Search results

1. Nezpique

40 year old LaScala

So I pulled my old LaScala’s out of storage today. They sound kinda muffled in the upper end and the bass isn’t what it use to be. I haven’t pulled them apart yet, so not sure what to expect. They have been in a climate controlled storage for the past 20 years. Any suggestions on where to...
  2. Nezpique

Phillips vs Crites 1.5T

I just re-foamed a pair of mint Phillips FB-825's from the late 80's. They were my parents, and I remember them sounding very good when they were new. To my surprise, they are NO way near what my Crites are. The Crites are much more efficient, and much better all the way around for that...
  3. Nezpique

2220 rebuild

Just finished this beauty! Did a re cap and some wood touch up. Last thing I need to do is replace bulbs. Wanting to go led, what color will give me the most original look? thanks!!
  4. Nezpique

Akai GX-221 info

So I just acquired a GX-221. I really know nothing about R to R's but I've always wanted one to add to my vintage audio collection. I'm not sure if this thing even works, as I have no reels or tapes to try. It powers on and everything seems to function, but I'm sure it needs a major cleaning...
  5. Nezpique

Marantz 2220 issue

I just purchased a 2220 not knowing if it worked or not, well, it doesn't lol. When I power it up, the woofers move in and out to their max., It also make a low freq sound. Anything I can try that's fairly simple before I bring it in for repair?? Thanks! Wendell
  6. Nezpique

New addition to my music room

I've been considering getting my Hafler DH-500 rebuilt until I found a nice one that was already done. Man this thing brings back old memories. WOW is all I can say!
  7. Nezpique

Hafler DH-500 meters??

I have an old DH-500 and I just bought another. I'd love to add some big analog meters to the front, of course mostly for looks. Does anyone know of a kit that would work for this??? Thanks!
  8. Nezpique

Crites CS 1.5T update

Man I've gotta say that after listening to these for several months now, I'm super pleased!!! I've been running them hard and often, the bass is deep/full and tight, the voices come to life compared to all my other speakers. Currently have them running on a Marantz 2070, they sound great!!!
  9. Nezpique

16 ohm vs 8 ohm, problem?

I just built a pair of Crites CS 1.5T's. They are 8 ohm speakers but I'd like to try them with a 16 ohm mid driver, it would be plug and play. Just want to hear what the 16 ohm driver sounds like. Will it do any damage to my xovers if I give them a short listen??
  10. Nezpique

Crites CS 1.5T build

OK, since my Baby LaScala build didn't give immediate satisfaction, I decided to build a simple Crites CS 1.5T while I'm home. The Baby LaScala is not over, just put on hold for a while. Meantime, I ordered my kit from Crites yesterday and will be in tomorrow, crazy good service! Yesterday, I...
  11. Nezpique

Baby LaScala build

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/baby-lascala-build.909233/ WOW!, Should've posted this thread here, not sure how I missed it.
  12. Nezpique

Baby LaScala build

Not sure if this is where to post this?? I own a pair of Klipsch LaScala's but my brother has them as my wife won't let me have them in our home. With all of this Covid 19 bs going on, thought it'd be a good time to build a pair of baby lascala's. Really, I'm only building the base cabinet...
  13. Nezpique

Is it worth messing with?

I found a Carver PM 2.0T amp yesterday just down the road from me. I can get it for $10, just not sure if it works or not. Are these amps musical?? or were they designed as a guitar amp? This thing has some crazy high wattage output, like 400 plus amps per channel. Any thoughts?
  14. Nezpique

FINALLY, halfway thru my Vintage Audio Room

Been collecting some of my favorite childhood receivers, yes I love the looks and sound of these beautiful pieces of equipment. As the kids grew up and left home, I was left with a couple of empty rooms, so what else but to display this equipment I picked up and nursed back to life. Please...
  15. Nezpique

Optimus 1, BA a-100's and 70's score

Found a deal on local craig's list for some Boston Acoustic speakers. Turns out the guy was the original owner and was downsizing. I bought a pair of Boston a-100's, a-70's and Optimus 1's. The BA a-100's are mint other than needing refoam. The 70's are decent shape as well as needing a...
  16. Nezpique

Fair price on a Sansui AU-717

I'm kind of looking at a completely refurbished AU-717, really want one, just don't know if its worth the $$. Looks like new all around, they're asking $800 obo. What ya think?
  17. Nezpique

Phillips FB-825 question

I bought my parents a complete sound system in the late 80's. The only thing that I really liked in the system after listening to them for years was the speakers (FB-825's). I just inherited them, and of course they need to be completely re-foamed. Does anyone know where I can find the foam...
  18. Nezpique

Bose series 1

I'm considering buying a pair of 901's. Although I don't think Bose sound good, they have a classic look and they would look great in my new vintage audio room. I can pick these up locally for $200 a pair (no EQ or stands) and they are in perfect shape as far as wood and grills. As a...
  19. Nezpique

Hafler DH-500 upgrade??????

OK, I know I've asked this before, but I've been collecting vintage receivers and lost interest in my DH-500, at least for a while. Now, I'm looking at a company on ebay to upgrade/rebuild my DH-500 and matching Hafler pre-amp. While I LOVE the looks of my old vintage receivers, I don't think...
  20. Nezpique

multi speaker/amp switching device

Hello guys and gals! I'm setting up my audio room (FINALLY). I'd like to be able to put multiple vintage receivers and speakers with some sort of switching device where I can change from any receiver to any pair of speakers. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy this instead of trying...
  21. Nezpique

Pioneer SX-828 receiver question

I purchased a nice SX-828 last year, all I did was change the old bulbs to led's. Sounded wonderful when I put it up, as good or better than any Sansui & Marantz in that amp range. I went to hook it up today and there was no sound on A, B or C channel. Tried FM and aux, but no sound, all...
  22. Nezpique

Pioneer SX-780 cabinet build

I recently picked up a few new receivers that were in great shape except the cabinet, isn't that pretty common? Anyway, just started building a replica for the SX-780 out of solid walnut sides and walnut ply on top. I see guys making these with different woods and dimensions, I wanted to keep...
  23. Nezpique

Electro Voice X8 & X36 Xovers

I have a pair of these and was wondering their quality? I am researching some speaker kits to build and thought I could possibly use these. They were removed from a pair of La Scala replicas I built years ago.
  24. Nezpique

Hafler DH-500, is it worth the trouble

I have a Hafler DH-500 in my attic. I know for a fact that one or all of the mosfet transistors are bad on the left channel. Can it be repaired with original mosfets at a reasonable price? Don't need all that power now, but how would it sound say compared to a vintage Sansui receiver.
  25. Nezpique

Bulb for SX-780

Looking for a set of bulbs for my Pioneer SX-780. It's an 8 volt, .3 amp bulb that just slides in the socket. I've looked at several radio shacks as well as online at MCM and Parts Express with no luck. I've found 12 volt but think they might be too dim.
Back
Top Bottom