Search results

1. EastCoastTex

Speakers with questionable "upgrades"... post your findings here.

Just saw these KLH Model 23s on the auction site. The good news, according to the seller, is that the extra drivers don’t work.
  2. EastCoastTex

Most Underrated Album from the Mid-1980s

I’ve always liked E.C.’s Trust album from 1982. Great songs and fairly well recorded.
  3. EastCoastTex

analog vs digital

I use high-res digital to make reel to reel tapes. :dunno:
  4. EastCoastTex

How Many Receivers Do you own?

Sansui 5000a Sansui 350a Sansui 5500 Sansui Z-9000 Kenwood Kr-9400 I don’t need all these but can’t seem to part with any of them.
  5. EastCoastTex

Sansui 350A - One channel Distorted, Tried all the usual tricks

I know this is an old thread, but I just had this same problem replacing 2SC458 transistors with 1845s on the F-1248 board. One of the transistors (TR704, I think) is mounted on the back of the board. While it is also a 458 it looks different and its pinout is different. See the attached. The...
  6. EastCoastTex

What tickets are in your pocket? (What's the next concert you are headed to?)

Brian Setzer tomorrow night here in San Antonio! I’m pretty pumped.
  7. EastCoastTex

Show Me Your Sansui!

Picked up this little 350a at an estate. Really clean. Has a little hiss so I think some noisy signal transistors need to be replaced, as well as a dial pointer light.
  8. EastCoastTex

Today's JAZZ playlist

Cal Tjader - The Shining Sea: This record sounds sooo good. You can hear all the complexities of the vibraphone. The recording itself just sounds better than any of the Verve issues I have.
  9. EastCoastTex

Getting ready to Overhaul Mitsubishi DA-A10 amplifier

Hayseed Hamfest might do them. I had them build multi-section caps for a tube amp.
  10. EastCoastTex

5000a with oscillating woofers

It has been 4 months and I am now ready to post the fix for my 5000a. As discussed above it was oscillating the woofers when on phono. I replaced the transistors on the Equalizer Amp board (F-1036): Problem solved. I used KSC1845 to replace the two 2SC650, and KSC1815 for the 4 2SC281.
  11. EastCoastTex

Show Me Your Sansui!

12. EastCoastTex

Show Me Your Sansui!

Z-9000. I don’t know why I always want to say “x”.
  13. EastCoastTex

Show Me Your Sansui!

scroed some cool Stuff recently. A minty 5500 and an x-9000 in decent shape. Really impressed with the 9000. I wasn’t expecting to be.
  14. EastCoastTex

What was the the last audio-related item you purchased?

I got this early eighties Sansui at an estate sale today. Has some lighting issues but otherwise seems to work well. I had never seen one before. I was skeptical of the mini equalizer tone controls but when engaged they really elevate the phono stage. Tuner works surprisingly well. 120 wpc!
  15. EastCoastTex

Need Help - Marantz 2245 Audio Static and Fluctuations

I have a 1030 that had similar sounding issues. It had a transistor on the tone (preamp) board that was bad. Since I am not any good at diagnostics, I just replaced all the signal transistors on that board and the severe static went away.
  16. EastCoastTex

KLH Model 23 Questions

If you look at his post from 2013 he’s basically saying that from his experience the two-way speakers share the same tweeter. I became interested in this subject when I found a pair of 23s with blown tweeters. Replacements pulled from a 23 were double the price of those pulled from a 17, a more...
  17. EastCoastTex

KLH Model 23 Questions

Roy C who I understand is an expert addressed the KLH tweeter compatibility on the classic speaker pages. He states that all the 4 ohm tweeters are the same except for the five. https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/4562-model-23/
  18. EastCoastTex

Thoughts on a set of 1966 fisher XP 10s

I’ve had a pair of XP-10s and I don’t think the woofers are supposed to be sealed. I seem to remember them being called “free air” woofers.
  19. EastCoastTex

Amp for my Cornwalls

I was just adding my experience driving Cornwalls with a specific tube amplifier. My experience puzzled me as well. The amp ran hotter and distorted, that is sounded fizzy to me just as my guitar amp once sounded when I under estimated its power for a gig. My only contribution to the discussion...
  20. EastCoastTex

Amp for my Cornwalls

I politely disagree. While the nominal impedance is 8 ohm, the amp is looking at that 4 ohm woofer. My HK A230 is rated 8-16 ohms and it did not cope well with the Cornwalls. The little amp is one of my favorites and drives my NAS Squires that have a 8 ohm woofer nicely. The squires have an...
  21. EastCoastTex

Amp for my Cornwalls

I had a pair of 1974 Cornwalls with Crites crossovers. They did not pair well with my restored Harman Kardon A230 (EL84) amp. It too got really hot. I think that 15”, 4 ohm woofer really stresses these amps. My HK A-500 did fine.
  22. EastCoastTex

Dynaco A25 Grille Removal

I recently removed the grills from mine here in San Antonio. Just put them in the car for a hour and the + 100 degree heat made the glue very pliable.
  23. EastCoastTex

Hearing Aids, general discussion

I don’t have this issue yet, but I’ve pondered it. It’s comforting to know hearing aid technology allows you to continue enjoying audio.
  24. EastCoastTex

5000a with oscillating woofers

I really appreciate all of your inputs on this issue. I think I'll do a restoration on the receiver and hope that the issue resolves. (The capacitors have to be in pretty bad shape at this point.) If it the restore doesn't fix it, then I'll assume it is a trait of the unit and look into a...
Back
Top Bottom