Search results

1. Mr Owl

Spring Peekskill, NY, Blue Mtn. Lodge Meet 2024. Saturday June 15th!

I moved to NC or I'd still come. I enjoyed these.
  2. Mr Owl

Hey Fluance owners

RT85 here. Bought it in 2023 to replace a vintage Denon 59L. A very worthy replacement. With the Ortofon blue, gorgeous acrylic platter, and auto stop it is an awful lot of turntable for the $$.
  3. Mr Owl

What tickets are in your pocket? (What's the next concert you are headed to?)

Iron Maiden In Greensboro NC next Tuesday!
  4. Mr Owl

Would you be as enthusiastic about the audio hobby if streaming disappeared?

To answer the original question, Streaming is ridiculously awesome, and it's enhanced an already great hobby. I embraced it right away (heck I was downloading on Napster when it came out. Sorry Lars - I was one of those guys. I do have all your stuff on Vinyl). I'm 56 and while I may not do a...
  5. Mr Owl

Would you be as enthusiastic about the audio hobby if streaming disappeared?

And here's The Who with "Won't Get Fooled Again". Again and again and again. It wouldn't be so bad if they played some deeper cuts from these bands, but they never do.
  6. Mr Owl

Yamaha A-S801 Phono Preamp - Use External?

I have the same Yamaha A-S801 / Chora 826 setup as you. I also have a cambridge phono preamp that was about $200 a few years ago. I had bought it for a pre that didn't have a phono stage (that I've since sold), and I kept the phono pre as I felt it handy to have. I've tried it on the Yamaha, and...
  7. Mr Owl

What is it with ADS speakers that some folks are so high on?

For restored 1590's that look great, that's probably your top end price. It depends why you want them. If you are an ADS / vintage guy, and really, really want those big beautiful towers in their restored glory, and nothing else will do, it's a fair price. But for pure sound... eh... maybe...
  8. Mr Owl

Vintage over Modern Gear

I love the look of Vintage gear, especially the 70/80's SS stuff w/ big meters. I have a restored Marantz 3800 and 300DC, but if I'm being totally honest, I think my Yamaha As801 sounds as good, if not a bit better, especially on digital music. And my modern speakers (Focal Chora 826) completely...
  9. Mr Owl

Time to go speaker shopping!

Give me Focal Chora 826 at that budget. That's what I did after extensive listening, and am super pleased with them.
  10. Mr Owl

Damn! Mick Jagger having a beer last night in a dive bar down the street from me.

Well, with normal clothes and the hat, it's kind of a "hey, that guy looks a little like Mick Jagger", but probably not to a "let's bug him" degree.
  11. Mr Owl

What does good sound like?

Yup. A few in this thread have mentioned the instrument/voice separation, and that's the direction I tend to follow. Hearing new / more defined stuff in old recordings is wonderful. To give a good example, I was listening to Gold Dust Woman through my new speakers, and for the first time (for...
  12. Mr Owl

Denon POA 1500 Amp Good or Just OK?

Nice amp - I used to have one, and it's one I regret selling. If it were fully restored (not just cleaned/serviced, but a full restoration) and looked the part too, it would be worth what they are asking. Unrestored but working ok, with some bumps and bruises... $300? $350?
  13. Mr Owl

Speaker Recommendation for a Wide, Shallow Room

Just an update to this - I did indeed go with the Focal Chora 826, and I am very, very pleased with them. Their sound is incredibly wide / deep, and they don't seem to be particularly fussy (I'll be moving that one cabinet next to the left speaker a bit further down so there's a little space to...
  14. Mr Owl

My Mind is Blown...Or Maybe I'm Just Crazy?

I prefer flower, but yes, it definitely enhances listening.
  15. Mr Owl

Funny you mention this - some searching led to the Chora 826. Checks an awful lot of boxes - wide dispersion, front ported, looks nice, towers (I like towers), solid price, etc.
  16. Mr Owl

Stairway comes up from the side, and cuts into the 12'. Definitely will not work (trust me, I thought of this, and am decent at the square peg / round hole thing).
  17. Mr Owl

heh, yea :) Yup, I agree, but not going to work. One end = stairs up, other = bathroom.
  18. Mr Owl

Hey all, I moved (to NC) and thus, have changed my audio room. In fact, we have space for a "library", so I finally convinced the wife to have a nice listening area there. So I have my Martin Logan Motion 40's (which I really like) there, along with a Yamaha A-S801, and my prettier of my two...
  19. Mr Owl

North Carolina anyone?

I just moved to Clayton from upstate NY. And indeed, learning as I go!
  20. Mr Owl

What advice would you give a newbie starting out in Audio?

Don't be afraid to spend $$ that's a little out of your comfort zone to get something nice. It makes little sense to go through $400 component after $400 component and not be satisfied with any of them, when one $1500 purchase would have done the trick.
  21. Mr Owl

Martin Logan owners sound off!

Kind of late in replying, but I own a pair of Motion 40's (not the i version, which is the later model). They are fantastic speakers, and kicked my A/D/S 1290's to the curb. The imaging and soundstage are really impressive, the sound is smooth and deep, the tweeter is clear without being...
  22. Mr Owl

What weird or dumb beliefs did you have when you were new to Audio?

I also believed I would get good stuff cheap. What I found is, in general, you get exactly what you pay for. The best stuff I own is stuff I either paid decent $$ for, or threw decent $$ at. That $500 holy grail speaker just isn't out there (not for me anyway). :)
  23. Mr Owl

What weird or dumb beliefs did you have when you were new to Audio?

Heh, yea, that was the first "number" I learned - speaker efficiency. Which I guess matters when you're talking low power amps. But everything I've owned puts out 100 watts or above. So the efficiency doesn't matter.
  24. Mr Owl

Spin Clean Comparison

We'll have to agree to disagree. I've owned/used both. The VPI is much easier/faster/etc. I come home with a record, go right to it, and I'm done in a minute. Nothing to fill / setup / empty / dry / put away / etc. But to each their own. If you like the SC better, have at it.
  25. Mr Owl

Spin Clean Comparison

I had a spin clean, and it worked ok, but cleaning records became a pain. I figured I liked the hobby well enough to just buy a nice record cleaning machine - bought a VPI from music direct a few years ago, and have been very happy with it. Money well spent. If you have the funds, the VPI (and...
Back
Top Bottom