspx?WP=C307K1076
  21. hurricanestv

here's what appears to be a factory update sometime in the 2440's production life....see the two caps at the bottom (2200uf, 50V) This one was built in 1973...I have a parts unit that was built in 1972 that does not have this change. Even though I can find no service bulletin/service manual...
  22. hurricanestv

Marantz 1200 pilot lamp

this explains the relay board trouble i had with a badly repaired resistor, lifted traces and general rough appearance of that board. With the stock resistor on the relay board, you get 48V to that bulb. I'd bet someone put a #47 or some lower voltage bulb in mine and cooked the board. I...
  23. hurricanestv

RS Nova 8b

My L88's are Nova's. Dad bought them new, I grew up listening to them. He gave 'em to me a couple years ago and I just replaced like for like in the crossovers. Still makes me nostalgic looking at and listening to them.
  24. hurricanestv

RS Nova 8b

Whoa just found that thread, impressive, thanks...I'll price out the components for that redesign. Don't feel like putting a bunch of money into them, but you're right, the caps probably could use a refresh. the brown plastic has a faux woodgrain molded into it which the chrome paint can't...
  25. hurricanestv

RS Nova 8b

covered in dust, but dirt cheap. they weigh a flippin' ton. had been looking for something to run off the Marantz 2440 (had a set of sony bookshelfs waiting to be replaced by something from the 1970's). got them home, took off the grills, saw the drivers were all perfect. foam was perfect...
Back
Top Bottom