Search results

1. gearhound

Herter's mail order catalog

Remember them? Well, you would if you were alive-n'-kickin' back in the 50's and 60's. :yes: I found an old Herter's 'Improved *Bowie Knife' at one of the local thrifts today. *Funny, it looks like a wooden handled paring knife, but who am I to quibble? :scratch2: It's an older model, as...
  2. gearhound

Baltimore Orioles HOF Eddie Murray charged with insider trading by the SEC

He ended up settling with the SEC, without admitting guilt. So much for being a.....'role model'? :no: Steve :sigh:
  3. gearhound

Hailstorm

Jeez.....we JUST got clobbered by one brutal hailstorm. ALL my outdoor lighting was smashed to pieces by marble sized hailstones, in a storm that went on and on for a good 20 minutes! :tears: LOTS of hail damage around the neighborhood for sure. An ambulance came down our street about five...
  4. gearhound

Denmark bound

My wife is up in Madison, WI. helping our oldest daughter get ready for her move to Denmark next week. She received a PhD in Chemical Engineering from the Univ. of Wisconsin/Madison this summer. :banana: She will be doing post doc research at the Danish Technological Institute, about 10...
  5. gearhound

The pet that's impossible to get mad at

We have a 15 month old all-gray male Cat, appropriately named.....Pistol. He's sweet, loving, playful, and according to my wife and her friends.....utterly adorable. He's also as subtle as a bull in a China shop! :sigh: If it can be broken, Pistol will be there to break it!? :tears...
  6. gearhound

Mahjong

My wife and a few of her friends are in a Mahjong group. Some of the Asian guys at work would play it during lunch break. But my Jewish Grandmother and some of her friends would whip out the tiles, and play all day. What in the world is the connection between Asian Mahjong and older...
  7. gearhound

On reaching the 10K post mark

It's amazing that I could babble through 10,000 posts, without saying anything of real substance.....:sigh:...... Maybe I should run for public office? :D Steve :banana:
  8. gearhound

Trying to locate tube tester schematic

Hello! I'm trying to locate a schematic for a Sencore TC-114 tube tester. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :yes: THANKS!! Steve
  9. gearhound

London Police lose keys to Olympic Stadiums

I mean, ya just can't make this kinda stuff up???? :sigh:
  10. gearhound

Tube tester maintenance

I noticed that my tube tester, a 1963 Sencore Might Mite TC-114, was starting to 'act up'? :sigh: As I was scratching my head trying to figure out my next move, I remembered that even a tube tester contains....a tube!? :yes: So I opened it up, and there staring me in the face, was a GE...
  11. gearhound

LA Confidential

I just watched that movie yesterday, for like the 88th time or something!? :D GREAT cast and story line!! I means, what's NOT to like? :thmbsp: Steve
  12. gearhound

Alligators in the basement

Anyone here own rental property? Despite the house having been recently fixed up from basemen-to-roof, my recent tenant has found more minor things to complain about? :no: In my frustration, I even asked...... "You haven't found any alligators in the basement yet, have you?"...
  13. gearhound

skin cancer?

Jeez....I've had more moles pop up on me in the last year or two than corn in a corn field? :sigh: So far....ONE....mole turned out to be skin cancer, but it's still unnerving never the less. I'm seeing the doctor again next week to look at another growth!? My late Mother had all sorts of...
  14. gearhound

Would you like nuts with your meal?

My wife and I are have a rare dinner out tonight, when the woman at the table next to us started to tell us her life story??? :sigh: And she went on, and on, and on, and on, and on......:tears:....... My wife's yelling at the waitress....."CHECK"....."CHECK"....."CHECK". When I finally paid...
  15. gearhound

Japanese vacuum tubes

For all the discussions concerning NOS versus Current Production tubes, Japanese vacuum tubes always seem to be the 'invisible man' in these discussions? :scratch2: Certainly it seems, according to on-line threads that is, NOT up to the standards of European, British, or American-made...
  16. gearhound

OMG!!?? I just got an e-mail from The Scooter Store!?

NOW.....I feel old!!!!! :sigh: Could I get one with a supercharger and six speed manual transmission? :thmbsp: Steve :D
  17. gearhound

Newest Baltimore Orioles.....Jim Thome

The Orioles picked up slugger (and future HOF inductee) Jim Thome from the Philadelphia Phillies, for two minor league players. Orioles hitting has been gawd-awful of late, and the addition of Jim Thome in hitter-friendly Camden Yards....MIGHT....be the spark that the Orioles need to re-start...
  18. gearhound

Bird killing machine

My younger Sheltie has grown quite adept at hunting down small birds? :sigh: Afterwards, she brings me their dead little bodies....as presents. :no: She's gone after MUCH larger Road Runners also, but without much luck....so far. While I can understand her natural 'hunting instinct', I...
  19. gearhound

New DIY tube amp bedroom system

This RH84 SE tube amp ended up in our bedroom, along with a pair of modified Dynaco A-10 speakers. The 'stereo stand' is a 100 year old dresser, made by Texas Mennonites. Steve :thmbsp:
  20. gearhound

Driving Miss Daisy

Unlike my previous residence (Maryland), New Mexico is a HUGE Western state. Driving time is usually measured in HOURS! My wife LOVES to go for long drives in rural New Mexico. :yes: Unfortunately,....for me...., she is NO LONGER willing to help out with the driving? :nono: There is NO...
  21. gearhound

I hate intermittent problems

I just finished building an RH84 amplifier for my wife's office. Sounds pretty nice....but....if you move it slightly or even tap it lightly, the left channel momentarily cuts out. :no: I probably screwed up, and have a bad solder joint somewhere in the left channel. :nono: I've been...
  22. gearhound

CHIEF brand vacuum tubes

Does anyone know who manufactured tubes for CHIEF? Or did they just buy tubes from the 'lowest' bidder? :scratch2: Thanks! Steve
  23. gearhound

Bonnie Raitt coming to Santa Fe, NM

I've been a HUGE fan of her's since 1970!!! :yes: But I will NOT be seeing her this time around. :tears: Why you ask? Because ticket prices START at $244!? :sigh: Bonnie, Bonnie, Bonnie, I'm sooooo disappointed! :nono: Steve :thumbsdn:
  24. gearhound

Out of the blue...................

My wife sat next to me on the couch, and we spent the night listening to music. She NEVER does that? I wonder how much this is gonna cost me? :scratch2: Steve :D
  25. gearhound

Mullard flash....or not???

I have two IDENTICAL Amperex branded 12AT7 tubes. BOTH made in Great Britain at Mullard's Blackburn facility, with identical date codes also. However, one tube has the famous (or infamous) Mullard flash on start up, while the other does NOT??? :scratch2: I'm at a loss to understand this, as...
Back
Top Bottom