Search results

1. Fishead

The Marantz Didn't Work Out - How About McIntosh MX 123?

Hey all.....bumming here in NW New Mexico because the Marantz AVR8805A just didn't work out. The sound using the "Direct" mode was just so dull and lifeless!!! I still don't get it because in Direct mode, it should just pass the incoming, analog signal on to my power amp but I'm tellin' ya...
  2. Fishead

Yamaha PX-3 surprises.....

Just thought I'd give a heads up here......I had not used my PX-3 very extensively over the last couple years, playing a record on it once in a while, maybe every couple weeks or so as it is one of three tables in my secondary system that gets used only occasionally. Well, today I fired up...
  3. Fishead

HK 670 internal phono stage, good or bad?

A friend came by one of these and asked me to help him with it as it had lost a channel. I put it on my bench and the first thing I noticed was the decades of dust and debris covering everything under the lid.....this thing had NOT been very well cared for and the way the screws of the lid came...
  4. Fishead

Pioneer SA-9100 Pre-out Question

The pre-outs on the SA-9100 have a three-position "separation" switch next to them. With the switch in NORMAL position, there is no signal from the pre-out. Is this how it should be? The user manual is not very clear on this and I was thinking there should be a signal in all three...
  5. Fishead

Tidal and Samsung TV Streaming.....app is lacking

Hey everyone.....I hope I'm in the right place here! I just subscribed to Tidal, the trial with the hifi plus package. Problem is, I'm trying to stream it with my Samsung QN85DA (made in 2021) and the app, when I download it, appears to be a "light" version. When I go to Settings to ensure...
  6. Fishead

Samsung QN85DA Smart TV problems with eARC

I'm really bummed.....got my new Marantz AV8805 all hooked up and acting very nicely indeed with everything I'm using it for EXCEPT the eARC from the Samsung QN85DA smart TV. I have the HDMI connector plugged in to the eARC input on the Samsung and going to the 8805 eARC Monitor but it does not...
  7. Fishead

Trying to understand "gain" and how to know what it is?

My thinking is that at least a few of us may have had this experience......get a new cartridge, making sure you have it set up properly and then hook everything up to the rest of your equipment. Then, you discover that things don't exactly sound as you had imagined they would.....maybe the...
  8. Fishead

Is Home Theater On Its Way Out?

I know one can still find home theater receivers from the likes of Yamaha, Denon, Marantz....however, finding a "pre-pro" seems a bit daunting from the major players of higher tier components. I purchased my Rotel RSP-1570 in 2007 (man, time flies....) along with the power amp, a RMB-1095 and...
  9. Fishead

Is A Tuner Input On Preamp Suitable For Phono?

Using a stand-alone phonostage that receives the signal from my Hana SL cartridge on my turntable, is there a reason why not to use the "Tuner" input on my Rotel RSP-1570? I figured since the signal had already been sent through the phonostage, RIAA curve applied, gain increased, that sending...
  10. Fishead

Help! All the lights went out on my Sansui 9090 SOLVED!

This was dumb, but I was working on the front light panel with the unit on because the far right fuse light was intermittent and I must have touched something with the back of the panel because suddenly, all lights including meters went dark. Only the protection light, the small green one that...
  11. Fishead

Teac X-1000R chassis screws?

Hi everyone, I'm working on my Teac X-1000R and notice that the six screws that hold the wood casing on the deck, three per side, are a bit chewed up and wondered if those are available and if so, where? See attached pictures. Thanks!
  12. Fishead

Identify these marks on vinyl record......

This may have been covered previously but I'm going to ask just the same as I think many of us here might have seen these marks but don't know from whence they came.....they look fairly ominously (the picture actually accentuates them) but have NO EFFECT on how the record plays. I have a fair...
  13. Fishead

Service manual for a Sony CMT-HPX9

I'm trying to do some work on this thing and have not been able to figure out how/where the piece goes that when you close the cassette deck door (on the top of the unit) it signals the door closed and then allows for operation. I get a message that the door is still open. It fell off as I was...
  14. Fishead

Brake fluid and idler wheels....good idea or no?

I recently received another request from a friend to do some work on something vintage and accepted an old Magnavox Micromatic console for consideration.....when will I ever learn??? The thing was pretty grungy but after cleaning it up a bit I had at least moderate hopes of getting things to...
  15. Fishead

Need a little help with Sony PS-4300

I'm hoping someone with this table will be able to help me help a friend..... Buddy of mine who knows I'm into records and turntables and such, and I have a bit of experience with doing some work on them as well, brought his ailing Sony PS-4300 to me asking if I could help him slow the drop of...
  16. Fishead

Any Black Ice Audio F-159 Owners Here?

I've owned this phonostage for about 3 years now and am wondering if there are others who have one as well? If so, what are your impressions and general observations?
  17. Fishead

Sansui 9090 power meter light grommet replacement, DIY style....

OK, so I asked the question in the other thread about the lights and replacing them with LEDs etc. etc. Now, just a short while later, I had an epiphany, or it would seem so just thought I would post it and see what everyone thinks about it. Will it work? For how long? Will it go up in...
  18. Fishead

The Walmart Reissues.....?

There was a discussion here a few weeks/months ago about records that folks were getting from Walmart and the consensus seemed to be that they were pretty good pressings and most were happy with what they got..... Question: How can one learn/find out from what source these were made? The one...
  19. Fishead

Yamaha PX-3 Question

I've been paying a lot more attention to my PX-3 lately after having procured a number of those SAE cartridges. While I'm having a lot of fun and appreciating the sound, I also noticed something a bit odd with one of my headshells! I was supplied with 2 headshells upon purchasing this table...
  20. Fishead

How to safely test a cartridge?

I know this has been discussed before but thought it might be something of value to bring up again. Say, for instance, a person were to order a cartridge or two of a vintage sort that are said to be NOS. They arrive and he puts one of them on and really loves it. He puts the other in the...
  21. Fishead

Polk Monitor 7B shifting magnet repair.....

A friend whom I am trying to help has a set of Monitor 7Bs and the mid-bass driver cone is very, very stuck on both. It won't move in or out. Funny part is that he said they played and sounded "good" last time he listened to them a few days ago. Question: Is there a thread here that...
  22. Fishead

The Beatles - Revolver (Special Super Deluxe Edition, Half-Speed Mastered Box Set: 4 LPs + 7 Inch V

Just got something from Acoustic Sounds, a pre-order offer that I'm thinking others might be interested in too. Did some reading and it sounds pretty interesting, especially for those who are hard-core Beatles fans. Anyone else here heard about it and if so, share your thoughts. My other...
  23. Fishead

The Prototype Crevice Tool Vacuuming Wand

In another thread, there was much conversation about ultrasonic cleaning and the various steps involved, including drying. There were some interesting notes regarding crevice tools, their use in the drying/vacuuming step and how to construct these. This thread will seek to further evolve and...
  24. Fishead

Dual 1219 Questions With Video

Hi all, now that I'm beginning to have a bit more time after recently retiring from my vocation of 50 years, thought I would go about getting another table into the mix and decided on my Dad's Dual 1219 that I inherited from him a long time ago but have not played very much. I actually asked...
  25. Fishead

How flat can I get this record???

OK, so about 3 months ago I set off to devise a scheme to flatten some of my records that (1) had developed mild to severe warps and, (2) that despite the ugliness, I could not bring myself to just dump although this was my first inclination I must admit. But, then, there was the Sgt. Peppers...
Back
Top Bottom