Search results

1. nsgarch

MC275 tube rolling with mixed tubes

Guys, guys . . . . . . If you'll take the time to search back in this forum to the time when the first 'modern' iteration of the MC275 (Mk IV) came out around 2006/7, you will find a TON of articles about tube rolling in the 275, along with a lot of other tips (like the fact that the SE and BAL...
  2. nsgarch

Your favorite headphones: Opinions Wanted

+2 Sony MDR-V6 -- no competition in that price range. Full flat freq. respomnse, easy to drive, VERY comfortable, lightweight, fold-up, VERY sturdy and well built, good--looking, indestructable coil cord with combo jack, the choice of studios for 20 years, and what tumbleweed said:
  3. nsgarch

Sony monitor series headphones any good?

I found this post on Head-Fi gave me a smile -- goes right to the point :yes:: "I've owned a pair of V6's since the earth cooled. Given what you're looking for I don't think you'll be disappointed." My experience exactly (except I own two pair!) They are sooo comfortable, fold up for...
  4. nsgarch

What's a good option on using my Yamaha YH-2 headphones with a preamp?

I agree. I wouldn't want to mucky-up one of the most important interfaces in my system (amp-to-speakers). However, your preamp has two pairs of tape outputs, so you're in luck. All you need is one of these: http://www.divertech.com/aslhb1.html which is made precisely for the purpose you...
  5. nsgarch

Official Jolida JD9 thread

Look, for the last time, I'm not making any of this stuff up -- it's all on the Jolida.net site including the entire chronology, the cast of characters, and it's not hard to find. Is it true? Well, it looks like the courts think it is. And it also looks like there will be a decision very...
  6. nsgarch

JOLIDA JD9 Shenda vs Maryland + Review

RE: Jolida.com vs Jolida.net I agree about the workmanship being better on the (supposedly) illegitimate version. But there are also minor parts and circuit differences too. I posted my findings here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4934540&postcount=140 so I'm not going to...
  7. nsgarch

Frank, I did roll some super-excellent RCA and Sylvania 5751 triple-mica blackplates, and the oly difference I noticed, was the output was just a bit quieter, but no difference in the "character" of the sound. In any case, no one would be listening at the volumes at which this slight difference...
  8. nsgarch

Jolidaland Before I begin, I want to encourage everyone interested in Jolida products to read the 'Warning' and 'history' pages at www.jolida.net Apparently there are two companies, the one above, the original, and another one, www.jolida.com registered in Maryland, and making counterfeit...
  9. nsgarch

MC275 - looking for 12AT7 Suggestions

The 5751 and 6201 (ruggedized) variants of the 12AX7 and 12AT7 were (initially) designed for military use, so they HAD TO BE INTERCHANGEABLE!! I too tried various TMBP 6201's (RCA's, Sylvania, Siemens, and Valvo are some good ones) -- that is, until I got my hands on a quad of GEC A2900's...
  10. nsgarch

Not very scientific cleaning experiment

dream steam! One step (+ vacuuming) won't hurt vinyl or leave any chemicals -- and it removes EVERYTHING including mold release agent, which MUST be heated to be removed thoroughly (because it was applied hot ;~) I've tried all the fluids and all the methods as everyone, and this is...
  11. nsgarch

Any Michael Franks fan's on AK?

I don't think MF sounds any more effeminate than, say, Perry Como. Plus he's a lot better singer with a lot better material! I recently visited his website, you all might enjoy a quick visit. http://www.michaelfranks.com/
  12. nsgarch

McIntosh......Earbuds?????

I agree with you too :thmbsp: I would however, pay an obscene amount of money for the best earbuds if I listened to earbuds almost exclusively, and had the money. And there are some VERY expensive earbuds out there which produce almost unbelievably great sonics, and also include custom...
  13. nsgarch

McIntosh......Earbuds?????

I totally agree with you :thmbsp: The overpriced, unremarkable (for what it is) MT-10 being a perfect example. Do what you do best -- what you're known for! In the case of McIntosh, amps (particularly tube amps!), tuners (expecially tube tuners!) and preamps (again, especially tube preamps.)...
  14. nsgarch

Do you clean your brand new vinyl?

Hello. Before describing my own technique/products I wanted to make an important point regarding mold release agents, which somehow failed to make it into my previous post: ALL records have it on them. In the early days, with simple mono grooves and high tracking forces, I could speculate...
  15. nsgarch

Do you clean your brand new vinyl?

Yes I always clean "new" records before the first play (I define "new" here as both new out of the wrapper, and used (by someone else) but new to my collection. In addition, I'm going to explain what I use, and why. Without my making some snide comment, a remark like "Even new records...
  16. nsgarch

MC 275 with Sonus Faber speakers?

This discussion needs more focus . . . . Please at least consider that around 90% of the sonic character of any home audio system is determined by a "group" or "sub-system" consisting of the amp, the speaker(s), and the connecting (speaker) cable. Everything else -- hardware, software, even...
  17. nsgarch

MartinLogan CLS IIz panel replacement/upgrade

New panels: performance update Hey everyone; I see it's been 2 months since my original post, so I think enough time has passed to provide a fair assessment of the new panels' performance (over the old ones.) As I indicated earlier, I wasn't expecting earth-shattering...
  18. nsgarch

Speaker Connections to old amps

Here is my 'barrier strip' solution: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102809
  19. nsgarch

Which needle for McIntosh C-20 and Rega?

Grado makes moving IRON cartridges. (Joe Grado invented the moving coil cartridge BTW, and deemed them inferior!) I suggest you contact Grado and ask them about a new stylus replacement first. That may be all you need, unless you just want to blow some cash, in which case I'd still go with...
  20. nsgarch

Considering MC275 - opinions please!

Not so -- however, Mr. Listener is a very knowledgeable audiophile, so I'm sure it's just a typo :D) Nevertheless, it should read "Fixed-bias on all McIntosh tube gear."
  21. nsgarch

JBL Paragon

Copa, I said "Sorry" in case I destroyed anyone's long held fantasies. :tears: My Dad bought his Paragon during my first year at college, around 1960 or 1961. The first production acoustic suspension speaker (again if I remember correctly :yes:) the AR-4 came out later in 1965 or...
  22. nsgarch

JBL Paragon

My Dad bought a Paragon when my Mom said NO! to a second Hartsfield. The Paragon has two major problems: The solvable problem is that it needs to be up on a dias at least a foot high. Otherwise you can't see (and therefore can't hear) the 075 Ring Radiator HF drivers. This also helps get...
  23. nsgarch

:D Wallace, I understood you perfectly :yes: and it wouldn't surprise me to learn the folks at ML did exactly as you suggest. Nevertheless, I think tackling the CLX project first was a good (marketing) decision. A well-known movie producer/friend once advised me, "Always bring out the...
  24. nsgarch

Hello Wallace. First, I want to clear up for you and everyone some mis-information that is floating around: Replacement panels for earlier (pre-Summit) model MartinLogan loudspeakers are the same as the original panels which they replace except in two or three respects: The mylar diaphragm...
  25. nsgarch

You're kidding, right!? Well, maybe you're not -- but you wouldn't be saying that, if you could hear my CLS IIz v.2 :no: :D
Back
Top Bottom