Search results

1. jdurbin1

Tandberg TR 2080 Receiver Dial Pointer Voltage & Weak FM Stereo Lamp Illunination

Dial pointer is 14V/80mA, can use a 2182 lamp for that. John
  2. jdurbin1

Tandberg TR 2080 Receiver Dial Pointer Voltage & Weak FM Stereo Lamp Illunination

Yes - it is 14V/80mA. You can use a 2182 miniature lamp to replace that. Make sure the stereo lamp is the correct type, s/b 24V/50mA and those are getting harder to find. People may sub something similar but the drive current for that lamp is quite weak and can get damaged. That said, does...
  3. jdurbin1

Tuner issue Tandberg TR2075

That would be the 1000uF/63V filter cap on the source/regulator board but that part failing would likely result in readily observed issues with the +25V supply it filters. If the FM tuner is getting the correct +25V supply, this issue has to be something else. FWIW, you've already replaced way...
  4. jdurbin1

Montclair NJ Marantz 7T, 8B, AR XA?, Tandberg RTR, Stanton 681EEE, KLH radio

Looks like a Tandberg 9041X, def one of the 9000X series and 9021X 2-track model is far less common here than the 1/4-track 9041X is. John
  5. jdurbin1

Anyone able to flash a PROM?

You might check with member Tinman on that. John
  6. jdurbin1

Acquired a Tandberg TCD 300 - startup issues

In general a tape deck isn't likely to do well on a DBT, esp. one like this with a decent-sized AC capstan motor. The motor could draw enough current to pull down the line voltage from the DBT (depending on what size bulb you have in it), which can then result in low DC voltages and abnormal...
  7. jdurbin1

Anti-Backlash spring in gear at end of tuning cap, how to reset?

Haven't seen it on a 2080, but I do recall working on that issue with one of the other models in the series... but I think I just swapped the whole mechanism out for one from a parts unit. John
  8. jdurbin1

3BX (Wood Sides) Ver. 2 Documentation Needed!

You might ask the admin of the Digital Docs forum to add it to the AK Database that's linked there. Nice work sorting out the process, there are major holes in the documentation for many of these non-Pro dbx models from back then. John
  9. jdurbin1

A/D/S line pecking order?

I'll poke around my scattered a/d/s/ lit collection and see if I can find anything on that one. John
  10. jdurbin1

Statesville NC vintage Tandberg portable RTR ends 2 PM

I'd call that a small boat anchor, more than a portable :) Granted they often came with a carrying case as seen here but it's tube powered and not capable of being used without an AC outlet close at hand. Looks like probably a stereo model 5, more of a looker than daily driver but they also...
  11. jdurbin1

Tandberg TR 2060 left channel repair

I typically apply some non-residue contact cleaner to the pots and run them back and forth gently a few times, dry and then return them to the approx starting point before powering up the receiver and taking an initial read. I find that makes them somewhat less prone to sudden value changes from...
  12. jdurbin1

Tandberg TCD340....Where didst thou run off to??

If you had it apart to the extent you pulled any of the vertical daughter boards, go back and check to make sure they went back in accurately. It's possible to be off a pin in either direction on some of those, or for a pin to have gotten bent and pushed out of the way so that connection isn't...
  13. jdurbin1

Tandberg TR 2060 left channel repair

And save the working original output pairs, there are always folks that can use them :thumbsup: John
  14. jdurbin1

Tandberg TR-1040 Tuning & Signal Strength Meters

I might have working used spares for this... for sure I've parted a few of these at some point, though the meters are often inop at that point. I'll take a look and get back to you here. John
  15. jdurbin1

Jbl 066 tweeter

I believe JBL actually used a process called "sputtering" which vapor-deposits atomized aluminum on the fabric domes, not spray paint. There's more to the process than just shaking a rattle can :cool: I met a guy locally that made his own sputtering tool out of an old microwave. Interesting...
  16. jdurbin1

Potpourri Of The Interesting Stuff

I lived in a Quonset hut briefly - one half, more specifically. My dad was stationed in Mare Island for some work being done on his ship, and we were quartered that way for a few months. The area outside the hut was dirt, not paved. Don't remember much else other than Mom wasn't a huge fan of...
  17. jdurbin1

Troubleshooting Help: Tandberg TR-2080

:lurk:
  18. jdurbin1

Luxman 5c50 2SC1345E replacement

If you haven't already, and they're still the original modules, you should plan on replacing the DML with new, modernized parts. Some info here: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/upgraded-luxman-lrs-5c50-preamp-5m21-amp.731714/ John
  19. jdurbin1

Get Ready to Smile: Favorite Engine Swaps

If they had added "extensively" in front of that, I'd feel better:) The original - even with the available welded-in braces - is not all that resistant to twisting. John
  20. jdurbin1

Tandberg TR 2075 Speaker Pop

Additionally, you may be able to reduce the amount of DC transient by unplugging and thoroughly deoxidizing the twisted pair signal cable connectors that run from preamp to rear panel I/O board, and from there back to the power amp board. This was a known weak area for the original 2075 (and...
  21. jdurbin1

Get Ready to Smile: Favorite Engine Swaps

That is SO much tidier than the stock engine compartment on a TR... but no way that frame/chassis are going to stay straight for long with that beast torquing away up front. Hell, the TR250 (same chassis) broke suspension mounts with the stock 104 HP straight six in there. Not to mention trying...
  22. jdurbin1

Formula 1 2023 - racing, tech AND driver discussions welcome here

Freddy Vasseur seems like a pretty solid guy on the pit wall... John
  23. jdurbin1

Tandberg TR 2045 - Right channel speaker cable got shorted

PS The driver pair for the right channel are Q710/Q712, s/b BC548B/BC558B respectively. R742/R744 680 ohm resistors should be checked (but they usually are visibly cooked when the damage gets this far back upstream) and the emitter resistors R750/R752 as well. It'll depend whether the output...
Back
Top Bottom