Search results

1. Mr Owl

Speaker Recommendation for a Wide, Shallow Room

Hey all, I moved (to NC) and thus, have changed my audio room. In fact, we have space for a "library", so I finally convinced the wife to have a nice listening area there. So I have my Martin Logan Motion 40's (which I really like) there, along with a Yamaha A-S801, and my prettier of my two...
  2. Mr Owl

A/B Speaker Comparison - How Useful?

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I've come to the conclusion that straight A/B-ing speakers is not inherently useful in picking the "better" speaker. All it does, in my opinion, is make the more efficient/clearer speaker "win". I have restored A/D/S 1290's, and KEF LS50's. In a...
  3. Mr Owl

I'm taking the KEF LS50 Plunge

I have a set of A/D/S 1290's, and I love them, but there's something about a set of bookshelves that turns my head. And I want something modern next to those vintage beauties. I've been reading about these, and going by reviews, and what people are saying in those reviews, tell me this might...
  4. Mr Owl

Props for Karmices

I bought a Dual Golden One from AK'er @Karmices. It arrived packed to the nines, and looked to be in great shape. However, there was an issue right away - the biggest issue, in fact - no sound! We had some communication back andf forth, I took it to a local guy with no luck, and tried everything...
  5. Mr Owl

Never Realized How Good Headphones Are

Have spent a few years putting together some nice audio gear, and really enjoy it. One area I never explored was headphones. That just changed. I game a lot. Xbox mostly. I use wireless headphones (some decent Sennheisers) when gaming, because it's usually late after my wife goes to sleep...
  6. Mr Owl

Marantz Gear Restored by Bob (wlhd1610)

Many of you know that Bob (wlhd1610) does Marantz restores. I'm lucky enough to live near him, so I can bring him my gear personally, and hang around and BS in his awesome shop. And he does first rate work. I had a 300DC, and wanted a preamp to go with it - I put the word out on AK, and that's...
  7. Mr Owl

Marantz 300DC Restore by Bob (wlhd1610)

A continuation of the 3800 restore by Bob (wlhd1610) As I stated, my 300DC developed a little pop in the left channel, then the meter would peg all the way right. It had been previously worked on, so I was hoping it'd be minor. It wasn't. Bob discovered the previous work done was of the duct...
  8. Mr Owl

Marantz 3800 Restore by Bob (wlhd1610)

I bought a Marantz 3800 from AK'er Bob (wlhd1610), and he lovingly restored it in his awesome shop. I thought you'd appreciate seeing the insides and his message commentary to me (posted with permission): --- Hi Dan, Your 3800 restoration is finished and it looks and sounds great! Here are a...
  9. Mr Owl

My Marantz / ADS System

Three years in the making. When I first got into this hobby, it was the Marantz stuff that made me say "ooh". The journey has been fun, and I'm really happy to be at this point. It sounds wonderful. Marantz 3800, restored by Marantz God Bob (ak'er wlhd1610) Marantz 300DC, restored by Bob as...
  10. Mr Owl

What "sound" am I looking for?

Can I get some opinions from the fine folks here? I currently run two sets of speakers: A/D/S L1290's, and Anthony Gallo Acoustics CL-4's. And I'm feeling that my holy grail is a mix of the two. Let me explain: Gallo was a client of mine, and I got these at a nice price. And I really like them...
  11. Mr Owl

CT JIM = Great Seller

Bought a Miracord 660H turntable from Jim. Quick deal, no issues at all. And man, did he pack it good, along with e-mailed (and detailed) unpacking instructions. Buy a TT from him with confidence - he'll pack it right.
  12. Mr Owl

Hello from Kingston NY

First post and all that. Name is Dan, and my friend Mike turned me on to this site. Awesome place, with lots of info. I started out in higher end audio with a set of Gallo Micro's and subwoofer (I did some writing work for them, and we worked out a trade.) Nice set, and I was happily pumping my...
Back
Top Bottom