Search results

1. Grizzog

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary, a non-professional review

Similar to many on this forum, I have (too) many setups. Two pairs of Wharfedales now in the mix - the Denton 80 and the Linton. The Heritage series from Wharfedale does have a "house sound" to it, but apparently one that I very much like. I find them to be extremely easy to listen to and focus...
  2. Grizzog

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary, a non-professional review

Just got a pair of 80th today...again. I had a set a few years ago that I sold and then started missing them just recently. ...I don't remember them sounding this good. I wanted a warm set of speakers that were easy to listen to, and they are certainly that...but I don't remember this much...
  3. Grizzog

Altec 19 Ground Mod

Hi everyone, I've had my M19s for about 6 or so years now and they are from 1978. I've read about the ground mod and wondered if it was OK to try a temporary way to bypass the lugs before soldering. I haven't taken out my crossovers yet (that's this weekend's project), but I've noticed from...
  4. Grizzog

Let's talk Altec speakers / please share your experience and impressions

I've got a pair of Altec 19 in a 15' x 24' room. I don't think I'd recommend them for 12x12. They need a bit of space and distance to really sound their best. I run them on a 35-watt amp and they have no problem overwhelming my room.
  5. Grizzog

Anyone heard the JBL S3900?

I bought my JBLs from the same place. I'm still loving them. As far as Altec 19 vs the S3900...they have a very similar tone and dynamics for days. Past that, they're pretty different. The S3900 are definitely smoother and extend further in both the bass and treble. Nothing really matches the...
  6. Grizzog

So I've had the S3900s for a few weeks now. They are absolutely fantastic. I'm using them for both music and movies, so they're being driven by a Quad Artera stereo amp and a Marantz 6011 as the pre/pro. They aren't what most people associate with horns (bright, harsh, etc.), and are not bright...
  7. Grizzog

Selling off some of my other speakers and decided to give the S3900 a try. We'll see how they are!
  8. Grizzog

Show us your JBLs

Adding some more blue baffle goodness.
  9. Grizzog

As the title says, has anyone heard the JBL S3900? I'm really curious about these speakers, but the only way I can hear them is to purchase them...no dealer around has them and will only bring them in on purchase. I have the JBL 4306 and a set of Altec 19s. I love the JBL/Altec sound so I'm...
  10. Grizzog

Subwoofers to match classic Altec?

I've got a HSU ULS-15 MK II with a pair of Altec 19. It blends extremely well.
  11. Grizzog

Cornwall vs chorus 2

I'd go with the Chorus II. They have cleaner bass and a less boxy sound to them. I also prefer the larger tractrix mid in the Chorus II.
  12. Grizzog

Looking for advice on decent musical sub

...not cheap, but JTR makes amazing subwoofers. I've got the 118HT and it is the most musical sub I've owned. Some may dismiss them just because they are 18s, but that's actually what enables them to be more musical. The cone barely has to move to make sound. The 118, although powered, is 100db...
  13. Grizzog

Altec VOTT speakers...in your house?

I don't have VOTTs, but I've got 19s. IMO the 19s are the ones to have in the home. Smaller than the A7, deep bass, and plenty sensitive (~100db) for home.
  14. Grizzog

Anyone heard more than one of these?

I've owned Cornscalas and 19s. The 19s are head and shoulders above the Cornscalas.
  15. Grizzog

List your Klipsch speakers

An updated list. Owned, but sold: Promedia Heresy II Heresy III Quartet KG4 Still have: Chorus II RC64II R-115SW RS-35 KG2.5 Forte
  16. Grizzog

Crites Mods

Call or email.
  17. Grizzog

Klipsch forte ll

Chorus II. The water spot wouldn't be so bad, but I'd be concerned that it looks like the cabinet is splitting on one of them. Looks like one of the passives also may have a rip - and may require a recone...which would run about $85+ shipped. IF the cabinet isn't split, $100 would've probably...
  18. Grizzog

Samsung buys Harman-Kardon (including JBL, Crown, Lexicon, etc)

I expect it won't be too long before JBL goes the way of Altec Lansing. Hopefully I'm wrong.
  19. Grizzog

Anyone heard the new Reference Premier line?

The RB-61 are from the previous line. The RP-160M is the new 6" bookshelf model.
  20. Grizzog

List updated. Heresy II Heresy III Forte Chorus II RC-64II
  21. Grizzog

What are you using the EV horns as?
  22. Grizzog

Altec 604-8H-III (GPA) & McIntosh DREAM system!

...so...why the change of heart?
  23. Grizzog

Klipsch RF-5

Nice find! Saw some questions on the differences - the RF7/RF-7II have dual 10" woofers, larger cabinet, and a larger 1.75" compression driver vs the 1" in the RF5.
  24. Grizzog

Upgrade: Short Profile High Performance Speakers?

Which Klipsch have you heard?
  25. Grizzog

Klipsch RF-7s or RP-280Fs

Get them! :-)
Back
Top Bottom